Arvoitus

Is America really this racists?

Jail officer accused in inmate's death felt 'threatened'

McClain – who had been in custody since May 28 on misdemeanor charges of possession of drug paraphernalia and consuming malt beverage on public property – was taken to WakeMed, where he remained on life support until his death on June 17.

Dude was drinking beer in public whilst in possession of a weed pipe -> gets sent to jail cause his black.

Affluenza Defense: Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation For Killing 4 Pedestrians While Driving Drunk

Authorities said the teen and friends were seen on surveillance video stealing two cases of beer from a store. He had seven passengers in his Ford F-350, was speeding and had a blood-alcohol level three times the legal limit, according to testimony during the trial. His pickup truck slammed into the four pedestrians, killing Brian Jennings, a 43-year-old Burleson youth minister; Breanna Mitchell of Lillian, 24; Shelby Boyles, 21; and her 52-year-old mother, Hollie Boyles.

Rich white boy steals beer, gets drunk and kills couple of pedestrians on hid daddy's SUV -> slap on the wrist.

America, fuck yeah!
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

Jail officer accused in inmate's death felt 'threatened'

McClain – who had been in custody since May 28 on misdemeanor charges of possession of drug paraphernalia and consuming malt beverage on public property – was taken to WakeMed, where he remained on life support until his death on June 17.

Dude was drinking beer in public whilst in possession of a weed pipe -> gets sent to jail cause his black.

Affluenza Defense: Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation For Killing 4 Pedestrians While Driving Drunk

***Authorities said the teen and friends were seen on surveillance video stealing two cases of beer from a store. He had seven passengers in his Ford F-350, was speeding and had a blood-alcohol level three times the legal limit, according to testimony during the trial. His pickup truck slammed into the four pedestrians, killing Brian Jennings, a 43-year-old Burleson youth minister; Breanna Mitchell of Lillian, 24; Shelby Boyles, 21; and her 52-year-old mother, Hollie Boyles.

Rich white boy steals beer, gets drunk and kills couple of pedestrians on hid daddy's SUV -> slap on the wrist.

America, fuck yeah! I think you're wrong. You don't know the full story. If he were white, drunk, with the drug stuff, he would go to jail too. My guess, this guy would have been let out of jail after sobering up for just a misdemeanor. The "black" jail officer sure slammed him. Looked excessive to me. Just look how big the jail officer is.
The judge who passed on the white kid needs to go. In Montana, they are trying to shutdown a judge who was excessively lenient with a child rapist. The victim committed suicide. Me, I think they should get a rope for the judge and the rapist.http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-montana-judge-complaint-rape-20130924,0,5695846.story
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Boogers

Why yes, you're correct, the entire country is really like this.

all 300 million of us. every single one is exactly the same as every single other one

yup - no need to even try to understand people, they are all exactly the same

the irony of the original post is absolutely amazing

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Good response. Made me laugh.

Trying to compare actions between judges, jurisdictions, states, etc. is pointless. I have had a felon with six prior convictions get his probation extended in one county while the first time offender who cussed out her ex on voice mail got thirty days in jail in the next county.

Be careful where you choose to be a criminal.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Surprise!!!! the rich get treated better:

However I don’t think America is “This racist” I think America is one of the places on this planet that is least racist considering the amount of diversity we have.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Surprise!!!! the rich get treated better

Right answer. Wealth is positively correlated with one's parents' wealth, which is positively correlated with racial background (although it's more mixed than it used to be).

And since wealth buys power, and people want power, they curry favor with the wealthy.

In the case of the drunken teenager, the argument was that he could be returned to productiveness with extremely expensive treatment that the parents can afford. And since he's very young, that might even be true. Obviously poor people can't afford that treatment. And no one needs the favor of poor people, except for other poor people, and some politicians.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Surprise!!!! the rich get treated better

Right answer. Wealth is positively correlated with one's parents' wealth, which is positively correlated with racial background (although it's more mixed than it used to be).

And since wealth buys power, and people want power, they curry favor with the wealthy.

In the case of the drunken teenager, the argument was that he could be returned to productiveness with extremely expensive treatment that the parents can afford. And since he's very young, that might even be true. Obviously poor people can't afford that treatment. And no one needs the favor of poor people, except for other poor people, and some politicians.

Wendy P.

. The first thing this kids needs in his "treatment" is time behind bars in the company of bums like himself. He should be "returned to productiveness" (who says he was ever productive?) like anyone else. Only then can his parent's fix their poor "sick" boy.

rickjump1

The first thing this kids needs in his "treatment" is time behind bars in the company of bums like himself. He should be "returned to productiveness" (who says he was ever productive?) like anyone else. Only then can his parent's fix their poor "sick" boy.

Speaking from the standpoint of working in a lawfirm the last 5 years (not as a lawyer)... irrelevant. Your ability to navigate the system (criminal or civil) is determined entirely on how much money you can throw at the problem.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Fast

***The first thing this kids needs in his "treatment" is time behind bars in the company of bums like himself. He should be "returned to productiveness" (who says he was ever productive?) like anyone else. Only then can his parent's fix their poor "sick" boy.

Speaking from the standpoint of working in a lawfirm the last 5 years (not as a lawyer)... irrelevant. Your ability to navigate the system (criminal or civil) is determined entirely on how much money you can throw at the problem. Somehow I already knew this. However, it has been pointed out that not all counties are alike. Could you agree that the "right" judge could at least get this kid some time while they do "navigate" the system?

davjohns

Good response. Made me laugh.

Trying to compare actions between judges, jurisdictions, states, etc. is pointless. I have had a felon with six prior convictions get his probation extended in one county while the first time offender who cussed out her ex on voice mail got thirty days in jail in the next county.

You don't see this as an issue?

To me elected judges, sherrifs and DA's create a problem in the justicial system. Justice isn't based on what's right or wrong...it is based on campaign funding and re-election. It is absolutely stupid.

SkyDekker

***Good response. Made me laugh.

To me elected judges, sherrifs and DA's create a problem in the justicial system. Justice isn't based on what's right or wrong...it is based on campaign funding and re-election. It is absolutely stupid.

This is a common argument for so-called "merit selection" of judges and chief prosecutors. It's also naive. Politics and money - and being beholden to others for one's office - is every bit as much involved in the nomination and anointment of judges and chief prosecutors under an "appointed" system as under an elective system; it just has some different nuances, mostly cosmetic. In fact, an under-funded, poorly-"connected" "outsider" has (long story short) at least a genuine, sporting chance of attaining judicial office under an elective system; whereas under an appointment system the same person's chances would effectively be nil.

Andy9o8

******Good response. Made me laugh.

This is a common argument for so-called "merit selection" of judges and chief prosecutors. It's also naive. Politics and money - and being beholden to others for one's office - is every bit as much involved in the nomination and anointment of judges and chief prosecutors under an "appointed" system as under an elective system; it just has some different nuances, mostly cosmetic. In fact, an under-funded, poorly-"connected" "outsider" has at least a sporting chance of attaining judicial office under an elective system; whereas under an appointment system the same person's chances would effectively be nil.

Of course it is....just like it is in any corporation.

But I'd rather have the politics associated with a merit system amongst intelligent people than an elective system leading to justice based on popular opinion.

If it is such a great system, why aren't the judges for the Supreme Court elected?

it has been pointed out that not all counties are alike.

Most other countries are way more corrupt then the US.

Could you agree that the "right" judge could at least get this kid some time while they do "navigate" the system?

I think a different judge might have a different result but i think that points to a problem with the system.
But i agree there is a reason why some judges are known as hanging judges.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Without getting into it at length (I am working now :)), the analysis of a judge-candidate's "merit", especially at the state-court level (as opposed to federal courts, where the judicial quality is generally pretty high) is really as much about political relationships as it is about comparative qualifications (on every level) to serve as a judge. In the real world: little or no real difference.

There are problems with each system. One of the reasons why the Supreme Court (and other federal judgeships in the US) seem to be less prone to corruption is the nationally-prominent (i.e. Senate) confirmation hearings that are required.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

There are problems with each system. One of the reasons why the Supreme Court (and other federal judgeships in the US) seem to be less prone to corruption is the nationally-prominent (i.e. Senate) confirmation hearings that are required.

Wendy P.

Right, I agree. They aren't simply elected.

wmw999

There are problems with each system. One of the reasons why the Supreme Court (and other federal judgeships in the US) seem to be less prone to corruption is the nationally-prominent (i.e. Senate) confirmation hearings that are required. Wendy P.

You're generally correct that federal judgeships seem less prone to naked corruption, especially at the appellate court level (although I suppose any judge, federal or state, could theoretically behave corrupt..ly(?) once in office). But it would still be naive for anyone (not referring to you) to think that the political relationships underpinning a federal judge-candidate's initial nomination are not themselves built on a foundation (at least partly) of money, in several forms: political contributions, shared (or at least "in-network") financial or business interests, insider information, etc.

Everything in America is built on a foundation of money.

Right now its maintenance by those who have it is given precedence over its acquisition by those who don't, but that'll change.

Whether by making the private sector more honestly competitive, or some other (less desirable) means remains to be seen.

Wendy P.

Hanging judges like Judge Roy Bean no doubt took up the slack for a genuine lack of law and order west of the Pecos River. Their time is long gone.

Want to buy a judge today? There are places you can, and it's not always at the Hick County Courthouse.

I dont know we are talking about this like its a mystery. It should be like this in every country. Getting off on criminal charges is almost always easier if you come from a family of prosperity or wealth. Should apply in russia, cambodia, saudi arabia...etc. Same common denominator.

regulator

Should apply in russia, cambodia, saudi arabia...etc. Same common denominator.

no, no, no, !!!!

it's only america (and various misspelled versions of america) everyone else is perfect - maybe they have no muscle tone, or smell like ashtrays, but perfect.

pay attention people

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants