jclalor

New Mexico cop gets fired

Thought I saw that come up in some other SC thread.

But anyway, the whole thing isn't entirely one-sidedly a case of dumb cops. Not entirely.

It sort of comes down to the issue of whether a cop is allowed to fire at a fleeing vehicle. Maybe that's allowed, maybe it isn't, maybe it is a massive over reaction these days.

That particular cop wasn't part of the initial traffic stop incident so may not have fully realized who all was in the minivan. He was on scene when the vehicle was stopped the second time, and the mom inside decided to flee police again and took off.

So she did up the ante. It was a level beyond cases of people who get shot at or tasered by cops just for not complying with every order a cop gives.

I've been shot at in Taos, NM. I think it was a Mexican though.

The rule of thumb at the time was, 80% of the people are driving around high on something 80% of the time and they all have guns. My personal rule, don't f*** around with the the NM State Troopers. They just look like Gestapo.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I've been shot at in Taos, NM. I think it was a Mexican though.

The rule of thumb at the time was, 80% of the people are driving around high on something 80% of the time and they all have guns. My personal rule, don't f*** around with the the NM State Troopers. They just look like Gestapo.

She should have just signed the ticket and avoided putting her children in the middle of that.

As soon as I found out she was home schooling those kids, I knew the odds were high that she was nuts.

jclalor

***I've been shot at in Taos, NM. I think it was a Mexican though.

She should have just signed the ticket and avoided putting her children in the middle of that.

As soon as I found out she was home schooling those kids, I knew the odds were high that she was nuts.

Your last statement is just a troll, right?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

******I've been shot at in Taos, NM. I think it was a Mexican though.

Your last statement is just a troll, right?

Not really, I find that most homeschooled children, along with thier parents are socially inept. I think anyone who gets out of the house just a little more often, and in particular a black woman, would know you shouldn't fuck around with an enraged cop pointing a gun at you and your children.

jclalor

Not really, I find that most homeschooled children, along with thier parents are socially inept. I think anyone who gets out of the house just a little more often, and in particular a black woman, would know you shouldn't fuck around with an enraged cop pointing a gun at you and your children.

http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/829839/are-homeschooled-kids-really-lacking-in-socialization

Ah, maybe you need to get out more.:)

RonD1120

http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/829839/are-homeschooled-kids-really-lacking-in-socialization

Did you read the article? Did you not find it somewhat one-sided? Did you notice how the "supporting evidence" all came from authors who are clearly homeschool biased?

Were you homeschooled?

SkyDekker

Did you read the article? Did you not find it somewhat one-sided? Did you notice how the "supporting evidence" all came from authors who are clearly homeschool biased?

Were you homeschooled?

My unscientific anecdotal evidence is that the vast majority of homeschooled kids and their parents I've personally come into contact with in my adult life (I'm over 50) have been pretty fucking weird. Not exactly double-blind, published and peer-reviewed, but it's enough to convince me.

P.S., the only other group I find as disproportionately (even if not universally) socially awkward (or just plain odd) are Catholic nuns and priests. No real surprise there, either.

My unscientific anecdotal evidence is that the vast majority of homeschooled kids and their parents I've personally come into contact with in my adult life (I'm over 50) have been pretty fucking weird. Not exactly double-blind, published and peer-reviewed, but it's enough to convince me.

[Devils advocate] Confirmation bias? What if you come into contact with a lot of perfectly normal homeschooled people but the subject never comes up because they're normal?[/DA]
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

[Devils advocate] Confirmation bias? What if you come into contact with a lot of perfectly normal homeschooled people but the subject never comes up because they're normal?[/DA]

On balance, I'm comfortable with my post. See added emphases.

Andy9o8

On balance, I'm comfortable with my post. See added emphases.

this.

"vast majority" being the key phrase.

I've run into a few who weren't a little strange. I've even run into a couple who were downright normal (more so than their parents who were homeschooling them).

but yes... vast majority... weird.

yes.
--
Rob

Have you tried communicating with a public schooled child? Have you tried to take their video game player away from them? Have you paid attention to their sentence structure? Have you observed their spelling? Have you seen adolescents socially interacting face to face instead of texting? Have you noticed how many are on Rx meds?

Andy9o8

Were you homeschooled?

P.S., the only other group I find as disproportionately (even if not universally) socially awkward (or just plain odd) are Catholic nuns and priests. No real surprise there, either.

What you said reminds me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNDH-iJArzs

Have you tried communicating with a public schooled child? Have you tried to take their video game player away from them? Have you paid attention to their sentence structure? Have you observed their spelling? Have you seen adolescents socially interacting face to face instead of texting? Have you noticed how many are on Rx meds?

Have you? How much contact with young people do you actually have in your Georgia mountain enclave?

- Dan G

DanG

Have you? How much contact with young people do you actually have in your Georgia mountain enclave?

Good morning Snarky,
I was referring to children in FL. Up here, there is a fair amount of home schooling plus we are more family oriented even for the public schooled.

Andy9o8

Were you homeschooled?

Interesting. My daughter shot on a local rifle team with a bunch of home-schooled kids. They were all wonderful as far as I was concerned. Home-school programs usually encourage social / sports activities for socialization. Programs in the South are often coupled with mainstream schools so HS kids can participate on school sports teams. This rifle team was affilitaed with a 4H club. The parents were very involved. The kids went to matches all over the SouthEast. I didn't see anything awkward about any of them or any of the other kids at matches and camps.

Priests, Monks, Nuns, Friars, Brothers, etc. are among my favorite people to share travel arrangements with. I've had wonderful conversations with them that made plane rides zip by and left me wishing we had more time together.

On the flip side of home-schooling, I had a nephew who was supposedly home-schooled. It was interesting that it matched his reclusive personality and propensity for seeking prescription meds / retreat from reality. When he finally succeeded in over-dosing (after several near calls), his family was certain it was the doctor's fault.

Like so many things, home-schooling is a tool. It can turn out very well or very badly. It all depends on who is weilding it and how.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Like so many things, home-schooling is a tool. It can turn out very well or very badly. It all depends on who is weilding it and how.

I'm sure you'll agree it's not just the how, but the why.

Good insights, and thank you. Part of the difference in our respective perspectives is, no doubt, sub-cultural and regional. Birmingham, Alabama and Upstate New York are separated by more than just miles. ;)

I competely agree. I almost added 'why', but thought it would be subsumed in the 'how'.

To the OP: I was advised in the Police Academy to never fire at tires. It just doesn't work like they show it on TV. The instructor was an amazingly experienced and grounded veteran. I just took his advice on face value. He also pointed out that shooting from a moving vehicle at a moving vehicle involves physics that make it nearly impossible to hit what you aim at and incredibly dangerous.

I don't know about the policies of the NM department, but my experience indicates that this officer acted unreasonably and should have been fired quicker.

BTW - I've also shot padlocks like they show on TV (I did it in a controlled environment). Those things are amazingly tough. Don't bother. Just whack the clasp the lock is holding or kick in the silly wooden door. Those things give easily. The lock will still be locked long after you are dead unless you have bolt cutters or the key.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

amazing what hollywood can convince us of, isn't it?

as for shooting or not, i think that the biggest problem with this situation was the backup. who in the hell would pull up to a vehicle where the officer is in need of assistance and not try to block the other vehicle in? had that happened, we wouldn't be having this discussion. although, it could have been much worse.

just an observation...