turtlespeed

No Chase Rule

Evidently, there is a "No Chase Rule" in the area that I live in.

Scenario - True - as far as the teller of the story believes it to be true.

1) Truck stolen from place of work.
2) Police called within 5 or 10 minutes
3) Police show up, take report, go on their way
4) Owner discovers Bicycle in bushes near where truck was parked, goes back in to call cops back out, as he suspected, the thief used the bike to the scene of the crime.
5) Meanwhile :o:D:D - the thief goes back and grabs his bike.(Balls)
6) Cops show up for the second time.

here is where it gets unpleasant . . .

7) Cops explain to victim that they just effing saw the perp driving his truck, they turned their lights on ("lit him up") and he blew through the stoplight. They called off their pursuit.:|

WTF? >:( Did they forget they have a radio?:| Seriously!>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Evidently, there is a "No Chase Rule" in the area that I live in.

They correctly believe that the lives of innocent bystanders are more important than the difference between a truck's replacement cost and insurance coverage.

DrewEckhardt

***Evidently, there is a "No Chase Rule" in the area that I live in.

They correctly believe that the lives of innocent bystanders are more important than difference between a truck's replacement cost and insurance coverage.

Awesome -

TAKING ALL CAR THIEVES HERE!

WE WILL NOT CHASE YOU.

HAVE A FREE CAR!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

billvon

>WE WILL NOT CHASE YOU.
>HAVE A FREE CAR!

Better to not kill people than to chase someone through busy streets.

So, have a free car, thieves!

turtlespeed

***>WE WILL NOT CHASE YOU.
>HAVE A FREE CAR!

It's a bit less binary than that. Just because you don't pursue now doesn't mean you've given up forever. But the no chase rules come after a few too many bystanders get killed by these chases.

kelpdiver

******>WE WILL NOT CHASE YOU.
>HAVE A FREE CAR!

It's a bit less binary than that. Just because you don't pursue now doesn't mean you've given up forever. But the no chase rules come after a few too many bystanders get killed by these chases.

Well at least the crook got away.
AND he got away with all the tools this victim uses to make his living.

That's a good thing, right?

we know you're angry here, but you're not coming up with a solution.

Is it, damn the torpedos, keep chasing even if it means some innocents die? That was the rejected status quo. Do you have a new answer?

The no chase rule would be more effective if the bad guys didn't know about it, no doubt.

kelpdiver

Is it, damn the torpedos, keep chasing even if it means some innocents die? That was the rejected status quo. Do you have a new answer?

The no chase rule would be more effective if the bad guys didn't know about it, no doubt.

No.

You radio other police cars. Their drivers are usually able to drive them ahead of the pursuit. Radio travels MUCH faster than a car can.

dispatch a chopper and follow him around until he runs out of gas and has to fill up.

Use good judgement: obviously if he is going to be an ass when he's driving, it is not just the cops that will make him do that.

They didn't even TRY.

As soon as the lights went on, the gas pedal was pressed . . . they bailed.

Fuck that!

I thinki have an IDEA

Maybe we should put something to notify people to get out of the road, maybe bright lights, and loud sounds coming from the vehicles. YES i got it:)We should also let people know to get the fuck out of the way when they hear such noises or see the oncoming lights.

:D

Sorry just playing devils advocate

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

kelpdiver

I feel another 'for the children' ploy coming soon.

>Well at least the crook got away.
>AND he got away with all the tools this victim uses to make his living.
>That's a good thing, right?

No, they should chase him down no matter what. Schools in the area? Who cares! Dead kids are a good thing, right? You'd be fine with dead kids as long as your car was recovered more quickly.

billvon

>Well at least the crook got away.

No, they should chase him down no matter what. Schools in the area? Who cares! Dead kids are a good thing, right? You'd be fine with dead kids as long as your car was recovered more quickly.

You should take a moment and read the posts above before hitting the post button.:D

That is not at all my attitude.

I think there are several other tools at the disposal of the Bryan PD that were not utilized, or even considered.

ETA: Way to PTP as opposed to PTB, Bill - You have gotten so good at that over the years.:ph34r:

Darius11

I thinki have an IDEA

Maybe we should put something to notify people to get out of the road, maybe bright lights, and loud sounds coming from the vehicles. YES i got it:)We should also let people know to get the fuck out of the way when they hear such noises or see the oncoming lights.

:D

Sorry just playing devils advocate

Doesn't really work for the common scenarios that end these chases
1- suspect tbones another car at an intersection. No chance for that driver to have seen the flashing lights, unlikely to have heard the sirens either of the chase going well over 100 feet per second.
2- suspect loses control and crashes into people not even on the road. Should they have climbed up trees when they first heard the sirens?

Turtle- the fact that departments across the country have gone in this direction suggests that maybe the problem is a bit harder than you understand?

turtlespeed

***>Well at least the crook got away.

You should take a moment and read the posts above before hitting the post button.:D

That is not at all my attitude.

I think there are several other tools at the disposal of the Bryan PD that were not utilized, or even considered.

ETA: Way to PTP as opposed to PTB, Bill - You have gotten so good at that over the years.:ph34r:

Do you know for a fact the police did not radio the description, and direction of the car out when they stopped pursuing?

Do you know for a fact that police department had a helicopter nearby and available to search for a stolen car?

A very large portion of law enforcement agencies have some sort of pursuit-limiting policy. Very few have an all out No Chase policy. Many that I know of limit it to violent felonies only, a few have "supervisor's call" policy, and some have an anything goes, "We Am Da LAW!" policy. The most common that I know of limits it to violent felonies: bank robberies, murders, kidnapping, shootings, etc, and specifically restricts traffic, DWI, larceny, and non-violent felonies)

Realistically I understand why departments go that way: it's all about limiting liability. The problem is, as you so aptly put it, the bad guys know and so they just run. (if they really want to limit liability, just don't give your officers vehicles: no driving means no wrecks and no chases, and cuts complaints; or hey, just close down, then you have no liability :S)

My thoughts? I think the legislators need to pass a law that running from the police in a car (felony fleeing and eluding or whatever your jurisdiction calls it) is a mandatory 20 year prison sentence, no probation, no deals. Make it a highest class felony up there with aggravated rape and premeditated murder. Make it so the penalty for running is worse than whatever they're running for.

If a chase is that dangerous (because of the suspect, not the cops, remember?), then make it carry such a penalty that you're only going to do it to escape a murder rap. Then give discretion back to LEOs and their supervisors to conduct a pursuit as needed. That douche bag that stole Turtle's buddy's car? See if he blows that red light and runs when he's staring down twenty years in the can.

Don't neuter law enforcement, penalize the dangerous law breakers. Makes sense, no?

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

base283

The other side of coin is here Clicky

Take care,
space

Why is that chase relevant to this discussion? No innocent bystanders or police were injured, and the suspects died by police gunfire, not traffic collision.

Yes, the officers who broke policy to join the chase were wrong and apparently deserve discipline, but what does that have to do with banning pursuits? The article also fails to mention the reason for the initial stop and what led to officers shooting the suspects.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

turtlespeed

***>WE WILL NOT CHASE YOU.
>HAVE A FREE CAR!

Kids killed on school crossing ..... but on a brighter note, the owner gets his car back ... after it was valeted.. more at 10

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

turtlespeed

***we know you're angry here, but you're not coming up with a solution.

No.

You radio other police cars. Their drivers are usually able to drive them ahead of the pursuit. Radio travels MUCH faster than a car can.

dispatch a chopper and follow him around until he runs out of gas and has to fill up.

Use good judgement: obviously if he is going to be an ass when he's driving, it is not just the cops that will make him do that.

They didn't even TRY.

Fuck that!

Here in Texas, motor vehicle theft of a vehicle valued between $500.00 - $20.000.00 is a Class-A misdemeanor. The penalty increases with the value of the vehicle stolen.

Chuck

masterrig

Here in Texas, motor vehicle theft is a Class-A mis-demeanor! [:/]

Chuck

What if you catch the thieving git in the act and you are accompanied by Me Smith and his mate Mr Weston?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

Here in Texas, motor vehicle theft is a Class-A mis-demeanor! [:/]

Chuck

What if you catch the thieving git in the act and you are accompanied by Me Smith and his mate Mr Weston?

Hold him till the cops get there or blow his shit away and say he lunged at you! :D Just make sure the shot is to his front!

Chuck

masterrig

******we know you're angry here, but you're not coming up with a solution.

No.

They didn't even TRY.

Fuck that!

Here in Texas, motor vehicle theft of a vehicle valued between $500.00 - $20.000.00 is a Class-A misdemeanor. The penalty increases with the value of the vehicle stolen.

Chuck

Whereas, stealin' a horse'll getcher neck stritched.

Andy9o8

*********we know you're angry here, but you're not coming up with a solution.

No.

They didn't even TRY.

Fuck that!

Chuck

Whereas, stealin' a horse'll getcher neck stretched.

That's it! :D:D

Chuck