powerofbinary

Tea Party - Not all Bad

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/10/18

History has its way of playing unexpected tricks on us. Exhibit A: If it weren't for the Tea Party's vehement opposition, the U.S. would probably be dropping bombs on Syria right now, and very possibly sinking deeper into prolonged military involvement there.

So let's give thanks where thanks are due, recall the patriotic far right's true roots in America's radical history, and do what we can to cultivate those roots so that they’ll give rise to a healthier plant in the future.

powerofbinary

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/10/18

History has its way of playing unexpected tricks on us. Exhibit A: If it weren't for the Tea Party's vehement opposition, the U.S. would probably be dropping bombs on Syria right now, and very possibly sinking deeper into prolonged military involvement there.

So let's give thanks where thanks are due, recall the patriotic far right's true roots in America's radical history, and do what we can to cultivate those roots so that they’ll give rise to a healthier plant in the future.

I had to read this piece after this little snippet just to make sure it wasn't satire. Really? Thank the Tea Party for anti-war agenda? I thought it was the liberal/democrat/dirty hippies (in)famous for their 'make love, not war' mantra?

I think most people, no matter what party you are, opposed getting into another war at this point. Definitely not just the tea party, and definitely not the tea party leading the opposition I think.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/10/tea-party-linked-lawmakers-shun-strike-on-syria/

The tea party opposition stands in contrast to senior GOP leaders, including House Speaker John A. Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and 2008 presidential nominee Sen. John McCain of Arizona.

Tea party activists say their stance is a rejection not only of Mr. Obama but of Mr. Bush, arguing their opposition is based on not just foreign policy concerns but on the question of spending.

“It is not just an Obama thing, it is also Bush,” said Ted Stevenot, president of the Ohio Liberty Coalition, a Tiffin, Ohio, tea party group. “They just get the credit card out to pay for these interventions. We can’t afford this.”

It was a different story in 2001, when not a single Republican opposed a resolution authorizing Mr. Bush to launch military action in Afghanistan in the weeks after the Sept. 11 attacks in New York and Washington.

powerofbinary

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/10/tea-party-linked-lawmakers-shun-strike-on-syria/

The tea party opposition stands in contrast to senior GOP leaders, including House Speaker John A. Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and 2008 presidential nominee Sen. John McCain of Arizona.

Tea party activists say their stance is a rejection not only of Mr. Obama but of Mr. Bush, arguing their opposition is based on not just foreign policy concerns but on the question of spending.

“It is not just an Obama thing, it is also Bush,” said Ted Stevenot, president of the Ohio Liberty Coalition, a Tiffin, Ohio, tea party group. “They just get the credit card out to pay for these interventions. We can’t afford this.”

It was a different story in 2001, when not a single Republican opposed a resolution authorizing Mr. Bush to launch military action in Afghanistan in the weeks after the Sept. 11 attacks in New York and Washington.

You seem to be one of the exceptionally few here in the SC that truly understands what the Tea Party is and what it stands for.

Bravo, good work.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

devildog

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/tea-party-science-98488.html

Tea Partiers know science better than non tea partiers.

Go figure.

From the Article you quoted:

Yale law professor Dan Kahan posted on his blog this week that he analyzed the responses of more than 2,000 American adults recruited for another study and found that, on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative.
However, those who identified as part of the tea party movement were actually better versed in science than those who didn’t, Kahan found. The findings met the conventional threshold of statistical significance, the professor said.

Edited - made an incorrect analysis of this. However, conservatives also less science literate on average than liberals.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

***http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/tea-party-science-98488.html

Go figure.

The key words you have missed:

"Amongst Conservatives"

Yale law professor Dan Kahan posted on his blog this week that he analyzed the responses of more than 2,000 American adults recruited for another study and found that, on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative.
However, those who identified as part of the tea party movement were actually better versed in science than those who didn’t, Kahan found. The findings met the conventional threshold of statistical significance, the professor said.

Didn't miss it at all. But I do think its interesting that the guy had (and has) a negative view of TPers when he free admits that he's never met one, let alone talked to one. Intellectual honesty ftw on that one :)
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

devildog

******http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/tea-party-science-98488.html

Go figure.

The key words you have missed:

"Amongst Conservatives"

Didn't miss it at all. But I do think its interesting that the guy had (and has) a negative view of TPers when he free admits that he's never met one, let alone talked to one. Intellectual honesty ftw on that one :)

And actually on re-reading I am not sure I made the correct interpretation hence my edit. I'm still not quite sure which way he means it and without reading the original paper (and life is too short on a beautiful sunday!) its hard to know. Slightly poorly written article.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

kallend

Tea Party - Not all Bad

Indeed, it can be used as a great example of ignorance and poor judgment being exploited by a bunch of cynical billionaires.

Apparently, they're anything but ignorant. Nice try tho.

devildog

Tea Party - Not all Bad

Indeed, it can be used as a great example of ignorance and poor judgment being exploited by a bunch of cynical billionaires.

Incorrect interpretation of the data. Did you actually read the original article?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Apparently, they're anything but ignorant. Nice try tho.

In some ways, agreed. For example:
=======================
Tea Party will destroy GOP in 2014
By Brent Budowsky - 05/24/13 10:53 AM ET
The Hill

For the far right, dreams die hard and delusions never end. As Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who represents a congressional GOP with unpopularity of 75 percent, prepares to summon former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, with popularity above 60 percent, to testify, the overreach of House Republicans now threatens Republican control of the House. The triumph of the Tea Party within Republican politics is a gift to Democrats in 2014, as the disastrous vice presidential nomination of Sarah Palin in 2008 helped propelled Barack Obama to a two-term presidency.
=======================
Pretty smart way to go about destroying the GOP - from the inside, from people who claim to be its champions.

kallend

Tea Party - Not all Bad

Incorrect interpretation of the data. Did you actually read the original article?
I did. Did you? We already had a back and forth on this :)

billvon

>Apparently, they're anything but ignorant. Nice try tho.

=======================
The Hill

For the far right, dreams die hard and delusions never end. As Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who represents a congressional GOP with unpopularity of 75 percent, prepares to summon former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, with popularity above 60 percent, to testify, the overreach of House Republicans now threatens Republican control of the House. The triumph of the Tea Party within Republican politics is a gift to Democrats in 2014, as the disastrous vice presidential nomination of Sarah Palin in 2008 helped propelled Barack Obama to a two-term presidency.
=======================
Pretty smart way to go about destroying the GOP - from the inside, from people who claim to be its champions.

Who cares? Half the GOP are RINOs or cave on their supposed values they might as well all be far wing lefties / only interested in their own power and money. They all need to go (all of Congress that is). At some point, a limb is so infected with gangrene you just have to cut it off.

kallend

Tea Party - Not all Bad

Precedence...that would be black people and Democrats.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

devildog

***>Apparently, they're anything but ignorant. Nice try tho.

=======================
The Hill

=======================

Who cares? Half the GOP are RINOs or cave on their supposed values they might as well all be far wing lefties / only interested in their own power and money. They all need to go (all of Congress that is). At some point, a limb is so infected with gangrene you just have to cut it off. John McCain is a perfect example. http://www.rinolist.org/rinos/az/us-senators/john-mccain/
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Tea Party needs to concentrate on: more jobs, better economy, lower tuition costs, lower food costs, a safer environment, less war, more indictments of wall street criminals, a way to legal immigration, etc., instead of worrying about women, and being obstructionists. They will lose the VA governors race based on this fact.

devildog

Tea Party - Not all Bad

The only reason those on the left attack anything/anyone is because it/they are a threat to them (politically)

I like the Tea Party
Because kallend and billvon do not
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

The only reason those on the left attack anything/anyone is because it/they are a threat to them (politically)

I like the Tea Party

The left attacks with the goal of total elimination. What they fear they must destroy. Compromise is never a first choice.

I like the Tea Party because of what you stated above. In addition my brothers and sisters in the Patriot Guard Riders and my church support their goals.

http://www.patriotguard.org/content.php
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I like the Tea Party

The left attacks with the goal of total elimination. What they fear they must destroy. Compromise is never a first choice.

I like the Tea Party because of what you stated above. In addition my brothers and sisters in the Patriot Guard Riders and my church support their goals.

http://www.patriotguard.org/content.php

they cant destroy the Tea Party either
Because it is not really a party but, rather a grass roots group of people that want the gov to return to it constitutions limitations

And the numbers are growing
Abraham Lincoln

Because it is not really a party but, rather a grass roots group of people that want the gov to return to it constitutions limitations

And so are everyone else's numbers.

If the Tea Party really, really, wants to grow, its members should start businesses giving jobs to people who are currently on welfare, removing them from the rolls. Simply hoping that they'll stop voting and procreating will help nothing.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

And so are everyone else's numbers.

If the Tea Party really, really, wants to grow, its members should start businesses giving jobs to people who are currently on welfare, removing them from the rolls. Simply hoping that they'll stop voting and procreating will help nothing.

Wendy P.

Really

:S

This bull shit post really surprises me coming from you
Abraham Lincoln

It really does only matter that your party is growing, if it's growing faster than the other ones. How do you make that happen?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

It really does only matter that your party is growing, if it's growing faster than the other ones. How do you make that happen?

Wendy P.

Wendy
I am talking about the flat F#@%king lie about the Tea Pary
Please, expand your where you get your news or stop listening to whom ever is telling you what to think about the Tea Party
I expect this from kallend and billvon
Not you
Abraham Lincoln

What lie about the Tea Party? I'm not being disingenuous, I'm asking.

You said it's growing; I said that growing only helps if it grows faster than other groups (that's true). I gave one way to help it grow faster, by taking members from another group and changing them. I"m sure there are other means as well.

But it really is true that it only matters that the TP is growing if it grows faster than other groups.

Wendy P.