regulator

Study shows democrats prefer living in close proximity to others

While republicans prefer to be in more rural areas...

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2013/09/if-you-live-near-other-people-youre-probably-democrat-if-your-neighbors-are-distant-republican/7047/

The below graph from Conor Sen, an armchair demographer in Atlanta, has been making the rounds this morning in my Twitter feed. It neatly reflects a political phenomenon we've written about before: Yes, cities generally tend to lean more Democratic, and rural states more Republican, but the fine-grained relationship between politics and population density is actually quite remarkable.

This scatter plot looks at congressional districts, which are ranked according to the Cook Parisan Voting Index. That measure essentially reflects how Republican or Democratic a district leans (by percentage of voters, not ideological purity) relative to the national average. A Democratic district shown above as +10, for example, gave the Democratic candidate in the last two presidential elections on average 10 points more of the local vote (say, 63 percent compared to 53 percent) than the nation-wide vote.

Sen compared that data with Census data on population density by congressional district. Here is how a smarter person than me interpreted the resulting picture:

But you may also be struck by the shape of that trend line (Sen is quick to note, by the way, that he's not a statistician). It roughly suggests a political tipping point somewhere around a population density of about 800-1,000 people per square mile. That's actually a number that we've seen before. Here is a different take on the same question, looking at presidential votes by county in the 2012 election, via Dave Troy:

Troy concluded that, "at about 800 people per square mile, people switch from voting primarily Republican to voting primarily Democratic." Richard Florida looked in more depth at that finding last November with a broader conversation on what this trend really says about our differing political preferences and needs in crowded cities and leafy exurbs.

Feel free to weigh in below on why you think your politics may be tied to the proximity of your neighbors (or maybe they're not?). Sen is a bit more zen about what all of this portends for the state of the country in an email: "The big realization I had a couple years ago was if the last era (call it 1982-2007) was driven by debt, the next one (2008-??) appears to be driven by demographics, and I'm trying to get ahead of the curve."

...an armchair demographer in Atlanta...

later

(Sen is quick to note, by the way, that he's not a statistician)

We may have just found the issue here. Somebody who doesn't understand the difference between data and conclusions that can be logically drawn from them or simply manipulated to support preconceived notions.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

kelpdiver

this looks like another case of mixing up causation and correlation

nail hit on a 'no kidding' moment

is anyone surprised that people that live in concentrated areas prefer social structures that require specialties and leveraging the work of others

next thing you know, he'll state that people that live in the wilderness just randomly have better survival skills

the real issue is that people that live in tightly densified areas seem to think their lifestyle must be forced on everyone else that might live in a different environment

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Remster

the real issue is that some people that live in tightly densified areas seem to think their lifestyle must be forced on everyone else that might live in a different environment

Fixed... And vice versa.

good fix.

'vice versa'? that some tightly densified people like to force areas on environmental differences?

ok, I can see that

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Not even having read the first sentence of whatever you posted, just the subject line.

Yes, I would much rather prefer to live in CA or NY than in GA. And yes, I am a Commie at heart and will never understand, nor try to understand bible-thumping Christians.