rickjump1

'Islam,' 'Muslim' censored from newspaper reports on Kenya, Pakistan attacks

Right and I'm not saying the mall attack was religiously provoked. I haven't seen proof of that anywhere. I was just stating that there are plenty of violent attacks made in the name of the islamic religion, and for some odd reason I see very very few, if any, violent attacks in the name of christianity in the news. But Darius says he reads about them all the time.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Bignugget

***http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/09/24/islam-muslim-censored-from-newspaper-reports-on-kenya-pakistan-attacks/?cmpid=NL_morninghl "Yet on Monday, September 23, 90 percent of the top ten (via circulation numbers) daily newspapers’ headlines in the United States censored the words “Islam” and Muslim” from Nairobi and Pakistan reports. One – the New York Daily News – didn’t even have a headline for the latest Islamic terrorist attacks. That’s journalism at its finest."

Maybe demonizing an entire religious group because of the actions of a few is stupid as fuck?

Maybe is was an attack by crazy people who had some fucked up rationale for doing fucked up shit, like most fucked up people do?

Wait a minute, wtf am I smoking......fuckin Islamic Terrorists, lets go get these Islamic motherfuckers and make this shit stop! Only FOX can be trusted to bring us the real fair and balanced stuff. The rest of the media is on the Islamic side, and you know what that means.... More guns, Romney 2016, Obama is a Lithuanian! "Maybe it was an attack by crazy people who had some fucked up rationale for doing fucked up shit, like most fucked up people do?" Yeah, like those same "fucked up" people "doing fucked up shit" before and after 9/11. Sure, they're all isolated cases; all in the name of their religion.

You keep watching the drone channels, and I'll get my news from a less soiled source.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

shropshire

Because all news stories in western papers always give the religion of everyone that commits a crime[:/]

damn the new york times for censoring every story - how dare they?

You are exactly right. Nobody shouts "Jesus saves" How come followers of the "religion of peace" shout allu Akbar, etc.? It's kind of their signature. They want you to know who they are and in whose name they are killing.

Skyrad

The other way of viewing this is why legitimise what is essentially a criminal act of mass murder by pandering to the psychopaths who carried it out? Al Shabab hope to spread their perverted interpretation of Islam around the world by this atrocity. The reality is they don't represent Islam or Muslims so why legitimise their crime by acknowledging that the religion or Muslims are involved in this crime. In much the same way that Anders Brevik claims to be a Christian, his mass murder in Norway had no more to do with Christianity or Christians than the Al Shabab atrocity has to do with Muslims or Islam. In fact they have more in common with each other than they do with the adherants of the faiths they both profess to represent.

Yeah, let's button down the hatches and erase anything bad connected with Islam. You left out the bombing of Christians in Pakistan.

Gravitymaster

Do you think the press would identify members of the Westboro Babtist Church as militant Christians, if some of their members went on a murderous, raping spree?

Of course they would. Haven't you heard, Christianity is part of the right wing conspiracy in the US, and members of the military or students are forbidden to use the word. The World awaits some ghastly attack in the US by Christians shouting, "One more for Jesus". For now, they ignore Islamic terrorists until they are effected. Like the Boston bombings, the continuing spread of terror in the name of Islam is much to do about nothing after the smoke clears. Can you believe there is even a question as to whether the surviving Boston bomber should get the death penalty?

Bush didn't go into Iraq screaming

You don’t remember him mentioning God in his speeches, then obviously you have a selective memory.
Are you also clueless about Christianity in the armed forces?
How about Christian child rape? should i judge every christian by that?

As for reading about it i read about it daily, drone attacks by as you right wingers call it a christian nation, GPS guided bombs, not to mention over 1 million dead because of a christian president, his lie, and the sheep who follow.

For the record i don't hate Christians, Jews, or religion, i just hate stupid fucktards who can not see them selves and the hypocritical shit they say. Basically i hate stupid people who are unaware about how one sided and clueless they are. That's what i hate.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Bignugget

Maybe demonizing an entire religious group because of the actions of a few is stupid as fuck?

Maybe is was an attack by crazy people who had some fucked up rationale for doing fucked up shit, like most fucked up people do?

fixed that for you
--
Rob

I'll ask again, show me some of these stories where christians are killing people in the name of their religion. Were drone attacks or gps guided bombs used in the name of Jesus? Did Bush say he was invading Iraq because they believe in a different god?

Violent act by a person with a religious background violent act by a person for his religious background

Your last couple sentences are very ironic. You hate stupid fucktards who are blind and clueless, yet you think a huge religious following is violent because one guy who practiced that religion went to war (a war that had absolutely nothing to do with religion). If that's not clueless, I don't know what is. I love irony! [:/]

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Bolas

***The other way of viewing this is why legitimise what is essentially a criminal act of mass murder by pandering to the psychopaths who carried it out? Al Shabab hope to spread their perverted interpretation of Islam around the world by this atrocity. The reality is they don't represent Islam or Muslims so why legitimise their crime by acknowledging that the religion or Muslims are involved in this crime. In much the same way that Anders Brevik claims to be a Christian, his mass murder in Norway had no more to do with Christianity or Christians than the Al Shabab atrocity has to do with Muslims or Islam. In fact they have more in common with each other than they do with the adherants of the faiths they both profess to represent.

This line of thinking would carry more weight if the "peaceful" Islamic leaders would publicly denounce and distance themselves from the extremists.

What you mean like this:
http://tinyurl.com/l2xa82d

or this

http://theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/articles/al-shabab/0020052

or this

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cair-condemns-terror-attack-on-nairobi-mall-224774092.html

or this

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/mobile/?articleID=2000094097&story_title=attackers-have-no-link-to-islam-clergymen-say

or this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24057725

or this

http://www.kenyan-post.com/2013/09/kenyas-muslims-leaders-say-al-shabaab.html

or this

http://www.m-a-t.org

or this

http://www.freemuslims.org/issues/terrorism.php

or this

http://www.mareeg.com/fidsan.php?sid=30630&tirsan=3

or this

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion/islam/contrary-what-many-think-muslim-world-denouncing-nairobi-attack?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+opposingviews%2Fmain+(Opposing+Views+-+Issues%2C+Experts%2C+Answers)

I could go on but seeing as I doubt you'll even bother to read these in favour of holding on to your prejudices I won't bother.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Bolas

***They have time and time again,some one mentions

Islamic leaders would publicly denounce and distance themselves from the extremists.

this you get posted link after link after link.

But some how the Islamic leaders distancing them selves and denouncing the action never ends up on FOX news.....go figure

I'm talking something larger: either kick the radicals out of Islam entirely, or if there is no way to do it, the "peaceful" ones can regroup under a new name like in other religions such as Judaism or Christianity.

Its not a club where we get together every Friday with a membership list :S its not possible to stop people from calling themselves Muslims than it is to stop them from calling themselves Christians or Jews... Madonna comes to mind :ph34r:
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

champu

***http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/09/24/islam-muslim-censored-from-newspaper-reports-on-kenya-pakistan-attacks/?cmpid=NL_morninghl "Yet on Monday, September 23, 90 percent of the top ten (via circulation numbers) daily newspapers’ headlines in the United States censored the words “Islam” and Muslim” from Nairobi and Pakistan reports. One – the New York Daily News – didn’t even have a headline for the latest Islamic terrorist attacks. That’s journalism at its finest."

Holy shit, they were Muslims!?!

:D:D:D
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

linebckr83

That is beyond idiotic.

We realize you hate Christianity and religion as a whole, but to say there is a religious group more violent right now than Islamic extremists is insane imo. They kill because of their religion. Bush didn't go into Iraq screaming "praise Jesus or all you motherfuckers will burn!" :S

Please enlighten us to some of this christian violence you so frequently read about. And no, a person with a christian background committing aggrevated theft is NOT the same thing as a muslim extremist killing because his god told him to do so.

GWB went into Iraq because 'God told him to do it' maybe you were to young to remember..

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/oct/07/iraq.usa

Actually he launched a 'Crusade' against the barbarous evil doers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsjgjM56HRw

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/crusade
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

rickjump1

***The other way of viewing this is why legitimise what is essentially a criminal act of mass murder by pandering to the psychopaths who carried it out? Al Shabab hope to spread their perverted interpretation of Islam around the world by this atrocity. The reality is they don't represent Islam or Muslims so why legitimise their crime by acknowledging that the religion or Muslims are involved in this crime. In much the same way that Anders Brevik claims to be a Christian, his mass murder in Norway had no more to do with Christianity or Christians than the Al Shabab atrocity has to do with Muslims or Islam. In fact they have more in common with each other than they do with the adherants of the faiths they both profess to represent.

Yeah, let's button down the hatches and erase anything bad connected with Islam. You left out the bombing of Christians in Pakistan.

You left out the Spanish inquisition and the Witch Hunts, and murder of Dr's and Nurses working in family planning so what?
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

linebckr83

I'll ask again, show me some of these stories where christians are killing people in the name of their religion. Were drone attacks or gps guided bombs used in the name of Jesus? Did Bush say he was invading Iraq because they believe in a different god?

Violent act by a person with a religious background violent act by a person for his religious background

Your last couple sentences are very ironic. You hate stupid fucktards who are blind and clueless, yet you think a huge religious following is violent because one guy who practiced that religion went to war (a war that had absolutely nothing to do with religion). If that's not clueless, I don't know what is. I love irony! [:/]

Are you too young to remember Roman Catholics and Protestants killing eachother?

Bush did mentioned God had spoken to him on the subject and he referred to it as a crusade.

You also have to keep in mind that the western world has a long history of fucking with different religeous groups (specially in the middle east)

shropshire

Because all news stories in western papers always give the religion of everyone that commits a crime[:/]

If a group of people left, say, a Kiwanis Club meeting and engaged in an orgy of looting and arson while screaming Kiwanis slogans, it would certainly be germane to mention that there was some Kiwanis factor in the incident, however perverse.

The affiliation of the people who murdered Brenda and Erica Lafferty was pertinent from the standpoint that they used their interpretation of the tenets of their faith as justification for the act.

If someone commits a crime in an homogeneous society, it is not particularly newsworthy to note that they a member of that society ("Japanese person commits crime in Tokyo - news at 6!").

If, however, identification with a particular group forms the basis for the crime, then it is pertinent ("Dateline Tokyo - Japanese person kills 14 and maims 9 in attack on 'Gaijin' - news at 6!").

Context matters.

BSBD,

Winsor

Bolas

***They have time and time again,some one mentions

Islamic leaders would publicly denounce and distance themselves from the extremists.

But some how the Islamic leaders distancing them selves and denouncing the action never ends up on FOX news.....go figure

I'm talking something larger: either kick the radicals out of Islam entirely, or if there is no way to do it, the "peaceful" ones can regroup under a new name like in other religions such as Judaism or Christianity.

This is hilarious.

Points for best idea ever.

I second this.

Also since Westboro Baptist is going nowhere soon I would suggest that Baptists either kick them out, or everyone else just start calling themselves something else, like....BACONBITS.

That's it, all peaceful Baptists are now known as BACONBITS, and only hateful Baptists get to stay Baptists.

winsor

***Because all news stories in western papers always give the religion of everyone that commits a crime[:/]

If a group of people left, say, a Kiwanis Club meeting and engaged in an orgy of looting and arson while screaming Kiwanis slogans, it would certainly be germane to mention that there was some Kiwanis factor in the incident, however perverse.

The affiliation of the people who murdered Brenda and Erica Lafferty was pertinent from the standpoint that they used their interpretation of the tenets of their faith as justification for the act.

If someone commits a crime in an homogeneous society, it is not particularly newsworthy to note that they a member of that society ("Japanese person commits crime in Tokyo - news at 6!").

If, however, identification with a particular group forms the basis for the crime, then it is pertinent ("Dateline Tokyo - Japanese person kills 14 and maims 9 in attack on 'Gaijin' - news at 6!").

Context matters.

BSBD,

Winsor

Right.

So, how does that factor into news reports using "muslim" or "islam" in the title of a news article regarding an attack on a mall in retaliation for military intervention in Somalia?

Bignugget

******They have time and time again,some one mentions

This is hilarious.

Points for best idea ever.

I second this.

Also since Westboro Baptist is going nowhere soon I would suggest that Baptists either kick them out, or everyone else just start calling themselves something else, like....BACONBITS.

That's it, all peaceful Baptists are now known as BACONBITS, and only hateful Baptists get to stay Baptists.

Baptist and Islam aren't at the same level. Christianity will have to denounce Westboro or call themselves something else.

linebckr83

That is beyond idiotic.

We realize you hate Christianity and religion as a whole, but to say there is a religious group more violent right now than Islamic extremists is insane imo. They kill because of their religion. Bush didn't go into Iraq screaming "praise Jesus or all you motherfuckers will burn!" :S

Please enlighten us to some of this christian violence you so frequently read about. And no, a person with a christian background committing aggrevated theft is NOT the same thing as a muslim extremist killing because his god told him to do so.

Ill play along.

lets start with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

then you can move on to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

Ohh....and for kicks

" I am driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East'. And, by God, I'm gonna do it." Sharm el-Sheikh August 2003."

There is your boy G-dog.

SkyDekker

******Because all news stories in western papers always give the religion of everyone that commits a crime[:/]

Context matters.

BSBD,

Winsor

Right.

So, how does that factor into news reports using "muslim" or "islam" in the title of a news article regarding an attack on a mall in retaliation for military intervention in Somalia?

It should be noted that, for all the claims that newspapers are dedicated to providing news, the newspapers that survive are those who sell the most newspapers.

In any event, the line that was crossed here is that the perpetrators of this crime did not go through the mall identifying those behind the military intervention ("Die, Kenyan scum!"), but selected for elimination those who did not adhere to their particular religious persuasion ("Die, Infidel scum!").

In the former case, Kenyans being targeted would be a headline issue. As it was, killing non-muslims en masse appears to have been the game plan.

BSBD,

Winsor

Skyrad

******They have time and time again,some one mentions

Its not a club where we get together every Friday with a membership list :S its not possible to stop people from calling themselves Muslims than it is to stop them from calling themselves Christians or Jews... Madonna comes to mind :ph34r:

People don't generally call themselves Christian They call themselves Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, etc. While they mostly believe the same things, the bible passages they focus on and their interpretations vary.

A poster mentioned Westboro Baptists. While it's true they are part of Baptists and Christianity, they are seen as their own group.

Islam could easily do the same to better define their various, for lack of better words "brands"

Shiite
Sunni
Al Shabab
Etc.

Rather than call everyone who uses the Koran for their teachings Islam or Muslim, group them by their focuses and interpretations.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Islam could easily do the same to better define their various, for lack of better words "brands"

Shiite
Sunni
Al Shabab
Etc.

They have. Christians just haven't bothered to learn them.

Christians assume that all Muslims care about and can tell the difference among the various Christian sects -- news flash, they don't.

BTW, Al Shabab is not a sect of Islam, it's an Islamic terrorist organization, just as the IRA used to be a Catholic terrorist organization.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

A massive PR campaign is needed with Press packets then. :)
Of course it could be a case of the old saying "there's no such thing as bad publicity" ;)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.