regulator

Multiple stabbings of 'students' in high school

SPRING, Texas – One student was killed and at least three others were hurt during a fight at Spring High School early Wednesday.

The 17-year-old victim, whose name has not been released, was stabbed to death.

Deaveon Brazil,16, was flown by Life Flight to Memorial Hermann Hospital. Brazil, a junior, was upgraded from critical to good condition a few hours later, the hospital confirmed. 

Two other students were injured, according to a telephone alert to parents around three hours after the fight. They were taken to Houston Northwest Medical Center.

Three "persons of interest" – all Spring High School students—are in custody, according to Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia. He said no other arrests were expected.

Students said the victims were stabbed during a gang fight in or near the school’s cafeteria.

Sheriff Garcia said there was a confrontation and investigators are working to determine if rival gangs were involved.

The incident was reported shortly after 7 a.m. at the school near I-45 and Cypresswood Drive.

The school remained on lockdown and hundreds of parents who rushed to the scene were kept away from the campus for the next six hours.

Chelitha Brady managed to get inside the school to check on her daughter after getting a terrifying phone call from her.

"She said, 'Mom, the young man just fell dead on me,'" Brady said. "She said, "Momma, it was some guys, they went to fightin' and they went to stabbin... You just got to come, you just got to come.'"

Brady said her first priority is to get counseling from her daughter, who was very shaken up by what she witnessed.

"And to see what I can do as far as getting her out of Spring High School because it could have been my child because the stabbing was right there before her eyes," Brady said.

Other angry parents said they planned to home school their children.

Many parents outside communicated with their children inside by phone and text messages to confirm they were OK.

The district finally sent out a phone alert to parents just after 10 a.m. confirming the death and injuries. The alert mentioned a lockdown, but did not say anything about releasing students. That finally happened around 1 p.m. District officials said they kept them the students inside because many of them witnessed the deadly fight and police wanted to question them.

Parents were frustrated by the lack of information from Spring ISD.

KHOU 11 News Reporter Jeremy Desel spoke with parents who gathered at a Sonic across the street from the school.

"Well, number one we’re concerned about our kids. One of my kids was kind of there in the area when they seen it and they’re frantic and scared, and here the police are telling us to move our vehicles," Kenneth said. "(My son) told me that he was scared and he wants to come home. We can all understand at this point, right?"

The father said his son described the scene to him, saying the incident appeared to happen in a back hallway.

"They were walking out of the area when it happened, but they sent pictures to me of all the blood everywhere. All they texted and told me was one died and, out of the total, five were stabbed. All students." Parents of the students who were affected have all been notified, administrators said.

The worried father said he had three kids—one freshman and two seniors—at the school and he shared what he was going to say to his kids when he could finally wrap his arms around them.

"That I love them, that I was there, even though I couldn’t get them," he said through tears.

Gabrielle Whitlock, a parent and former Spring ISD teacher, was among those frustrated by the way the district handled the incident.

"Why aren’t they out here? I’ve been out here trying to console parents because I’ve been though those lockdown drills, I know exactly what is going on inside that building," Whitlock said. "This is Dr. Draper’s fault. When is he going to get a reality check that we have discipline issues? There’s a hundred kids in this school that cause problems and 1,400 that are good kids in here."

Whitlock said she taught the student who was killed. His name hasn’t been released.

"I’m angry and I am hurt that a school district and a school that I love, that I came back to teach at, that I had to leave because of the stress of kids like this," Whitlock said. "I love teaching, that was my passion and now I see something like this, I am angry and I am hurt. My son is sitting in English class and this is his second week of high school? Where are the administrators?"

Whitlock summed up the shared frustration of many Spring ISD families.

"There’s not a single parent out here that wants their kid going to this school, but we can’t move and so we’re stuck with this."

Spring ISD Superintendent Dr. Ralph Draper later said the initial lack of information was due to security concerns.

He promised parents they would "flood them with information" now that the danger has passed.

"In my nearly 30-year career, this is one thing that you pray never happens," Dr. Draper said. "Please remember these children."

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Life-Flight-called-to-Spring-High-School-222328091.html

normiss

Skittles have never contributed to a death.

If you'd said "never been used in a homicide", I might have agreed with you. Knowing a little bit about obesity, heart disease, and diabetes, I'd have to strongly disagree.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

regulator

So I make a post in which I make no comments and you call me a racist.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for sophomorically insulting our intelligence. You posted the OP exactly the way you did for the precise purpose of provoking a comment like in post #2, precisely so you could respond to it as you did in post #3.

You really need another hobby to occupy your free time.

The whole post is a story about how poorly the school handled the aftermath. No where in there did I see anything about the race of the victims or the attackers....

maybe a statement about public schools
maybe a statement in there about gun vs knife

but I don't see any race implication at all

do you guys read the posts, or do you have a cut and paste to quickly tag posters as racists and bigots?

sad

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

quade

Now imagine how many more kids would have died if the gang members weren't using knives, but guns.

Now imagine how many kids would have died if it was illegal for the gang members to have guns. Oh wait, the same amount.

Meaning, guns are in no way connected to this incident so leave them out of it.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

billvon

>Meaning, guns are in no way connected to this incident so leave them out of it.

This is Speaker's Corner. It's like saying "farts are in no way connected to skydiving so no farting in the airplane." We know how well that works.

Imagine how many people would have been killed if they used gas instead of knives! It takes more than Beano to deal with Sarin, by golly.

rehmwa

The whole post is a story about how poorly the school handled the aftermath. No where in there did I see anything about the race of the victims or the attackers....

maybe a statement about public schools
maybe a statement in there about gun vs knife

but I don't see any race implication at all

do you guys read the posts, or do you have a cut and paste to quickly tag posters as racists and bigots?

sad

I agree. I can't see how anyone could read anything racial into that article unless they were looking for it. My thoughts as I read it were that if someone is intent on killing, they will find whatever means necessary to accomplish their goal. Be it with a knife, gun, lead pipe or other means of causing harm.

I think this article has exposed what I suspect is a psychosis that causes many to see things that simply are not there.

I am also appalled at the PA's against the OP without even a warning.

DanG

I didn't call you a racist. I said you have a recent history of making "blacks are bad" posts.

So, what was your point?

Why do I have to have a point when I post an article? I just posted the article without saying a single thing about race and you jumped all over me. Now I'm taking the high road. Congratulations on your stance.

My point is some idiot kids no matter what their race will use whatever tool is closest to inflict harm. That is all.

DanG

Meaning, guns are in no way connected to this incident so leave them out of it.

So the post isn't about race, and it isn't about guns. What's it about?

Also I was going to inquire about if any of you parents would be upset if your kids were at school and you couldn't get them. But I got sidetracked from all the sudden weight on my back.

regulator

Also I was going to inquire about if any of you parents would be upset if your kids were at school and you couldn't get them. But I got sidetracked from all the sudden weight on my back.

You do realize you had all the time in the world to write that in your original post; right?

This is precisely the problem when people post articles without any comment whatsoever. Other people are going to naturally assume it's their "usual" SC agenda rather than some other point they might be trying to make.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

regulator

I don't have an agenda. I do however have a kidney stone, which totally sucks ass.

Sorry about the kidney stone.

However, even if you don't realize it, you probably do have an agenda. We all do, unless we're dead.

I'm not particularly holding it against you, but you most definitely and visibly have voiced pro-gun opinions in this forum.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Why do I have to have a point when I post an article? I just posted the article without saying a single thing about race and you jumped all over me. Now I'm taking the high road. Congratulations on your stance.

Jumped all over you? This is all I said:

Given your recent posting history, I'm forced to assume you're trying to say something bad about black people.

If you're going to make a bunch of recent posts about "the blacks", don't act so shocked when people assume you're talking about "the blacks" when you post a story about black people stabbing each other.

- Dan G

regulator

Awesome. Lets hug and make up already.

Besides who doesn't like morgan freeman?

It's hilarious to watch.

Only the people that preach about how unfair and unjust profiling is, and yet . . . we get this . . .

Given your recent posting history, I'm forced to assume . . .

And . . .

I didn't call you a racist. I said you have a recent history of making "blacks are bad" posts.

several others were made - I just find it hypocritical.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun