StreetScooby

Canadian version of Letterman's top ten

A Canadian's Version of David Letterman's Top 10.

10) Only in America ...could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.

9) Only in America ...could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black President, a black Attorney General, and roughly 18% of the federal workforce is black while only 12% of the population is black.

8) Only in America ...could they have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner (the head of the Treasury Department) and Charles Rangel (who once ran the Ways and Means Committee), BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.

7) Only in America ...can they have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.

6) Only in America...would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege, while they discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just 'magically' become American citizens.

5) Only in America ...could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as "extremists."

4) Only in America ...could you need to present a driver's license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.

3) Only in America ...could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company ( MarathonOil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).

2) Only in America ...could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a trillion dollars more than it has per year - for total spending of $7-million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.

1) Only in America ...could the rich people - who pay 86% of all income taxes - be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all.
We are all engines of karma

I have a hard time believing anyone in Canada would be so invested in this.

I am ALWAYS fascinated by misattributions and riding on the coat tails of other people's fame. I found the same list on a UK web site from June 8, 2012. No mention of Canada nor Letterman.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100163606/only-in-america/

It probably predates that as well, but this was simply one version that popped up in a cursory search.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

StreetScooby

I guess . . . if you think regurgitated propaganda is food.

So, you don't think there are any valid points in that list?

Of coure he doesn't . . . he would have to admit that liberalism is flawed then.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

StreetScooby

I guess . . . if you think regurgitated propaganda is food.

So, you don't think there are any valid points in that list.

I think the list is Tea Party tripe from several years ago and boring as hell.
quade -

StreetScooby

A Canadian's Version of David Letterman's Top 10.

Really? If you think that Canadians (or any other nations citizens) care about one whit about your various national political dysfunctions, I believe you are sadly mistaken.

Frankly we only pay attention when US economic or foreign policies negatively impact us. Or when you have a decent Olympic hockey team...

Or when you have a decent Olympic hockey team...

Now, I just know that is "supposed to be" some kind of cut, but we'll put together a decent hockey team when it becomes a real sport anybody gives a crap about. ;)
quade -

quade

Now, I just know that is "supposed to be" some kind of cut, but we'll put together a decent hockey team when it becomes a real sport anybody gives a crap about. ;)

I cannot speak for Aphid, but the way I took it was simply that from time to time the US DOES have a decent Olympic hockey team, and when they do, we start talking about it. Then again, it could be a cut. But at least in hockey there is a flow of action. Football... yeesh... BORING... action for 5 seconds, then nothing for ten minutes.:P:)
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

quade

What, like American football, basketball, or baseball?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

If the source didn't matter it wouldn't be the only information written in the subject line of the thread...

And the list isn't funny / presented in a funny way. It doesn't read like that was the intention. It reads like the author wishes to express his or her outrage at the outrage over things he doesn't think are outrageous and at the lack of outrage over things he thinks are outrageous.

Outrage is overrated.

as an American I have to confess I would rather watch hockey than football...:$

nearly every run brings a flag on the play in football - wtf?
bunch of pussies, if their isn't blood or bones sticking out they should keep playing - who gives a rats ass if someone facemasked someone else.. that handle on the face is soo inviting - and everyone has one!! grab em back!!!!

guess I am a closet canook :)
Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Stumpy

I reckon Rugby league players would walk all over both of them.

Rugby League? Don't you mean Rugby Union players?

Rugby is a tough sport, it's a great sport. But those MotoGP guys are tough Mofos. How many people do you know who will break bones and yet still yet on the bikes to compete in a race? Even the Rugby players get taken off the pitch when they get hurt.

PS: never got into Rugby League. Too weird having to give the ball up. Rugby Union is where it is at. :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over