Kennedy

Russians, Gays, and the IOC

Russia and the IOC Agree: Don’t Be Openly Gay at the Olympics

On Monday, the Russian Interior Ministry confirmed what other Russian officials have been saying for weeks: Openly gay people attending the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, including athletes, will be arrested under the country’s draconian new anti-gay law. That law, you might recall, prohibits “homosexual propaganda” and is designed to discourage any kind of support for gay rights or even gay people.

The International Olympic Committee’s response to gay people? We mean it: Stay in the closet.

Olympic Committee threatens to punish athletes who fight for gay Russians

The Sports World to Gay Fans: Don’t Be Gay (For a While)

Apparently wearing a rainbow pin is cause for sanctions against athletes. Analogies for crosses, crucifixes, yarmulkes, and other expressions of belief or pride come to mind.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I'm torn on this. First off, I've spent a significant part of my career being involved with gay and think that private conduct is nobody else's business unless there's a buck to be made.

But on the other hand, "when in Rome do as the Romans." We aren't in the US. It's in Russia. What if the Olympics were in Islamabad and there was a threat to arrest gay athletes? Yes, it'd be backwards but for some reason I don't think there'd be as much trouble. What's said about Dubai, for example? Don't go there.

It's Russia and Russia can behave like a "bored kid" if it wants, right, Mr. President?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Unfortunately the Olympics and politics goes hand in hand. It used to be about states and their politics. But now it has morphed into special interest politics. I yearn for an Olympics that is about sports and nothing but sports. I know, I know. It's a pipe dream.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

If Russia wants to keep acting like Russia, that's up to them. I don't care, I don't live there and don't travel there. But doesn't the IOC have the responsibility to choose a site that isn't on the "don't go here if you want to be treated like a human" list?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Here's the worst bit of news about this. Russian pole vaulter (ah!), and internet spank bank heartthrob, Yelena Isinbayeva, has come out in support of Putin on this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23717242

If you don't remember her, here's a reminder: https://www.google.com/search?q=Yelena+Isinbayeva&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bD0OUoKQDcS8yAGR6IBQ&ved=0CK4BEIke&biw=2133&bih=1061#imgdii=_

Now, I personally find that position completely ass backwards, and insulting in this day and age. Beacause of this, I vow to not open links to her pics from now on.

BUT, fear not: in the BBC article, fellow athlete Emma Green Tregaro is shown having painted nails to support Gay rights.

Spank bank saved: https://www.google.com/search?q=Green-Tregaro'&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=GT4OUpveNuewyQHk3oHYBw&ved=0CJ0BEIke&biw=2133&bih=1061

(yeah yeah yeah.. I know... Respect the athletes for what they do, etc etc, blablabla, yadda yadda yadda) :P

Remster

They even had the Winter Olympics in Calgary - that place in winter is worse than death.

Hey I live in Calgary and yes sometimes hell does freeze over here. But it could be worse. At least we get the occasional Chinook. The people in Winterpeg, Edmonchuck and Scratchyourasschewan don't get Chinooks. :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Gravitymaster

***this is what happens when government gets too much power

This is why we need guns.

funny - the olympic committee should censure people that show support for guns

(the same old crowd will cry "but it's not the same")

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Personally, I would think all gay competitors would/should boycott.

That would be like Jesse Owens not competing in the 1936 Olympics, an event that famously flew in the face of Hitler and his master race ideology. The best thing gay athletes could do is bring home gold, their success and subsequent fame is what will bring support. Boycotting the events will only achieve what Putin wants.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

That would be like Jesse Owens not competing in the 1936 Olympics, an event that famously flew in the face of Hitler and his master race ideology. The best thing gay athletes could do is bring home gold, their success and subsequent fame is what will bring support. Boycotting the events will only achieve what Putin wants.

I suppose the men's figure skating will be the best bet.

IAAF makes 'gay rights' jumper repaint rainbow nails
Swedish high jumper Emma Green-Tregaro has repainted her nails after being warned by the IAAF that the rainbow colours she sported in qualification in support of gay rights were a breach of regulations.
Russian pole vault gold medallist Yelena Isinbayeva has provoked a furore at the World Athletics Championships over her outspoken anti-gay remarks, which she later tried to play down saying she was "misunderstood" and opposed to discrimination against homosexuals.
And she had called Green-Tregaro "unrespectful" to Russia after painting her nails in the colours of the rainbow flag that symbolises support for gay rights while competing in Moscow, a move that garnered acclaim elsewhere in the world.
Anders Albertsson, general secretary of the Swedish athletics federation, said before Saturday's high jump final that they had talked with track and field's governing body, the IAAF, over the issue and Green-Tregaro had revarnished her nails.

witty subliminal message
1*

lawrocket

They had the Olympics in Salt Lake a decade ago. In Beijing a couplw years ago. Moscow in 80. Sarajevo in 84. They even had the Winter Olympics in Calgary - that place in winter is worse than death.

And SLC relaxed its crazy alcohol laws for the duration. China had to jump through a lot of hoops (dog and pony show) for the IOC. Sarajevo in 1984 was actually a nice city before Yugoslavia tore itself apart.