rushmc

Reading Bible aloud outside DMV wasn't illegal, judge rules

No shit
I listened to the radio interview of these guys lawyers
The law suits are now coming
They should win big money

As shown in videos posted online, a California Highway Patrol officer arrested Mackey on suspicion of preaching to a captive audience. According to court documents, a second CHP officer arrived and told Coronado that protesting was not allowed unless a group had the proper permit.

“I answer to a higher power, the U.S. Constitution,” Coronado replied, according to the trial brief.

and WTF does the judge mean with the insufficient evidence crap???

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-dmv-bible-acquitted-20130813,0,4123072.story
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

No shit

As shown in videos posted online, a California Highway Patrol officer arrested Mackey on suspicion of preaching to a captive audience. According to court documents, a second CHP officer arrived and told Coronado that protesting was not allowed unless a group had the proper permit.

“I answer to a higher power, the U.S. Constitution,” Coronado replied, according to the trial brief.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-dmv-bible-acquitted-20130813,0,4123072.story

I guess to show that the audience was captive? I have no idea.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

I work in the core downtown of a big city, and we have about ten guys reading bibles and calling us all sinners within a 5 block area. Rain or shine, they are out there. In a way I admire their stubbornness. Or fanaticism. Either way, I would not say they preach to a captive audience.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

rushmc

Sigh... Two idiots idiotically arrest two other idiots and people cheer for the lawyers that are coming after me (the California taxpayer) for "big money."

Can't we just take disciplinary actions against the former and be done with it?

rushmc

No shit

Freedom OF religion includes freedom FROM religion.

If you want to conduct your life by the ideas presented in an ancient book of fables, have at it. Trying to force that on other citizens, in a public place, while the citizens are stuck in line waiting for a GOVERMENT office to open, is 100% wrong. If the law currently allows such preaching, the law needs to be changed. Preaching from private property, with permission of the property owner, no problem, as long as you are not disturbing the peace.

Why is it that conservatards have no real understanding of freedom and personal liberty?

Citizens should not have to put up with nitwits preaching their particular fantasies when standing in line at the DMV, the tax collector, or to vote. The old saying MYOB applies. Trying to force your religious beliefs on others is WRONG. Muslim, Jewish, or Christian, it doesn't matter. Preaching to a captive audience at a government facility should be illegal.

The 'tards consistently show that their limited concept of freedom only applies to men with pale skin, of white, northern european ancestry, with extra credit if you are a "Christian". Women and minorities are not due the same rights and privleges. They only are allowed the level of freedom which the white men say they are allowed. Some are more equal than others.

funjumper101

***No shit

If you want to conduct your life by the ideas presented in an ancient book of fables, have at it. Trying to force that on other citizens, in a public place, while the citizens are stuck in line waiting for a GOVERMENT office to open, is 100% wrong. If the law currently allows such preaching, the law needs to be changed. Preaching from private property, with permission of the property owner, no problem, as long as you are not disturbing the peace.

Why is it that conservatards have no real understanding of freedom and personal liberty?

Citizens should not have to put up with nitwits preaching their particular fantasies when standing in line at the DMV, the tax collector, or to vote. The old saying MYOB applies. Trying to force your religious beliefs on others is WRONG. Muslim, Jewish, or Christian, it doesn't matter. Preaching to a captive audience at a government facility should be illegal.

The 'tards consistently show that their limited concept of freedom only applies to men with pale skin, of white, northern european ancestry, with extra credit if you are a "Christian". Women and minorities are not due the same rights and privleges. They only are allowed the level of freedom which the white men say they are allowed. Some are more equal than others.

It would do you good to sit down with them for a few days

Maybe a month
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

******No shit

It would do you good to sit down with them for a few days

Maybe a month

Or . . . 12
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

funjumper101

***No shit

You make a very good point and i think most reasonable people would agree with you. I am trapped at the DMV, i should not have to listen to preaching.

However, the childish insults, calling people "tards", negates any point your trying to make with the same reasonable people. If your goal is to make a meaningful and mature point, why not do that without immature taunts and insults? I would rather have to listen to a preacher at the DMV than read you call people "tards". Its a shame too, because you have an excellent point but after reading your post i truly question if you are capable of controlling your emotions like an adult.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

weekender

******No shit

You make a very good point and i think most reasonable people would agree with you. I am trapped at the DMV, i should not have to listen to preaching.

However, the childish insults, calling people "tards", negates any point your trying to make with the same reasonable people. If your goal is to make a meaningful and mature point, why not do that without immature taunts and insults? I would rather have to listen to a preacher at the DMV than read you call people "tards". Its a shame too, because you have an excellent point but after reading your post i truly question if you are capable of controlling your emotions like an adult.

He might have a point had these people been inside
but they were outside on a sidewalk
A public area
And the judge ruled that there was no captive audience
fun sees only what he want to see
Abraham Lincoln

>"
A public area
fun sees only what he want to see"

i dont think either of us are discussing the legality of it. You should not be able to harass people with your preaching if they are trapped outside a gov't building.

Every time i walk underground from Times Square to the Port Authority i am bombarded with preachers and dont really have a problem with it. If they show up at the DMV, where i am pretty much trapped for a time, and preach to me, id consider it harassment. Not sure about the law, just saying it seems reasonable to me to draw the line somewhere and online at the DMV is a good place.
John Frusciante

weekender

>"
A public area

i dont think either of us are discussing the legality of it. You should not be able to harass people with your preaching if they are trapped outside a gov't building.

Every time i walk underground from Times Square to the Port Authority i am bombarded with preachers and dont really have a problem with it. If they show up at the DMV, where i am pretty much trapped for a time, and preach to me, id consider it harassment. Not sure about the law, just saying it seems reasonable to me to draw the line somewhere and online at the DMV is a good place.

According to what I read
they were just reading the bible among themselves
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***>"
A public area

According to what I read

i read it and see it differently. he was reading it out loud. he is a pastor. to me that is preaching. no one would even care if he read it to himself because he wouldnt be disturbing anyone. on the video he is reading it in very loudly and obviously projecting his voice so others can hear it. again, that is preaching to me.

to me its not about what he is reading. if he stood there all day and read the WSJ in the same manner, i would consider it harassment. And that is the bible to me and my friends.
John Frusciante

Change the religious tome being inflicted on the people waiting in line at the DMV from the Bible to the Koran.

I am sure that you and your kind would be the first to be offended by the abuse inflicted on your fellow citizens, and be pissed as hell that the judge let the perp off.

Gravitymaster

How does one become "trapped" on the outside of a building by 2 people? Seems to me you could just keep walking.

if i have to take a day off from work and stand in line at the DMV, i feel trapped there. i cannot leave without losing my place online and a days work. Its not a starbucks, where i can go to another DMV and get their drivers license.

we both know that i am not literally trapped there. you also know my point but dont like it, fine. Dont try to imply its not logical. you can just say you would prefer people are permitted to preach at the DMV and i should have to suck it up.

I'm curious how much you'd support it if they were preaching the Koran or evils of flouride in drinking water. Or the benefits of Obamacare.
John Frusciante

funjumper101

Change the religious tome being inflicted on the people waiting in line at the DMV from the Bible to the Koran.

I am sure that you and your kind would be the first to be offended by the abuse inflicted on your fellow citizens, and be pissed as hell that the judge let the perp off.

Rant #2
Abraham Lincoln

weekender

******>"
A public area

According to what I read

i read it and see it differently. he was reading it out loud. he is a pastor. to me that is preaching. no one would even care if he read it to himself because he wouldnt be disturbing anyone. on the video he is reading it in very loudly and obviously projecting his voice so others can hear it. again, that is preaching to me.

to me its not about what he is reading. if he stood there all day and read the WSJ in the same manner, i would consider it harassment. And that is the bible to me and my friends.

So, if they are on the same street as you are, they have no free speech rights and should shut up or be arrested. Regardless of what they are reading

Got it

To reply
bull shit

You dont have to listen
If they are harrasing you and are in your face then that would be different
But you chose to be bothered or not
get over it

I am thankful the court and the Constitituon does not agree with you
Abraham Lincoln

weekender

***How does one become "trapped" on the outside of a building by 2 people? Seems to me you could just keep walking.

if i have to take a day off from work and stand in line at the DMV, i feel trapped there. i cannot leave without losing my place online and a days work. Its not a starbucks, where i can go to another DMV and get their drivers license.

we both know that i am not literally trapped there. you also know my point but dont like it, fine. Dont try to imply its not logical. you can just say you would prefer people are permitted to preach at the DMV and i should have to suck it up.

I'm curious how much you'd support it if they were preaching the Koran or evils of flouride in drinking water. Or the benefits of Obamacare.

Me?

I would feel the same
but this was the bible
Christian are free targets these days
They have no rights according to funny and other here I guess[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

*********>"
A public area

According to what I read

So, if they are on the same street as you are, they have no free speech rights and should shut up or be arrested. Regardless of what they are reading

Got it

To reply
bull shit

You dont have to listen
If they are harrasing you and are in your face then that would be different
But you chose to be bothered or not
get over it

I am thankful the court and the Constitituon does not agree with you

i believe i made it clear that we are discussing me at the DMV or similar gov't buildings. if you reread my post you will see i have no problem with it in other public places or even the same side of the street as i.

as i said, you have to draw the line somewhere as to preaching or just blabbing in public out loud. i feel that drawing the line at the DMV seems reasonable.
John Frusciante

weekender

***How does one become "trapped" on the outside of a building by 2 people? Seems to me you could just keep walking.

Some folks feel the same way about protesters that you feel about street preaching. Should protesters be muzzled because they annoye somebody?

Me? I don't like any of them, but I'm not about to call in the law to silence, arrest, and remove them. I ignore them, or pop in the headphones. The only one I ever took action against was a baptist preacher in the crazy westboro strain who was blocking entry to a building. Police were watching but not doing anything about denying access. So we pulled out a video camera, and a friend tried to walk through the group. One of them got in his face and poked him in the chest. My boy went all wristy-twisty and took the guy to the ground. The group howled bloody murder. When the cop came over, we showed him the video. He asked my guy if he wanted to press charges for assault. The fuckwits let us through. They didn't come back the next day.

Bottom line, don't fuck with free speech. There is no such thing as a right not to be offended or annoyed. Grow up and deal with it.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*