Skyrad

Is it possible for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to get a fair trail in the USA?

With all the media attention surrounding the case from the moment of the crime to the killing of his brother and finally the arrest of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is it possible for him to receive a fair trial in the USA given the near total belief that he did it?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

With all the media attention surrounding the case from the moment of the crime to the killing of his brother and finally the arrest of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is it possible for him to receive a fair trial in the USA given the near total belief that he did it?

Hell, OJ got a fair trial. GZ got a fair trial. Dzhokhar will get a fair trial and then hanged.

Simply because a guilty person is judged as such does not mean their trial is not fair. Fairness is predicated (imho) by an honest and thorough attention to the law. I believe this man will receive that.

The only thing that concerns me is the possibility that the Justice Department will levy a litany* of charges; everything from using a WMD and terrorist activity all the way down to jay-walking or other pathetic diversions.

John

ETA: *the charges at both ends of the spectrum will be a disgusting overreach. The legitimate offenses (again, imho) will be the ones somewhere in the middle.

Skyrad

Being from across the pond what is it to you? Why don't you worry about the muslims who decapitated that soldier walking on the streets of london and whether they'll get fair trials, considering it was all on tape?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Skyrad

You pose that question as if you had doubt as to his implication in the bombings.

Friends and colleagues of Andy9o8 will insure he gets a fair trial so that after he is found guilty and sentenced to death there will be no grounds for appeal.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

skypuppy

***With all the media attention surrounding the case from the moment of the crime to the killing of his brother and finally the arrest of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is it possible for him to receive a fair trial in the USA given the near total belief that he did it?

Being from across the pond what is it to you? Why don't you worry about the muslims who decapitated that soldier walking on the streets of london and whether they'll get fair trials, considering it was all on tape?

There are at least a half-dozen Canadian DZ.com-ers (can you think of any?) who regularly participate in SC threads about issues or events occurring in the US. And that's just one example of how we all discuss events in multiple countries. It's pretty hypocritical for you to hold Skyrad to a different standard.

aphid

***Being from across the pond what is it to you?

Come on Rob...:S

I'm simply wondering with the recent highly publicized decapitation of a soldier in the UK by muslim terrorist-types why he has to ask if the boston bomber can get a fair trial. what's the difference with the uk situation?>
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

Andy9o8

******With all the media attention surrounding the case from the moment of the crime to the killing of his brother and finally the arrest of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is it possible for him to receive a fair trial in the USA given the near total belief that he did it?

There are at least a half-dozen Canadian DZ.com-ers (can you think of any?) who regularly participate in SC threads about issues or events occurring in the US. And that's just one example of how we all discuss events in multiple countries. It's pretty hypocritical for you to hold Skyrad to a different standard.

Discuss, maybe. Don't usually bring it up. And with the similar situation in UK right now, why not ask about that?

[Quote]Friends and colleagues of Andy9o8 will TRY TO ensure he gets a fair trial

I fixed it. I have serious doubts whether there can be a fair trial when the feds are involved. Fundamental rights and fairness have already been erased, as evidenced by a federal magistrate going to the hospital room to tell him his rights in the midst of his interrogation with denial of counsel, etc.

The government has already done its best to tilt the balance. Now it's up to the Defense to find out everything that Tsarnaev said before he received his rights (good luck with that) and take steps to throw it all out but will invariably be unable to learn everything, which the Prosecution will put out there without an opportunity for defense.

Yes. I'm still pissed off.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I suspect they could exclude the entire interrogation, and still have an overwhelming mountain of evidence to present. It would be a lot "cleaner" if they chose to do it that way.

Don

GeorgiaDon

I suspect they could exclude the entire interrogation, and still have an overwhelming mountain of evidence to present. It would be a lot "cleaner" if they chose to do it that way.

Don

I agree that they will be able to disregard any info obtained at the expense of his basic, constitutionally protected rights.
They have enough evidence to convict without it.

But that doesn't excuse the behavior.

Interrogating a suspect who is seriously injured?
Denying counsel?
Trampling all over his rights?

It will all get ignored. Because he is a terrorist.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Maybe they should grab Bernie De La Rionda and Mr. Guy for this one. You know, give them overwhelming evidence and a sure conviction, get them back in the game a little bit.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

wayneflorida

***With all the media attention surrounding the case from the moment of the crime to the killing of his brother and finally the arrest of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is it possible for him to receive a fair trial in the USA given the near total belief that he did it?

Hell, OJ got a fair trial. GZ got a fair trial. Dzhokhar will get a fair trial and then hanged.

Boston would object that Dzhokhar gets hanged. Poor little nice guy on the front of Rolling Stone that went bad. No... he'll get life. Liberals just don't have the stomach to do what is right. Death.

The Boston cops need firearms training. They do need to get that.

skypuppy

******Being from across the pond what is it to you?

Come on Rob...:S

I'm simply wondering with the recent highly publicized decapitation of a soldier in the UK by muslim terrorist-types why he has to ask if the boston bomber can get a fair trial. what's the difference with the uk situation?>

Well put like that its a fair question, the main difference is that the entire crime in London was witnesses by crowds of people who saw the criminals murder the victim and filmed it. The suspects then waited until the Police came and were shot while charging down the Police while caring bloody weapons and trying to shoot the Police. There is no doubt whatsoever about their guilt.... Having said that they are still innocent until proven guilty in a court of law and so its a fair question, will they get a fair trial. I believe they will but due to the overwhelming amount of evidence I doubt that there is any chance of them being found innocent. With Dzhokhar Tsarnaev the evidence seems to be secondary to the belief that he is guilty, even during the early stages of the search for the bomber he and his brother were named as the bombers. I don't doubt that the FBI will have hard evidence against him by the trial but in both the London case and the Boston case one has to question the role of the media in jury trials in the information age.

Another reason I'm interested in the Boston case is that I know how the justice system in England works and also that the system in the USA is very different, there are things you can say and do in the USA in court that are not permitted in the English courts.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

lawrocket

[Quote]Friends and colleagues of Andy9o8 will TRY TO ensure he gets a fair trial

I fixed it. I have serious doubts whether there can be a fair trial when the feds are involved. Fundamental rights and fairness have already been erased, as evidenced by a federal magistrate going to the hospital room to tell him his rights in the midst of his interrogation with denial of counsel, etc.

The government has already done its best to tilt the balance. Now it's up to the Defense to find out everything that Tsarnaev said before he received his rights (good luck with that) and take steps to throw it all out but will invariably be unable to learn everything, which the Prosecution will put out there without an opportunity for defense.

Yes. I'm still pissed off.

And those are some of the differences in the London situation verses the Boston one, this would not be allowed in an English court, which is why I posted the original question.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca