brenthutch

Chevy volt sales continue to drop

kallend

***All the more reason to raise taxes on hybrid and electric car drivers. It's time they started paying their fair share.

Road use taxes should go as the cube of the axle weight in order to accurately pay for the damage caused to roads. Shouldn't depend on the power source.

Agreed.

kallend

***All the more reason to raise taxes on hybrid and electric car drivers. It's time they started paying their fair share.

Road use taxes should go as the cube of the axle weight in order to accurately pay for the damage caused to roads. Shouldn't depend on the power source.

I'd be fine with that. It might reduce the subsidization I provide for motorists as I pedal from point A to point B, paying far more in road maintenance than justified by the wear and tear I cause to the roads I use.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

******All the more reason to raise taxes on hybrid and electric car drivers. It's time they started paying their fair share.

I'd be fine with that. It might reduce the subsidization I provide for motorists as I pedal from point A to point B, paying far more in road maintenance than justified by the wear and tear I cause to the roads I use.

I just checked and it seems that research by American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials puts road damage closer to the FOURTH power of axle weight. So doubling axle weight increases damage by 2^4 = 16 times.

By this measure a Suburban should pay some 15x the tax that a Prius pays.

I'd be fine with road taxes being calculated that way.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

jcd11235

******All the more reason to raise taxes on hybrid and electric car drivers. It's time they started paying their fair share.

Where I live, some of the taxes we pay are based on a vehicles value. Thus, someone driving an old clunker that leaks oil and spews smoke into the air, pays less than someone driving a new, fuel efficient Honda Civic.

Gravitymaster

Where I live, some of the taxes we pay are based on a vehicles value. Thus, someone driving an old clunker that leaks oil and spews smoke into the air, pays less than someone driving a new, fuel efficient Honda Civic.

Where I live, we also pay personal property taxes, but it goes towards school funding, not road maintenance. Much of road maintenance comes from sales taxes, though, IIRC.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***Where I live, some of the taxes we pay are based on a vehicles value. Thus, someone drivin. , g an old clunker that leaks oil and spews smoke into the air, pays less than someone driving a new, fuel efficient Honda Civic.

Where I live, we also pay personal property taxes, but it goes towards school funding, not road maintenance. Much of road maintenance comes from sales taxes, though, IIRC.

School funding comes mostly from real estate taxes, here.

ayevee8toryear

A Tesla or a Leaf will just run out of energy on a long haul, then you will have to wait for a recharge before moving on...

That sux.

Or maybe not: http://qz.com/96649/tesla-introduces-robot-mechanics-to-swap-out-electric-car-batteries/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That's awesome. Let me know when there is a nationwide network of these exchange stations (you know...outside of silicon valley) so that I could drive coast to coast without interruption as fast as I would in a volt.
Not discounting their progress (in fact cheering them on), and to be long term successful this is a very important step. But the fact stands I can easily drive coast to coast, or even into BFE, and not have to worry the least bit about a fuel source for a volt, worst case is I have to fill up with petrol and get amazing fuel mileage.. If I had to pick one to buy tomorrow in the current climate I would buy the volt.

I'm curious what you say to your host on the overnight trip when you need to plug in. Is it rude to offer money? Is it rude of the host to ask for it? [:/]

I guess it might be like cell phones 10 years ago in a restaurant; people looked at those inconsiderate bastards using them and cringed at the imposition, but now everyone has them, and no one gives it a second thought!

New social protocols we haven't even thought about, yet.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9