brenthutch

Chevy volt sales continue to drop

>or do you just have a weird obsession with this particular model for no logical reason?

Well, it might be logical to him. If he enjoys seeing US car companies do poorly, or if imagining that he is "sticking it to someone" makes him happy, it would make sense to post what he does.

I knew a guy at a former company who enjoyed telling gruesome stories about how people he'd read about got injured or killed. "Had to send that guy home in an envelope!" he'd say with a big grin on his face. "Bet that guy never mouthed off to a better driver again" he'd end another one with glee. "Musta smelled just like barbeque in there. Can you imagine?" Etc etc.

We figured that he always saw himself as smarter than the people in the stories he told, and that telling the stories to people at work validated those feelings.

billvon

>or do you just have a weird obsession with this particular model for no logical reason?

Well, it might be logical to him. If he enjoys seeing US car companies do poorly, or if imagining that he is "sticking it to someone" makes him happy, it would make sense to post what he does.

I knew a guy at a former company who enjoyed telling gruesome stories about how people he'd read about got injured or killed. "Had to send that guy home in an envelope!" he'd say with a big grin on his face. "Bet that guy never mouthed off to a better driver again" he'd end another one with glee. "Musta smelled just like barbeque in there. Can you imagine?" Etc etc.

We figured that he always saw himself as smarter than the people in the stories he told, and that telling the stories to people at work validated those feelings.

You are close but for one thing

He (and I for that matter) wants US companies to do well. And what helps that is not throwing money on stupid shit because of political pressure. If the public really wants it, the rest takes care of itself
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

This will help them sell;)

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/09/states-look-to-tax-hybrid-and-electric-car-owners-to-recoup-road-funding/

North Carolina is joining a growing number of states exploring new fees for hybrid and electric car owners to help make up for revenue those drivers aren't paying in gas taxes on their fuel-efficient vehicles.

The proposal strikes many owners of alternative-fuel vehicles and some advocacy groups as a wrong-headed approach to balancing priorities of promoting U.S. energy independence with sustainable infrastructure funding. But policymakers and some experts argue taxing hybrid and electric vehicle owners is a matter of making sure all drivers help maintain the roads they use and construct new ones.

this also gets right to the heart of those owning these things thinking they are special because they have one

funny shit
Abraham Lincoln

this also gets right to the heart of those owning these things thinking they are special because they have one

funny shit

So you're against government interference when it benefits something you don't like, but you celebrate government interference when it hurts something you don't like?

I think you fell off your high horse and haven't even realized it yet.

- Dan G

DanG

funny shit

So you're against government interference when it benefits something you don't like, but you celebrate government interference when it hurts something you don't like?

Don't you think hybrid owners "need to pay their fair share" of taxes? Why should they get a break? They are driving on the same roads and causing the same wear and tear as other drivers. Most hybrid drivers are nothing but granola munching yuppies anyway. Why should poor people who cant afford these exotic cars forced to subsidize hybriders?

DanG

funny shit

Give me examples of both please
Abraham Lincoln

Post: It is matter of fact, not one of logic. Currently electric cars are not a viable replacement for gas/diesel ones, and we should not be wasting tax payer dollars on them.

So why don't you want people to discuss how viable replacements are being developed and fielded? Why don't you want people to discuss the fact that new technologies often take some time to become established in the marketplace? If you just want to post your thoughts on the Chevy Volt without any response, may I suggest you start a blog, and refrain from posted in a discussion forum.

- Dan G

Most hybrid drivers are nothing but granola munching yuppies anyway

I just traded in my Prius (with military related license plates that I used to drive to my job developing weapons) for a big fat gas guzzler. Will you be my friend now?

- Dan G

The analogous argument would be: I against government hand outs but I am for everyone to pay their "fair share" of taxes. If that is the point you are making, I agree.

Huh, I thought the mantra was supposed to be, "I'm against the government picking winners and losers." I guess the mantra changes when it doesn't suit the current argument.

- Dan G

DanG

Give me examples of both please

Seriously? OK, you're against government subsidies for development of electric vehicles, but you're for government fees on electric vehicles.

Duh.

Fail

I pay taxes to use the roads
so should ev's

Come on dude
You can do better:D
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

Most hybrid drivers are nothing but granola munching yuppies anyway

I just traded in my Prius (with military related license plates that I used to drive to my job developing weapons) for a big fat gas guzzler. Will you be my friend now?

Depends on what flavor granola you like.

rushmc

I pay taxes to use the roads
so should ev's

Fuel taxes only pay a fraction of road maintenance: http://taxfoundation.org/article/gasoline-taxes-and-tolls-pay-only-third-state-local-road-spending

See chart halfway down the page. e.g. in my state of CO, fuel tax and tolls pay only 30.6%.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>Why should they get a break? They are driving on the same roads and causing the
>same wear and tear as other drivers.

Well, one reason is because those cars might be the reason your grandkids have some oil left by the time they're old enough to drive.

>Most hybrid drivers are nothing but granola munching yuppies anyway.

So they eat less meat, thus putting far less strain on farms, water supplies, energy supplies and roads. Good thing they are there to support your typical overweight burger-gobbling, beer-swilling, pickup-truck-driving redneck, eh? They deserve a break for supporting those fat lazy couch potatoes.

(just to get an equally valid stereotype in)

>Why should poor people who cant afford these exotic cars forced to subsidize hybriders?

Poor people now drive used hybrids. They prefer them since they get better gas mileage. And since they last forever you can get a Prius with 200,000 miles on it for pretty cheap.

Gravitymaster

All the more reason to raise taxes on hybrid and electric car drivers. It's time they started paying their fair share.

Road use taxes should go as the cube of the axle weight in order to accurately pay for the damage caused to roads. Shouldn't depend on the power source.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.