rushmc

NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily

Iago

Well, FB did develop a 'facial recognition' algorithim so they could 'auto-tag' (supposedly) your uploaded photos. And they probably have the largest database of identified faces available (that aren't already in a mugshot someplace).

But after Apple and Picassa introduced this feature. Very useful to the image owners. It's sad that Lightroom still doesn't have it.

rushmc

Anyone want to bet if this just is about Verison?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/nsa-phone-records-verizon-court-order?guni=Network%20front:network-front%20main-2%20Special%20trail:Network%20front%20-%20special%20trail:Position1

The order, a copy of which has been obtained by the Guardian, requires Verizon on an "ongoing, daily basis" to give the NSA information on all telephone calls in its systems, both within the US and between the US and other countries.

The document shows for the first time that under the Obama administration the communication records of millions of US citizens are being collected indiscriminately and in bulk – regardless of whether they are suspected of any wrongdoing

You don't seem to realize that this has been going on for years. It didn't start with Obama and it absolutely will NOT end with him.

Feel safer yet?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Gravitymaster

***Correct. This is an entire fucking government issue. House, Senate, Admin (both 43 and 44) and Supreme Court.

Do you still support a larger government that can "do more" for the people?

I believe there is a place for government in society. I believe that place is to do the things individuals alone can not do, including but not limited to; laws, mail, copyright, patents, trademarks, police, fire, military, roads, water, air traffic, radio frequency coordination, schools, public safety including environment, food and safety, care for people incapable of taking care for themselves.

We can quibble over where the lines are, but government is required.

Want to live in a country without government. Please, by all means, go visit Somalia.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Who said anything about having no government? Don't you see a sweet spot between the 2 extremes?

I kind of think we have that already.

Oh, hey no problem then. Everything's just great. Lets let the government grow even larger so they can better serve us. No worries!!

Gravitymaster

***Correct. This is an entire fucking government issue. House, Senate, Admin (both 43 and 44) and Supreme Court.

Do you still support a larger government that can "do more" for the people?

Please stop referring to government as Large vs Small...

Want to live in a country without government. Please, by all means, go visit Somalia.

...because all it does is bring about stupid statements like this.

Its about scope of influence (of power), not size.

Anyone who is shocked by this... has been asleep. Thomas Drake has been talking about this for years.

quade

***Who said anything about having no government? Don't you see a sweet spot between the 2 extremes?

Have your kids go into the front yard and open a lemonade stand, then tell ms if you still feel that way.....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

jgoose71

******Who said anything about having no government? Don't you see a sweet spot between the 2 extremes?

Have your kids go into the front yard and open a lemonade stand, then tell ms if you still feel that way.....

Pretty sure that's not an issue.

Next stupid strawman?
quade -

Your right, it's not an issue as long as you have your buisness licence and all the proper permits. Google it.

If the purpose of this thread is to high lite government abuses and overreaches into the daily lives of the average citizen, I don't think you have enough band width....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

You'll get far more traction if you focus on real issues rather than silly lemonaide stands.

The issue here isn't that I think the NSA survailence is not a big deal; it is. The issue is how surprised some people seem to be about it. I've been complaining about "The Patriot Act" since before it was signed into law. Unfortunately, in some people's minds it was "nothing to worry about" since GWB was at the helm.

Those surprised by these recent events are part of the problem; apathy over real issues, yet "outrage" at shit that doesn't matter a bit by comparison.

<--- Been bitching about it for a decade.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=509551;search_string=patriot%20act;#509551
quade -

Silly little issues become big ones, like the guy who is now a convicted felon, lost his buisness, lost his family, lost everything because he imported frozen lobster in the wrong kind of plastic wrap.

I know you probably don't care because you are not in the restaurant business, but to some people, yes it is a big deal.

Wire tapping is a big deal because we are one step away from the government patrolling private conversations looking for something to convict you on. So I see why this would concern you, it effects you.

But you were so willing to turn a blind eye to the "silly little issues" that effect other people because our government is "just right" .

Then when these "silly little issues" set the stage for the big stuff, you act all shocked and surprised.

So yes, saw it coming a while ago. This is the government you asked for looking for all those "government protections" and any outrage just seems a little insincere...

Well, I'm glad you equate a child's lemonaide stand to the real issues of food safety when it comes to seafood?!?

Uh, dude, those two issues aren't even in the same fucking ballpark.
quade -

Google the fines paid by the parents for letting their kids set up a lemmonaide stand. I'd say they felt it was pretty close...

And as I said before, the small cases set precedence for government over reach. And if you don't get it, there is nothing I can do to help you.

And if you don't understand the difference between some overzealous local Barney Fife and the fully government approved NSA actions against virtually all of the citizens of the US, I doubt there's little I can help you with.

One does NOT lead to the other. They are completely unrelated. There will ALWAYS be some dickhead with a badge somewhere, but that is not the same thing as Congress, The Administration and the Supreme Court approving national surveillance programs. One is a quirky news story and the other is Orwellian.
quade -

Gravitymaster

If the government ever gets too big, in your opinion, how would we know it?

That's just it, he is so enamoured with the fact that "his people" are in government and they are passing laws that suit his political spectrum that he didn't care that it was erroding his freedoms until this came along. Now that it is effecting him, he cares.

To use use the liberal argument:

"Name one right you have actually lost? It's not an illeagal search and seazure, the government is just monitoring in its duty to keep you safe. Think of the children..."

My letter to my congressmen and Senators yesterday:

There is so much wrong today and yet, there are such easy solutions.

1. The latest revelation of Verizon phone call monitoring and tracking (or whatever you want to call it) is ridiculous Just another nail in the coffin of the USA becoming a police state. I demand that you stop it. Congress actually has the power to stop this. Presidential executive order or whatever you want to call it, CONGRESS has the power to change the laws to stop these activities. The Constitution prevents government from invasive breaches of privacy and unreasonable search and seizure.
a. Unlawful and widespread grabbing of internet and telephone traffic. Just because it is easy to do does not mean that you should be doing it. Power corrupts and these agencies (NSA, NSC, DoD, and the thousands of outside contracted private agencies) are corrupt and out of control. Think of the $$ we are spending on these agencies, mostly unfunded and we wonder why we are broke.
b. Civil rights violations with stop-and-frisk laws in major cities. States rights or not, the federal government is there to ensure that INDIVIDUAL rights are not being violated. And they are, every day. What are you doing about it? Absolutely nothing I expect.
2. Religious violations of the Constitution are rampant. This is a country with a Constitution that protects ALL religions to freely practice, (or none at all). I am tired of seeing this country drift down a Christian right-wing fundamentalist direction that limits freedoms and restricts people and their activities based solely on their biblical beliefs. More people than ever DO NOT BELIEVE in any religious dogma, and once again the Federal Government should be here to PROTECT those freedoms for EVRYONE, not assist in their elimination. And the only way that happen is when the government at ALL levels stays OUT OF RELIGION altogether. Separate my government from any and all religious activity.
3. When are we going to wake up and realize that the war on drugs is one of the greatest miscarriages of justice against the American people ever conceived? The money we waste, and the number of people we persecute for what is basically a medical condition is bankrupting the country (along with silly wars). We now have more people in prison than any country in the world. Congratulations. What exactly are you doing about it? I expect nothing.

All of these issues are the responsibly of Congress. Why is it not changing? Because you don’t actually care. You don’t actually give a fuck. Because all you can think about it how much money you need to raise from corporations to win the next election. And until the corporate money gets out of elections and politics in general, I expect you will continue to not give a fuck about the American People.

Get corporate money out of politics. Forever. One simple piece of legislation. ALL political donations are recorded and are made public. ALL political donations made ONLY by individuals. ALL political donations then speak for the people, who you represent. Until then, this government and this country will continue to slide into a spiral out-of-control corrupt police state serving no one, and certainly corrupt.

rushmc

Anyone want to bet if this just is about Verison?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/nsa-phone-records-verizon-court-order?guni=Network%20front:network-front%20main-2%20Special%20trail:Network%20front%20-%20special%20trail:Position1

The order, a copy of which has been obtained by the Guardian, requires Verizon on an "ongoing, daily basis" to give the NSA information on all telephone calls in its systems, both within the US and between the US and other countries.

The document shows for the first time that under the Obama administration the communication records of millions of US citizens are being collected indiscriminately and in bulk – regardless of whether they are suspected of any wrongdoing

The practice of collecting data on all citizens, digital, phone conversations, electronic....has been going on for more than 20 years. The troubling issues...to the low information voter this doesn't even register within the gray matter floating between their ears.

And as someone here likes to point out: "Nobody who is a moderate swing vote in an election year cares. And they're the ones who will decide the 2014 and 2016 elections":P

And yes, tragically I think I agree with that statement.

I need to get off now, the NSA is monitoring every key stroke and I've used up my allotted time.