Channman

Annals of the Security State

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/05/annals-of-the-security-state-more-airplane-stories/276018/

No Clicky to the above referenced story, "will explore the process in purforming that next time...but for those of us that like to fly it is somewhat Scary in how you might be detained by Home Land Security when flying legally in our airspace simply because you meet a Certain Profile.:S

Don't know any others here that are pilots other than John Kallend that might find the enclosed story interesting.

But image dropping your case that holds your glasses on the ramp next to your airplane. Realizing you lost them, you return to look for them only to be surrounded by Police, totaling roughly 19, SWAT, A King Air 200 swooping in with DEA, and a DHLS Cessna Citation circling over head.

Now imagine you are being looked at as being a criminal until you prove otherwise.

Channman

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/05/annals-of-the-security-state-more-airplane-stories/276018/

No Clicky to the above referenced story, "will explore the process in purforming that next time...but for those of us that like to fly it is somewhat Scary in how you might be detained by Home Land Security when flying legally in our airspace simply because you meet a Certain Profile.:S

Don't know any others here that are pilots other than John Kallend that might find the enclosed story interesting.

But image dropping your case that holds your glasses on the ramp next to your airplane. Realizing you lost them, you return to look for them only to be surrounded by Police, totaling roughly 19, SWAT, A King Air 200 swooping in with DEA, and a DHLS Cessna Citation circling over head.

Now imagine you are being looked at as being a criminal until you prove otherwise.

Both have been extensively reported in the aviation press and aviation forums.

I can only assume that in the middle of OK or NM that the bureaucrats are so bored with the mindless monotony that they have to invent shit to do.

Funny that a west to east flight from CA is suspicious. After all, going the other way just gets you a lot of ocean.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi John,
Just think what would have happened to Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan on his return to CONUS had he performed his famous flight today?? 'Read the articles elsewhere and was not really surprised. Remember, all the "Airspace"from a couple of hundred feet "Upward" is "Controlled" by the "Feds!!" Just thinking about the $$$$involved is extensive. Consider the $$/Hr. for the jet circling above, the co$t/hr for all the other vehicles as well as the pay/hr. for all the personnel???? Hmmmmmmm????$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! Our Tax $$$$$ at work??? The dude gave a plausable explanation for "NOT" opening his flight plan as he was following major roadways etc.... 'doesn't matter anymore!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

[Reply]Funny that a west to east flight from CA is suspicious. After all, going the other way just gets you a lot of ocean./reply]

Trust me. That gets the Coast Guard on your ass and F-16s from the Air National Guard on your tail.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

"I'm a retired US Navy officer, have held security clearances during my entire time in the Navy, and now into my second career as an engineer for a defense contractor, and am one of the most law-abiding citizens in this country and yet something I did, or didn't do attracted this jack-boot fascist attention from our out-of-control government. I hope others like me can tell their story to show that Mr. Silverstein was not an "outlier data point". This is now the new-normal unless the public forces our representatives to do something about it."

and this is the reason not to fuck with any and all personal freedoms. damn government is like a child, give 'em an inch, and they'll take a mile. it's all well and good, until they start messing with the ones you like.

The pilot realized that he had dropped his eyeglass case

I was never told details of the "profile"

I dropped my eyeglasses case

"a certain profile"

If you're a terrorist on plane in USA, don't wear eyeglasses or the DHS will get you.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Its worth knowing the law to put these thugs in their place. Never consent to a search. Ask them what crime are they investigating. If they are on a fishing expedition, just ask them if you are free to go or are you being detained. They can only detain you if they have reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed. Keep the Iphone handy and record EVERYTHING. They will try to convince you that it's illegal to record them, but it's legal. There's no expectation of privacy for a public official performing duty in public. I have no respect for them whatsoever. Gangland thugs with no respect for you or the US Constitution.
The forecast is mostly sunny with occasional beer.

Arvoitus

The pilot realized that he had dropped his eyeglass case

I was never told details of the "profile"

***I dropped my eyeglasses case

"a certain profile"

If you're a terrorist on plane in USA, don't wear eyeglasses or the DHS will get you.

Well, I suppose he bent over to pick it up. Asking for trouble.

>"reported in the aviation press and aviation forums."

Then there is Robin Fleming and avid glider pilot who was almost shot down due to entering a make Believe NO FLY ZONE. "January 15, 2013"

He was charged for Breach of Peace, handcuff and had a total of 17 police vehicals respond with one officer requesting promission to shot down the pilot. DHS and the FBI got envolved with the Pilot held in custody for more than 24 hours.

Only after agreeing not to sue, he was released with no charges...however his finger prints, mug shot and a complete profile still remains in the hands of DHS/FBI.

Excellent story is located on You Tube.

Channman

>"reported in the aviation press and aviation forums."

Then there is Robin Fleming and avid glider pilot who was almost shot down due to entering a make Believe NO FLY ZONE. "January 15, 2013"

He was charged for Breach of Peace, handcuff and had a total of 17 police vehicals respond with one officer requesting promission to shot down the pilot. DHS and the FBI got envolved with the Pilot held in custody for more than 24 hours.

Only after agreeing not to sue, he was released with no charges...however his finger prints, mug shot and a complete profile still remains in the hands of DHS/FBI.

Yep, that has been covered extensively as well.

Clearly pilots fit the profile.

kallend

***>"reported in the aviation press and aviation forums."

Damn...were have I been living, UNDER A TREE? Well I guess I spend way to much time hanging out at the hanger to know these things.

Channman

******>"reported in the aviation press and aviation forums."

Damn...were have I been living, UNDER A TREE? Well I guess I spend way to much time hanging out at the hanger to know these things.

Remember Ritchie Daley's excuse for illegally ploughing up Meigs Field in the early hours of the morning? The permanent exclusion zone around Washington DC? Pilots aren't to be trusted!

Kennedy

Sheriff Office Response

"I’m not taking up for … mistakes that were made, but when you get a call from a facility like that, certain decisions have to be made within minutes and seconds,” Byrd said. “And the de-escalation comes afterwards.”

Unfortunately, the sheriff’s department didn’t de-escalate the situation as much as it should have, he said. But he defended the decision to hold Robin Fleming overnight and charge him with breach of peace. He said the local FBI had told them to hold the pilot for questioning, something they couldn’t do without a charge. The breach of peace charge is minor, he said, used for anything out of the ordinary, especially something that causes a law enforcement response.

Also, Fleming had said that his lawyer had told him outside the closed courtroom that the charges would be dropped if he agreed not to sue the department. Byrd denied that the prosecuting attorney made this suggestion.

Byrd said the sheriff’s office followed procedure for responding to a security issue at the nuclear power plant, contacting local, state, and federal officials. He said the initial call had been that a small craft, a glider or drone, had been circling the plant and had passed within 100 feet of the dome. (Fleming’s flight recorder, which logged data every four seconds, placed him at 1,518 feet msl when it passed over the plant once before circling over the nearby lake; the highest charted obstacle in the area is 577 feet msl.) Byrd said the department hasn’t received similar calls from power plant security, except for once when a helicopter flew over the plant two days in a row; deputies saw that it was Progress Energy contractors doing survey work and security personnel hadn’t been notified, and they did not respond, he said.

He said officers started to realize the glider wasn’t a threat once it was on the ground, and that they probably should have realized that fact earlier. He added that the handling of the situation was affected by “not being familiar with the operation of an aircraft like his, and not having dealt with a situation like this before, and quite frankly, the assumption by the plant, us, and the local and federal agencies that there was a restriction over the plant.”

No Clicky to the above referenced story, "will explore the process in purforming that next time...but for those of us that like to fly it is somewhat Scary in how you might be detained by Home Land Security when flying legally in our airspace simply because you meet a Certain Profile.

Been there done that.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca