Kennedy

UPDATE: 3D Printed Guns

The first entirely 3D-printed handgun is here
From butt to barrel, "The Liberator" is (almost) all ABS plastic

That's right boys and girls; no metal or ceramic barrel here.

He's named it in honor of the throw away guns dropped into occupied France during WWII. The FP 45 Liberator

ETA:
Longer and more in depth Forbes article:
This Is The World's First Entirely 3D-Printed Gun
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

he's a local guy and tends to use the same gun ranges I do. The week he produced and tested the printed AR lower I was leaving the private range he tested it at while he was showing up.

I saw him testing the Feinstein AK magazine at a different range a couple of weeks ago.

Totally unrelated, I also ran into the TrackingPoint guys at the range last week. They were obviously testing something so I didn't bother them, but they've got some pretty cool looking tech.
--
Rob

A NY politicians throwing an irrational hissy fit about firearms related news? I'm, like, sooooo surprised.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

he's a local guy and tends to use the same gun ranges I do. The week he produced and tested the printed AR lower I was leaving the private range he tested it at while he was showing up.

I saw him testing the Feinstein AK magazine at a different range a couple of weeks ago.

Totally unrelated, I also ran into the TrackingPoint guys at the range last week. They were obviously testing something so I didn't bother them, but they've got some pretty cool looking tech.

--------------------------------------------------------
I think trackingpoint technology is pretty cool. But its insanely expensive and takes all the fun out of actually hitting a target at further than 700 yards on your own accord.

No, no. We need to ban assault printers! Ban any printer capable of printing any part of an any weapon that can be used in any assault. We're not trying to take away your printers, we just want common sense legislation. For the children. If it saves just one life.
witty subliminal message
1*

Andy9o8

Schumer can suck a syphillitic dick.

The 75% of the country who are moderates are thoroughly impressed by comments just like that.

Not to mention the 75% of foreigners who are impressed. People needing to use such foul language must be really hard core and tough, eh?

Swoooooooon

Been following this for a short time. They couldn’t even get 10 rounds at first last I checked they were shooting 100 rounds with no issue. New material is being made as well. It will just be a matter of time before they will be just as reliable and possibly with more advantages.

Got to love technology.

Good for freedom loving people everywhere and i do mean everywhere. :)

Edit to add: Vice Documentary on 3d guns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Yep. Their AR lower is getting better and batter. I wouldn't want to go to war with one, but they're gettin there. The plastic pistol (feels funny saying that an being accurate, since gun-banning simpletons have been misusing if for so long) is very cool. It has no metal exect for a bail you can find anywhere, and the ammo. It isn't tiny, for the plastic to handle the pressure I guess, but being plastic has its advantages. I'd really like it for third world shitholes. Obviously want the 9mm barrel, but I'd also want a barrel for AR or AK ammo.

I wonder if he can use a .22 lr barrel and build in some suppression into the barrel.
witty subliminal message
1*

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/05/its-not-so-easy-3-d-print-gun/64951/

John Jay's David Kennedy put it best.

The panic that this is causing is completely unfounded. It's not that hard to build a crude, working firearm, call it a zip gun, call it whatever you want. It is a lot easier and would be a lot easier to fabricate something with existing materials than it would be to set up a printer and build one of these things. Home manufactured firearms are a next-to-non-existent problem anywhere. I don't think this changes anything very much.

and just to tweak the gun banner freak's noses, here is the file:
http://defcad.org/liberator/
witty subliminal message
1*

Kennedy

The first entirely 3D-printed handgun is here
From butt to barrel, "The Liberator" is (almost) all ABS plastic

That's right boys and girls; no metal or ceramic barrel here.

He's named it in honor of the throw away guns dropped into occupied France during WWII. The FP 45 Liberator

ETA:
Longer and more in depth Forbes article:
This Is The World's First Entirely 3D-Printed Gun

Pro/Anti argument aside, I don't really see the point unless you are looking to smuggle it through a metal detector?
If you want to build your own gun, its not terribly cheap or easy because of the equipment involved, and there are probably better and longer lasting home build options in a metalwork room aren't there?

if its just to show it could be done, then fair enough. i'm just struggling with the practical application. Any ideas?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I can make a zip gun by tomorrow. It's not much harder than a Molotov cocktail. I can make a disguised multi-use zip gun by the end of the week.

I can't "build" a Liberator because I don't have a printer. If I did have a printer, I could make one. I'm not worried about firing it because that's what it was designed for. Do you have any credible reason why it isn't safe? Or are you using less logic than Bloomberg?
witty subliminal message
1*

Pro/Anti argument aside, I don't really see the point unless you are looking to smuggle it through a metal detector?
If you want to build your own gun, its not terribly cheap or easy because of the equipment involved, and there are probably better and longer lasting home build options in a metalwork room aren't there?

if its just to show it could be done, then fair enough. i'm just struggling with the practical application. Any ideas?

To me it's just proof of concept. And probably a "fuck you" to folks who just like to regulate everything about everybody. This guy clearly falls towards (or even past) serious libertarian. He may really be approaching anarchist.

And you're right about this one being expensive. It's much cheaper to build a cheap metal POS gun. The difference is this requires no skill to make, and each unit made makes the initial outlay less per unit.
witty subliminal message
1*

Gravitymaster

I wonder if you can make a 3D printer with a 3D printer?

Not with one that prints in plastic. I suppose it's possible that a metal printer will make another printer someday, but we're certainly not anywhere near that with today's tech.
witty subliminal message
1*

Kennedy

Do you have any credible reason why it isn't safe?

How much do you know about material science?

For instance, if I tell you the pressures involved in firing a bullets, can YOU tell me what the exact formulation of plastic and thickness is required to safely contain it? What tolerance there might be before the barrel breaks apart? What temperature the room might need to be kept at while the plastic cures?

Neither could the guys who designed this gun nor were they completely confident in their design, which is why they remotely tested it before testing it while holding one in their hand.

Plans or a recipe do not an item make. You absolutely have to take into account the physical act of making the device and using it in the real world.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver