kallend

Irresponsible parents of the week

A southern Kentucky coroner says the mother of a 5-year-old boy who fatally shot his 2-year-old sister had just stepped away onto the porch when the shooting occurred.
Cumberland County Coroner Gary White tells WKYT-TV that the mother said she had been outside on a porch for "no more than three minutes."
Kentucky State Police say the girl was shot Tuesday afternoon in Cumberland County and was later pronounced dead.
Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told the Lexington Herald-Leader the boy received the .22-caliber rifle as a gift and is used to shooting it. He said the rifle was kept in a corner and the family didn't realize a shell was left inside it.

Great gift for a 5 year old!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I saw this story earlier and simply SHOOK my head ....flabbergasted.[:/]:(

I don't CARE where you live and how you practice your "constitutional rights"... giving a rifle to a 5 year old Kid... is pure Idiocy>:(

I wonder IF the "mom on the porch". was either "havin' a smoke" or else picking up
a better "cellular signal" for her phone call or text....

edited to add
i believe i commented in the sad thread about the child at a BBQ..."You GOTTA watch kids... when they are 3... 4.. 5, ALLL the time..." they are quick,, and imaginative and impulsive,,, and Yet to a certain extent real young kids , and 5 is young... are generally... Innocent, as was the 2 year old. Very Sad
:(

damn awful situation.....imho

Actually it is a great gift for a child. The problem isn't telling the child it's theirs. The problem is fuckwit parents who (A) clearly failed to instill respect or rules concerning the rifle (B) left it lying around unsecured (C) left ammunition not only available, but in the rifle and (D) left the child unsupervised.

Some states have a child access law. North Carolina does - see 14-315. Texas does. I'm not sure about Kentucky. Here is a summary, though uncited.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Theres's no fix for stupid.....

Sure there is. Darwin explained it. Stupid is less likely to reproduce and create more stupidity. You could argue that better medical, legal, and social services have undone some of what natural selection would take care of, but would you want to change those fields?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Agreed. I was 5 years old when I had my first Pellet gun and I wasnt allowed to have it unless my parents were there. They kept it locked up somewhere in their room and when they came home and I showed interest in it I could take it outside with some supervision. Of course after a few years I screwed that up after watching a trickshot show on TV where the guy placed a rifle over his shoulder and shot an apple off a womans head. I tried the same thing and instead blew out the window in my dads boat. I got my ass beat ten ways to sunday. Which is something kids these days need more of. Kids need to be taught whats right and whats not. Nothing brings the point home more than the occasional whipping.

In hopes that this is a thread about irresponsible parents and not some sort of gun control...

I was driving to a softball game yesterday at 6pm. Came up to a red light on a normally busy intersection. There was a little boy, no more than 5 or 6 years old, sitting in the middle of the intersection trying to tie his shoe. No parents anywhere around. Luckily a family in a van jumped out and attempted to slow traffic while one guy grabbed the kid. Turns out he lives 2 houses away from the intersection. His parents and family friends were outside in lawn chairs talking and laughing and had no idea. He said he walks to the park down the street all the time, on his own, nobody giving two shits about him. That kid won't be alive much longer.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I received my pellet gun when I was 7,and my 22 rifle at 9.
The ammo was always locked up until we went plinking.
At age 14 I was allowed to shoot unsupervised,but still had to ask for the ammo.
It was second nature to never point the barrel at anything other than targets or game,and all guns were considered loaded and ready to fire no matter what.

Actually it is a great gift for a child. The problem isn't telling the child it's theirs. The problem is fuckwit parents who (A) clearly failed to instill respect or rules concerning the rifle (B) left it lying around unsecured (C) left ammunition not only available, but in the rifle and (D) left the child unsupervised.

Some states have a child access law. North Carolina does - see 14-315. Texas does. I'm not sure about Kentucky. Here is a summary, though uncited.

This. I'm fine with buying a 5 year old their own .22. I'm not fine with storing it loaded, nor should the child have unsupervised access to it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>Actually it is a great gift for a child.

He might well like it - but it would like be giving him a car. Sure, he might love it, and he can certainly use it while being carefully supervised, and he can learn quite a bit about vehicle safety by driving with you in the driveway, and it will be very useful to him someday. But unless you are willing to be with him every time he has access to it, a working .22 rifle is a bad gift for a 5 year old.

I got my ass beat ten ways to sunday. Which is something kids these days need more of. Kids need to be taught whats right and whats not. Nothing brings the point home more than the occasional whipping.

If children were physically capable of defending themselves against battery by adults, violence against children in the fraudulent name of "discipline" would never occur.

"Corporal punishment"? What an antiseptic euphemism. Let's call it what it really is: Irresponsible parents of the weAk.

This. I'm fine with buying a 5 year old their own .22. I'm not fine with storing it loaded, nor should the child have unsupervised access to it.

Blues,
Dave

I agree. Train the kid properly on how to use it and store it, but still keep the kid supervised and the gun out of reach when not.

I'm reminded of the little girl who's become a crack shot with firearms... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f8VmJRuBFY
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I got my ass beat ten ways to sunday. Which is something kids these days need more of. Kids need to be taught whats right and whats not. Nothing brings the point home more than the occasional whipping.

If children were physically capable of defending themselves against battery by adults, violence against children in the fraudulent name of "discipline" would never occur.

"Corporal punishment"? What an antiseptic euphemism. Let's call it what it really is: Irresponsible parents of the weAk.

Your right. Lets not discipline the kids and let them run loose and do what ever they want. It seems to be working great for the youth of Chicago...[:/]
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Your right. Lets not discipline the kids and let them run loose and do what ever they want. It seems to be working great for the youth of Chicago...

I'll bet that a decent number of youth of Chicago are whapped regularly. And I'll bet that whapping doesn't help them.

It's a tool used by parents. It's often not the best tool, but it's easy.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Your right. Lets not discipline the kids and let them run loose and do what ever they want.

Putting words in other people's mouths is bush-league chickenshit.

For the record, we raised 2 kids to adulthood, and they're fine young adults. Plenty of discipline and strict supervision - but no violence.

At any rate, anyone who thinks violence is an acceptable means of disciplining children is complicit with child abusers. Anyone who does it is a child abuser.

>Actually it is a great gift for a child.

He might well like it - but it would like be giving him a car. Sure, he might love it, and he can certainly use it while being carefully supervised, and he can learn quite a bit about vehicle safety by driving with you in the driveway, and it will be very useful to him someday. But unless you are willing to be with him every time he has access to it, a working .22 rifle is a bad gift for a 5 year old.

You're trying to make a point that I think was already made by Kennedy. Or you are agreeing with him and emphasizing it, I guess.

I could caviat a statement about proper training and involvement and supervision about any gift, including paint sets, any toy with a sharp edge, and too much candy....

I personally think a 'great gift' to give a kid is discipline, responsibility, and way to demonstrate that to his parents. Lots of ways to do that - proper firearms discipline is a good one.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>You're trying to make a point that I think was already made by Kennedy.

Perhaps. He sounded like he thought it was a great gift for a 5 year old (which is what this thread is about) and I disagreed. If he meant "it's a great gift for a child, say 13 or 14, provided he is well supervised" then I agree w/him.

>I could caviat a statement about proper training and involvement and supervision
>about any gift, including paint sets, any toy with a sharp edge, and too much candy....

Totally agreed; supervision is key. But still, a set of sharp steak knives is just a plain bad gift for a five year old.

IMO, in general, It's a great gift for a 5 year old.

any assumption that this doesn't have a caviat about proper training and supervision is just trolling

not in general, but specifically?

setting the age? 5 vs 13, etc?

well that depends upon the kid, the parents, the type of gun, and where they live and what's normal for the 'village' and culture of that community. YMMV if you think of kids as living in a tightly packed urban areas, vs kids that grew up around guns and live on a farm or more rural area. etc etc etc

I know a lot of so called adults that I wouldn't give a sling shot to with or without proper supervision. Most of them get to drive cars. Also a mistake. But that doesn't change my general opinion on teaching kids responsibility.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

At any rate, anyone who thinks violence is an acceptable means of disciplining children is complicit with child abusers. Anyone who does it is a child abuser.

What a load of bullshit. I was disciplined many ways as a kid. Grounding, timeouts, not getting something, and when I did something really bad I got my ass whipped. My parents are far from child abusers or violent people in any way. When I got the belt I knew I better not fucking do that again. That's discipline, not battery. :S

Congratulations, your star children got lucky and didn't need that sort of discipline. When I was a kid I liked to push the envelope and that's how I learned what not to do. Raise your kids how you want and let other parents do the same.
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

>IMO, in general, It's a great gift for a 5 year old.

OK. I guess we disagree there. At 5 years old most kids simply don't have the level of awareness to be responsible for their own safety, and thus things like guns, knives, poisons etc are poor gifts. They can be used safely if they are closely supervised, but that doesn't make them good gifts for that age.

>setting the age? 5 vs 13, etc? well that depends upon the kid,

Definitely. But there are ages where a kid is simply too young even if he's the most heads up kid in the world. People aren't born with what they need to know to safely navigate the world, which is why those years of parenting are so important.

What a load of bullshit. I was disciplined many ways as a kid. Grounding, timeouts, not getting something, and when I did something really bad I got my ass whipped. My parents are far from child abusers or violent people in any way. When I got the belt I knew I better not fucking do that again. That's discipline, not battery. :S

Congratulations, your star children got lucky and didn't need that sort of discipline. When I was a kid I liked to push the envelope and that's how I learned what not to do. Raise your kids how you want and let other parents do the same.

Corporal punishment is the refuge of stupid, unimaginative people.
Parents who batter their children should go to jail.

Parents who batter their children should go to jail.

Yes they should. And as I'm sure you are aware, to constitute battery there must be "bodily harm or offensive touching." If you think a quick spanking results in bodily harm you need to get a grip on reality. It's safe to say I wasn't a victim of battery as a child.

I'm sorry your parents were so violent with you as a child.
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

-------------------------------------
Perhaps you parents should have used corporal punishment on you a little more.