jclalor

NBA center Jason Collins is coming out

I think people should be able to use drugs and alcohol as long as they are not under the influence while operating machinery,or if the substance use might dangerously impair their ability to care for children or others under their care.

See, the problem with that argument is that people who are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, don't normally use good judgment. That's why they get DWI's and have been known to beat their spouses and kids while drunk.

If you drive while intoxicated or beat people up because you are a drunk asshole,and you get caught,then you are punished.
If you neglect your kids you will also have problems with the law.
Punishing everyone for what some people might do while under the influence is classic nanny state philosophy.
You can not prevent assholes from being assholes by legislation.
The use of non prescribed drugs is illegal under federal law,the act of operating motor vehicles while impaired by any substance is illegal,child neglect is illegal,beating people up is illegal,murder is illegal,ect,ect,yet these laws are broken all the time.
Laws that protect people from themselves are stupid,since they punish them for victimizing no one else but themselves.
Humans have used drugs from before recorded history,and there have been addicts and assholes for as long as well,it's not going to stop.
Instead of legislating against what people might do to themselves,we should enforce legislation on what bad things they actually do to others with more severe punishment.
If someone wants to victimize themselves with substance abuse then let them,but do not fill up all the prison space with them,but rather save that needed space for those who victimize others.
Back to the main topic.If someone wants to be friends with someone who is gay,thats their right.
If someone doesn't want to associate with gay people,then thats their right as well.
I have gay friends who are cool as hell,I also know a few assholes who are gay,it's no different than dealing with straight folks,or people of different races and religions.
If a private business or citizen doesn't want to be associated with gay people,straight people,white people,black people,christians,jews,muslims,ect, they should have that right,it's their loss.
You shouldn't force people to think and do what they don't want to do in their private business in regards to personal beliefs.
They have the right to refuse service to,or segregate themselves from anyone,and you have the right to avoid there business and spend your time and money elsewhere.
The government on the other hand should not discriminate against anyone for religion,race,sex,or lifestyle.
It's supposed to be a free country right?

And how do you suppose we stop it?
Should we give up all are freedom and liberty?
There are places in the world where they have stopped most drug and alcohol related crimes,like say North Korea as example.
Would you like to live there?
You can't protect everyone from everything,unless you take total control of everything,and then you have a place like North Korea.
Most deaths from drugs by the way are self inflicted,and more adults and children are probably injured or killed from non drug related events than from drug induced rage, neglect,or driving under the influence.
How many people are victims of distractions while operating motor vehicles alone?
Texting,eating,talking,yelling at the kids, adjusting the radio,fatigue,speeding,ect,while driving is very common behavior without drug involvement.

I rather think his point is that we're willing, as a society, to pay the price for having alcohol be legal, it's rather hypocritical to then forbid drugs and guns.

Which is a topic that bears some thinking and discussion.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I would like to apologise for participating in drifting away from the original topic of this thread.:)Once again back to the topic.
I'm sure the NBA will be very acceting of a players being gay in this day and age.
As long as they continue to make crap loads of money from the players performance on court,I do not think it matters.

Drugs,guns,cars,ect,do not hurt anyone without human influence.
People are hurt by other people by either a conscious intent to do harm,or by lack of a conscious effort to avoid potential harm while participating in a potentially dangerous activity.
Life is and always has been dangerous,but I'm sure it is much safer here in the US than it was thousands of years ago anywhere in the world.
We are pretty damn safe from things like epidemic diseases,and starvation here in the US.
Those two threats kill alot of humans worldwide.
Back to the original topic again.
I know some people who worry about AIDS exposure from gay people:D:D.
They do not realize that you are just as likely to be exposed to aids by a hot girl who looks very,very healthy.
I'm sure there are a few macho dumbass players who might still be worried about exposure in the locker rooms or close contact on the court from a gay guy,but not think twice about the guys who are players with the ladies.
I wonder how Magic Johnson is doing?

The same as the number of innocent people who have to die while you figure out who can be a responsible gun owner and who can't.

Well, we know criminals can't be responsible gun owners. We should start with them. Unless you are suggesting we ban all alchohol and drugs and then only let people drug and booze after completing a government approve training program.

Would the government training be free?
Would they supply the drugs and booze?
I've trained extensively with vodka and coors light,but would be very open to some professional instruction and I try hard to stay open to new things. :D:D

Well, we know criminals can't be responsible gun owners. We should start with them.

So no alcohol for criminals then. Should take their driver's license away too.

That would be a good start. Maybe if they have a drug or alcohol problem, sobering up would help them work on getting their life going in a productive direction. As you know, many become criminals to support an addiction.

He's congratulated for coming out, all while he was with a white woman?
A cheater. How nice.

Liberals

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/30/carolyn-moos-jason-collins-fiancee-gay_n_3186736.html
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/jason-collins-former-fiancee-carolyn-moos-had-no-170001023.html

Former WNBA player Carolyn Moos dated Collins and even got engaged to him before he called things off in 2009. When Collins told her he is gay just days before going public with the news, she was shocked.

Comes out in 2013, broke off romantic relationship with the :o:o white woman in 2009. Sounds like we have a different definition of "cheater."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

>He's congratulated for coming out, all while he was with a white woman?

O the horror. Will they never learn their place?

I think of this when ever I hear the term "White women"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=493pL_Vbtnc

I think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yuFy_qjolU :D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yeah, I'm sure the fact he was gay had nothing to do with him calling off his wedding with a woman. :D

Not the point I was trying to make, but thanks for playing.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke