BillyVance

Explosions at the Boston Marathon finish line area today

Reminds me of coworkers at a very large investment house years ago.
REALLY disliked a middle eastern co-worker.
I swear he was dragged into FBI "meetings" for months on end.
Sadly for the coworkers that disliked him, he was never deported.
:S
ass holes.

Another Chechen terrorist act was the 2002 Moscow movie theater hostage-taking. About 130 hostages died in that one.

They're born with the same genes. However, socialization seems to make a difference, doesn't it [:/]

And, ya know -- it could still be a setup, or something else like that -- too much is unknown, and jumping to conclusions early based on limited information is more damaging in this case than in the Incidents forum.

Wendy P.

One of the links from aphid's column leads to another young canadian boxer killed in russia as a jihadist and tells how he went from converting to islam to joining the movement to dead in just over a year. All these people saying they don't believe it just hadn't seen him in a while. One of the traits is that converts withdraw from previous relationships as they surround themselves with similar jihadist followers and orthodoxy...

What makes you so sure about this person you never met? How do you know that the people who knew them hadn't seen them for years? Maybe the news in the USA is playing different stories to those outside of the USA.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

You missed the video of a Chechen soldier slitting a Russian's throat.
[:/]

Maybe you haven't heard about what the Russians did to the Chechen civilians. It was a horror show.

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/icons/russ-atrocities.html

What the Russians did in Chechnya was nothing short of genocide.

Treat people as inhuman and that is what they will become.

hence my statement in another thread

human nature has remained unchanged over the 200 years (or 2 millenia)... so-called 'civilization' is nowhere near as ingrained around the world as liberals like to think it is.

True
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

>Is it just me,or is this smelling like jihad?

It's just you. It's looking more and more like a loser of a kid who went out with a bang.

I'll take some of your drugs for sure. The older brother was out of the country for 6 months last year. You're deluded if you believe this is not part of jihad...

Again thats speculation on your part, for all you know this was about Chechen separatism or Maralyn Manson fan club, who the hell knows? At this point no one apart from the bombers.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Do you have to have large terrorist organization ties to be an islamic extremist?
Do islamic extremist have to join a terrorist union or something before they can blow something up?
The older brother was investigated by both the US and another undisclosed country for possible extremist connections,right?
They are both muslim aren't they?
The area where they are from is known to have strong islamic extremist presence is it not?
Why would their uncle say that the older brother was becoming hateful,and extremist in his islamic views, if it wasn't true?
They were seen at the crime scene shortly before the explosion,right? The cops caught them with a pressure cooker bomb and grenades right?
It is known that the pressure cooker bomb is popular with islamic extremist,right?
I guess it's possible they might not be islamic extremist,but it's possible to bounce and live as well,very unlikely but possible.

Do you believe a person who hates has to belong to hate groups or can they simply be independent assholes?

For instance, the Unibomber was a white guy who lived in a cabin in the woods of Montana. Did that mean he was part of a white supremacist movement? No.

Wait until facts become available before associating these guys with a group.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Another Chechen terrorist act was the 2002 Moscow movie theater hostage-taking. About 130 hostages died in that one.

They're born with the same genes. However, socialization seems to make a difference, doesn't it [:/]

And, ya know -- it could still be a setup, or something else like that -- too much is unknown, and jumping to conclusions early based on limited information is more damaging in this case than in the Incidents forum.

Wendy P.

One of the links from aphid's column leads to another young canadian boxer killed in russia as a jihadist and tells how he went from converting to islam to joining the movement to dead in just over a year. All these people saying they don't believe it just hadn't seen him in a while. One of the traits is that converts withdraw from previous relationships as they surround themselves with similar jihadist followers and orthodoxy...

What makes you so sure about this person you never met? How do you know that the people who knew them hadn't seen them for years? Maybe the news in the USA is playing different stories to those outside of the USA.

well, let's see. maybe among other things because his uncle said he hadn't seen him since 2005? Some of the others also were talking specifically about when they knew the older brother AT SCHOOL, not since he went back to Russia. And same with the younger brother, many of the people quoted are talking about when he came to parties during high school a couple of years ago...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

the older brother was investigated in 2011 for having links to terrorists.

No, he was investigated because the Russians claimed they thought he might have links to terrorists. From what I've heard/read so far, the FBI found no substantiation for the Russians' claimed suspicion at that time.

See the difference between the way you phrased it and the way I did?

Anyhow, did the Russians really suspect him of that, or were they engaging in tactics to intimidate not only him, but the Chechen diaspora community beyond the reach of their jurisdiction? After all, polonium micro-pellets don't come cheap; you can't use them on every seditious troublemaker on foreign soil, just the noisiest ones.

Do you believe a person who hates has to belong to hate groups or can they simply be independent assholes?

For instance, the Unibomber was a white guy who lived in a cabin in the woods of Montana. Did that mean he was part of a white supremacist movement? No.

Wait until facts become available before associating these guys with a group.

the facts are available. Look at the guy;s facebook pages...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

the older brother was investigated in 2011 for having links to terrorists.

No, he was investigated because the Russians claimed they thought he might have links to terrorists. From what I've heard/read so far, the FBI found no substantiation for the Russians' claimed suspicion at that time.

See the difference between the way you phrased it and the way I did?

Anyhow, did the Russians really suspect him of that, or were they engaging in tactics to intimidate not only him, but the Chechen diaspora community beyond the reach of their jurisdiction? After all, polonium micro-pellets don't come cheap; you can't use them on every seditious troublemaker on foreign soil, just the noisiest ones.

If the russians wanted to intimidate him, or didn't want him spreading chechen nationalistic philosophy, they either wouldn't have allowed him back into the country, or he never would have gotten out again.

I once knew a guy who loved Rommel. He drove a motorcycle with a sidecar painted with an Arikacorps Korps theme including the insignia. He had a collection of Nazi memorabilia.

That said, he wasn't a Nazi; just kind of an insensitive asshole.
quade -

I once knew a guy who loved Rommel. He drove a motorcycle with a sidecar painted with an Arikacorps Korps theme including the insignia. He had a collection of Nazi memorabilia.

That said, he wasn't a Nazi; just kind of an insensitive asshole.

but you probably thought he was insane and shouldn't be allowed to have guns...?

No. I thought he was an insensitive asshole. I thought I explained that. Look, if for some reason you're not able to follow this as a conversation, I can come back when you're more clear headed.
quade -

You mean shameful.

no, i mean he did a good investigative job with the conclusions he made with the available information. do you honestly think the fbi or anyone else would have come up with these two so quickly on their own? without the widespread information on the internet, we would still be looking. well, maybe not, these two weren't the brightest of bulbs. i do believe that if i were planning a bombing, if it were not a suicide bomb, i would have been out of the country at least a couple of hours later, before anyone knew i did it.

and the truly shameful actions in this ordeal were the media. journalists my ass. they were all in such a hurry to get the scoop and be first to report something that they didn't have time to check the first fact before reporting.

and i am getting so sick of the "unnamed official who has no authority to speak to the media". this means that they should not be talking, so they should not be quoted.
http://kitswv.com

and i am getting so sick of the "unnamed official who has no authority to speak to the media". this means that they should not be talking, so they should not be quoted.

No, in an open, "democratic" society with a free press vital to keeping the public informed, those anonymous sources must exist, they must be cultivated, and they must be quoted. Frankly, that's always been the case ever since mass public issue journalism has existed, and that's been for a very, very long time.

Where I agree with you is where the 24 hour constant news cycle results in the instant quoting of those sources without verification from another source before it's published/broadcast. That clearly results not only in inaccurate information being broadcast, but sometimes (as in Boston) innocent people's lives and reputations being damaged; and that's deplorable. 30 or 40 years ago, prior to 24 hour TV and internet news, news editors in most Western countries would never have permitted that.

So you think DeepThroat should have kept his mouth shut and the public never should have learned about Watergate?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

No, in an open, "democratic" society with a free press vital to keeping the public informed, those anonymous sources must exist, they must be cultivated, and they must be quoted. Frankly, that's always been the case ever since mass public issue journalism has existed, and that's been for a very, very long time.

let's not forget that a large percentage of these are planned "leaks" with orders coming from the top.

>That said,he wasn't a nazi

The guy you are talking about obviously wasn't out blowing people up either.

And just because somebody has something posted to Facebook, doesn't mean he's going to act on it. Even if he does act on it, it doesn't mean he's part of a larger organized group.
quade -

>That said,he wasn't a nazi

The guy you are talking about obviously wasn't out blowing people up either.

And just because somebody has something posted to Facebook, doesn't mean he's going to act on it. Even if he does act on it, it doesn't mean he's part of a larger organized group.

;) Depends on who he is. Had, say, Charles Lindbergh been able to post his speeches in the 1930s in Facebook... yeah, he'd-a been a Nazi.

;) Depends on who he is. Had, say, Charles Lindbergh been able to post his speeches in the 1930s in Facebook... yeah, he'd-a been a Nazi.

Getting off thread here, but no. He'd be an isolationist (America First) and similar to the people today who say America should just hole up and look after itself.
quade -

Getting off thread here, but no. He'd be an isolationist (America First) and similar to the people today who say America should just hole up and look after itself.

Nope, he'd have been a Nazi in all but formal title. Winsor and I recently discussed it Here.