StreetScooby

Budget Cuts Could Pull Navy Out of The War on Drugs

>But what's happening is that the Navy (and several other organizations like the DHS) are saying "yes it's illegal but we just can't afford to go after people."

As they should. The navy should not be in the business of going after the drug trade. IMO, the navy is there to protect us from the real threats to the US. They should be used to protect us from terrorists. They should be used to protect us from nations that want to overthrow our government.

They should not be used to interfere with trade of product that people want to supply to us and we so desperately want. Now if that product is illegal, then it sounds like a law enforcement problem not a national security issue - no matter what the politicians want to say. Drug cartels I'm sure have no interest in overthrowing our government and setting up a new one or killing our population in mass (their customer base). All they are interested in is keeping the money flowing. And like it or not the best (only) way to do that is keeping drugs illegal.

>The way I see it, we have laws. Like them or not, break them and you pay the penalty.

Agreed. But what's happening is that the Navy (and several other organizations like the DHS) are saying "yes it's illegal but we just can't afford to go after people." That will lead eventually to a de facto legality.

Sure will! They'll just flood this country and all the dopers will be in 'high heaven'. I guess, local law enforcement will have to pick-up the government's slack.

Chuck

>The way I see it, we have laws. Like them or not, break them and you pay the penalty.

Agreed. But what's happening is that the Navy (and several other organizations like the DHS) are saying "yes it's illegal but we just can't afford to go after people." That will lead eventually to a de facto legality.

Sure will! They'll just flood this country and all the dopers will be in 'high heaven'. I guess, local law enforcement will have to pick-up the government's slack.

Chuck

The dopers are already in high heaven...and will remain there until they stop doping....regardless of what the legal status of drugs is.

Many places had laws on the books regarding sodomy. Did new sodomites come out of the wood work when the criminal penalties for sodomy were removed?

it will be interesting to see how it shakes out, whether we think the savings are worth it.

Agreed. I'm assuming the CNO (Chief of Naval Operations, which is a really powerful position in the Navy) is involved in these decisions. Just like the decision to leave carriers docked. Very potent statements on their part. If I had to guess, I think he's mad ;)

He may be doing it to make a point, but there's more to it than that.

The Navy gets a budget. Unlike the government, they can't just print more money to overcome shortfalls.
If the CNO is unsure that he is going to have enough money to maintain operations, he may well cut back so that he will be sure that he has enough money to keep the ships at the dock.

There was a lot of this sort of thing in Russia, where the Navy couldn't pay it's power bills for ships tied to the dock, and they very nearly had a couple nuclear accidents because the electricity got shut off.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Budget Cuts Could Pull Navy Out of The War on Drugs

Good. At least that's a start.

Decommission a couple of aircraft battle groups and fighter plane development and get the fuck out of Vietnamistan, and make the citizens of NATO's other countries carry a lot more of the burden of their own national defense and we just might have some real savings.

But instead they'll deprive 19 year old kids of needed equipment to keep themselves alive and parade-out all the civilians working at redundant military bases.

And people will go on blindly accepting all this farce being referred to as "defense". And people will keep on looking under their beds for Commies, oops I mean Libyans, oops I mean Iranians, oops I mean Eye-rackies with WMDs, oops I mean terrorists, oops I mean Chavez, oops he's dead but is he really?

Dunn... Just recently, in Denver, Colo., when word got out that their pot bill was passed, folks stepped out of the beer joints and lit-up!

Chuck

They might have been able to convince one of their "straight" friends to light up with them, but I'll bet dollars to dimes the group you mention was stepping out of the bars and lighting up prior to the new law as well.
:D

Would you or your friends who don't uae drugs start using them just because the legal status changed?

Soon we may see gay marriage legalized. Guess what I'm not doing right after the law passes. ;)

Dunn... Just recently, in Denver, Colo., when word got out that their pot bill was passed, folks stepped out of the beer joints and lit-up!

Chuck

They might have been able to convince one of their "straight" friends to light up with them, but I'll bet dollars to dimes the group you mention was stepping out of the bars and lighting up prior to the new law as well.
:D

Would you or your friends who don't uae drugs start using them just because the legal status changed?

Soon we may see gay marriage legalized. Guess what I'm not doing right after the law passes. ;)

No and no to both your questions!! :D:D:D

Chuck

The way I see it, we have laws. Like them or not, break them and you pay the penalty. I will admit, someone going to prison for posession of one joint doesn't make sense but it is what it is.

Chuck

The question is whether it makes financial sense for this country to continue to fight a drug war that is extremely expensive and utterly futile. My argument is that it does not make sense. Shrugging your shoulders and saying "it is what it is" doesn't really respond to that argument. Read the article I cited and explain why you think the war on drugs is worth the cost. I'd be happy to hear your arguments.

The way I see it, we have laws. Like them or not, break them and you pay the penalty. I will admit, someone going to prison for posession of one joint doesn't make sense but it is what it is.

Chuck

The question is whether it makes financial sense for this country to continue to fight a drug war that is extremely expensive and utterly futile. My argument is that it does not make sense. Shrugging your shoulders and saying "it is what it is" doesn't really respond to that argument. Read the article I cited and explain why you think the war on drugs is worth the cost. I'd be happy to hear your arguments.

I've though for a long time that the 'war on drugs' is a joke. That opinion was strengthened by things my wife told me during her time as a law enforcement officer (investigator) and five years 'on loan' to DEA. I've even wondered if maybe, some politicians and the like might be 'on the take' from the cartels. I feel too, we've been pussy-footin' in regard to it. If, they are serious, they need to get down and dirty or forget it. There's also a lot of ridiculous and wasteful spending involved, too.

Chuck

The question is whether it makes financial sense for this country to continue to fight a drug war that is extremely expensive and utterly futile. My argument is that it does not make sense.

The only counter-valance to that would be that there is such a substantial chunk of the economy (employment of LEOs, prosecutors, court personnel, defense attys, industries servicing those sectors, etc.) that is directly and tangentially connected to it. Not that that wins the day, but it's there.

The question is whether it makes financial sense for this country to continue to fight a drug war that is extremely expensive and utterly futile. My argument is that it does not make sense.

The only counter-valance to that would be that there is such a substantial chunk of the economy (employment of LEOs, prosecutors, court personnel, defense attys, industries servicing those sectors, etc.) that is directly and tangentially connected to it. Not that that wins the day, but it's there.

No question this is accurate. I'd hate to think this is any part of the motivation for the continued war on drugs, but it may well be.

Many would. There are different types of people. The first group uses drugs despite their illegality. The second fears the consequences of getting caught doing something illegal and refrain from doing drugs because of that. The third group wouldn't do drugs even if they were legal.

It's the folks in that second group that behave differently if drugs were legalized. Many who refrained before would start experimenting. And some of those experimenters would end up hooked, much to their, and society's, detriment.

What about the for-profit prisons?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Ending the war on drugs would save us a lot of money, and free up prison cells for those who unlawfully harm others.

If it grows out of the ground, and is used in that form, can God be wrong?

:| Is that what they mean by a "meth plant?"