regulator

The Cuomo Mag

Gun owners who can't buy high capacity ammo clips because of new laws have another option: Print them.

Gun control measures passed or proposed in the wake of the Sandy Hook school massacre have targeted clips that can feed 30 rounds or more into the firing chambers of AR-15s and other semi-automatic guns. New York has banned clips holding more than seven rounds, and a federal bill proposed by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., would ban clips holding more than 10 rounds.

But the laws are at least one step behind technology. Using 3D printers and schematics available on the Internet, gun owners can manufacture a fully functional, plastic magazine clip. Plans are free, although getting access to a 3D printer may prove expensive, at least for now.

“If you can download it, you can have it,” said University of Texas law student Cody Wilson, who is part of Defense Distributed, a group that has created the design for what they refer to as a “Cuomo Clip” along with other gun parts. It is all under an initiative they refer to as the Wiki Weapon Project.

“It’s basically to head them [legislators] off at the pass, which we have,” Wilson added, noting that “hundreds of thousands” of visitors have gone to his group's site to download the CAD file for the ammo clip since it was first posted in mid-January.

The “Cuomo Clip,” named for New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who pushed the high-capacity clip ban through the Legislature, is made from a plastic filament similar to the type of material used to manufacture LEGO building blocks. It is also loaded with a large spring that helps to push rounds of ammo into the gun chamber.

The ammo clip appears to be durable; Defense Distributed test-fired 86 rounds from a 30-round prototype last month, and the clip showed no signs of damage.

The cutting edge technology, in which three-dimensional objects can be manufactured from melted plastic thread, is likely to complicate efforts to control firearms. No such ability existed in 1994, when large-capacity clips were first banned in an initial federal assault weapons ban that lasted a decade.

Although the new ban proposed by Feinstein would prohibit the manufacture of clips, it focuses on traditional arms makers and sellers. How the law might be enforced against individuals making their own clips -- and possibly even guns in the future -- is unclear.

Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y., has called for amending the Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988, which initially sought to ban guns that could be sneaked through metal detectors, to include a ban on “homemade, 3-D printed, plastic high-capacity magazines."

“Congress passed a law banning plastic guns for two decades when they were just a movie fantasy," Israel told FoxNews.com. "With the advent of 3-D printers, these guns are suddenly a real possibility, and the law Congress passed is set to expire this year.

“We should act now to give law enforcement authorities the power to stop the development of these weapons before terrorists and criminals can easily bring them on planes. We need to be proactive and keep ahead of the technology. When the legislation was originally passed in 1988, no one would have imagined that parts of a gun and a magazine could be made with a printer — imagine what the technology will be even five years down the road.”

Defense Distributed and the Wiki Weapons Project also has made schematics of other parts of the AR-15 and other weapons and modifications, including pistol grips, but has avoided attempting to design and distribute plans for a fully-functional gun.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/02/13/print-draw-fire-3d-printing-could-muzzle-new-gun-laws/

They would most likely still be illegal in Ca, even if they were printed instead of bought.
I can't find the article, but a guy recently lost his appeal for building a banned AR-15. Then again, the stupid fool offered the gun to the cops when they asked him if he had any guns on the premises.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

But even though its made of plastic doesnt the spring still have to be metal?

Yes, but that's just a matter of bending a piece of spring steel wire in a rectangular spiral. I think many people are going to be capable of doing that.

Even without a plastic printer, magazines are just stamped sheet metal, spot welded together. Anyone with a machine shop could make one. It's like trying to ban paint scrapers...

They would most likely still be illegal in Ca, even if they were printed instead of bought.
I can't find the article, but a guy recently lost his appeal for building a banned AR-15. Then again, the stupid fool offered the gun to the cops when they asked him if he had any guns on the premises.

Not familiar with the story. Sounds like the guy was trying to operate within the law and cooperated with authorities. Seems to have gone well for him...
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Just as many firearms owners have been motivated by fear of a gun ban, some people have set their hair on fire regarding invisible firearms.

I was the first cop in my department to carry the 'invisible' Glock 17. Soon after I started carrying it, an X-Ray tech at the ER asked to take an X-Ray of it. It was so clearly a Glock 17 with high cap and filled magazine that it was laughable.

Physics make it very difficult to have a truly invisible firearm. The projectile requires mass and the ability to withstand great pressure without disintegrating. The barrel needs to be able to resist great pressure without distorting or breaking. Some parts of the weapon can be made of polymers...some can't. That may change one day, but it is not today.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Just as many firearms owners have been motivated by fear of a gun ban, some people have set their hair on fire regarding invisible firearms.

I was the first cop in my department to carry the 'invisible' Glock 17. Soon after I started carrying it, an X-Ray tech at the ER asked to take an X-Ray of it. It was so clearly a Glock 17 with high cap and filled magazine that it was laughable.

Physics make it very difficult to have a truly invisible firearm. The projectile requires mass and the ability to withstand great pressure without disintegrating. The barrel needs to be able to resist great pressure without distorting or breaking. Some parts of the weapon can be made of polymers...some can't. That may change one day, but it is not today.

Glock made a fortune on the hype that the gun was undetectable via xray. Glock couldn't have asked for better promotion that came free to him.

Excellent point. Follow the money. It often leads to the truth. Funny, since so much deception revolves around money.

Scotty made transparent aluminum to fabricate the whale tank. Just a matter of time.

Hellooooo? It was still aluminum. It would have shown up on an X-Ray or metal detector.

Silly shark.

Would not have. You just have no understanding of 24th Century technology.

Anyhooo, I have to laugh that this is Fox "News" and they're calling a magazine a "clip". How many times (before he became a sock puppet) did JohnR correct gun whuffos on this? Oh the irony.

Well, technically, he was right. A clip is a device used to load a magazine. But they are quite rare now and the use of the term has evolved.

I see why you find it amusing that Fox would misuse it, but they don't all have to be packing because they work for Fox, do they? I don't expect all the CNN anchors are lighting up doobies between segments...just a few of them, really. :D

Excellent point. Follow the money. It often leads to the truth. Funny, since so much deception revolves around money.

In fact, Glock has been pretty crafty regarding public opinion rules etc. He did a buy back program with a police department, then as public didn't want glocks, turned around and claimed police department was involved in a business selling glocks, as the used ones turned in needed sold. Plus Glock made a fortune on the trades.

Glock will probably survive any ban on high cap mags.

Not familiar with the story. Sounds like the guy was trying to operate within the law and cooperated with authorities. Seems to have gone well for him...

One of the hardest things for me to learn growing up.

Mom used to say it every time I was confused when I got into trouble after doing what someone said.

"You have to follow the spirit of the law, not the letter"

If Ar-15 buying is banned, they probably don't want you making them either. But I understand being sad when following the letter of the law doesn't work out for you. I felt that many times between 6-18.

Actually, I seem to remember the guy had a prior and wasn't supposed to own a gun in the first place. His argument for appeal was that he only had gun "parts" as the gun wasn't assembled yet.

Found the article, Mr Darwin Candidate was trying to build an AK47

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/6-year-sentence-for-do-it-yourself-AK-47-4211555.php
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1