quade

Tell me again how being armed will save you from a mentally unstable person with a gun?

You equate college degrees to smart?:D

He showed a correlation between the percentage of people with college degrees in a state in one age group with that state voting democrat or republican. Kind of a non-sequitur given it was in response to a complaint about how uninformed voters were.

It's not late-breaking news that young college graduates gravitate towards places with higher population densities for their first jobs, and that people in higher-density areas vote liberally because there are more "liberal issues" in their face day-to-day (homelessness, diversity, access to healthcare, education, crime/violence)

But all that means is they are probably going to vote for the candidates who say they care or are focused on that set of issues. I would be cautious about claiming that simply knowing what a candidate said he or she cares about during their campaign makes you an informed voter. That's setting the bar awfully low. I think people naturally overestimate the altruism of politicians with whom they share the most concerns.

You would think. But then, one day, he explained how he came to the belief that sea creatures felt love for one another, so he stopped eating seafood.

Explain that one to me.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Astronomy? Actually criticized people for having religious beliefs. This was deep in the heart of the Bible Belt.

Hm. A Ph.D. mathemetician actually skeptical of something lacking empirical scientific proof. Shocking.

Unless those people were pushing their beliefs, or bring the point up for debate, said professor would just be a huge douche.

There is a fine line between being enlightened, and being an ignoramus.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Astronomy? Actually criticized people for having religious beliefs. This was deep in the heart of the Bible Belt.

Hm. A Ph.D. mathemetician actually skeptical of something lacking empirical scientific proof. Shocking.

Unless those people were pushing their beliefs, or bring the point up for debate, said professor would just be a huge douche.

There is a fine line between being enlightened, and being an ignoramus.

We're all douches. Like would be utterly boring without it.

You would think. But then, one day, he explained how he came to the belief that sea creatures felt love for one another, so he stopped eating seafood.

Explain that one to me.

Here you go.

That was too easy.

Isn't it a bit early to be drunk? lol

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I tend to think life would still be rather exciting without needed to shit on other peoples beliefs.

Does people believing in god for what ever reason, make the said Professor's mathematics any less challenging or interesting to him.

People like that aren't interesting, chances are if they are all ways shitting on other people, then they are probably pieces of shit!
=P

Back to the topic:

"Tell me again how being armed will save you from a mentally unstable person with a gun?"

Guns have magical properties. They make women much more sexy. Just check out the action characters played by Angelina Jolie, Kate Beckinsale and such. Those women are just hideous until they strap on a hip holster. Guns also make men much more manly. We take on superhuman strength, speed, and martial arts abilities with no training. Penis gets bigger, too. In the case of crazies with guns, we become nearly precognizant. We sense the person before they even know their own plan. In the cited case, the poor guy had put his gun down and moved too far away from it for it to embue him with these powers. Proof that every law abiding citizen should carry a loaded weapon at all times. The Founding Fathers knew all of this. That's why they put the second amendment in the US Constitution.

Next question.

I tend to think life would still be rather exciting without needed to shit on other peoples beliefs.

Does people believing in god for what ever reason, make the said Professor's mathematics any more challenging or interesting to him.

People like that aren't interesting, chances are if they are all ways shitting on other people, then they are probably pieces of shit!

Sorry to Dave for pressing the thread-drift further, but... since we weren't in the classroom to observe the full context for ourselves, I'm thinking it's quite possible, and quite natural, that a course devoted to cosmology would prompt discussions about the origins of the cosmos, so.... well, you see. Anyhow, what more logical place to get into a debate than a college classroom? And who knows who said what first, and who had an attitude about whom? And it could very well be a matter of perception: one man's "teaching about the scientific method" is another man's "belittling religion." Too bad there's no videotape.

Or maybe everyone in the room was a douche.

Yeah. That's reasonable. It's just not what happened. He didn't tolerate debate. He just had a stray thought while lecturing one day and started talking about how anyone who believed in god was an idiot.

Yeah. That's reasonable. It's just not what happened. He didn't tolerate debate. He just had a stray thought while lecturing one day and started talking about how anyone who believed in god was an idiot.

OK so we confirmed he was a douche. I guess now other douche's will flock to his defense to explain his douchery. ;)
=P

This was a fast search using BING

31,177 shooting deaths total
19,700 suicides
607 police shootings
59 police officers shot
680 accidental shootings (2008)

10,131 Total after subtractions

I couldn’t find any numbers that made sense on gang on gang killings – thugs killing thugs – but it would seem from what I did find that would be well over 1,000 nationwide. Is that an acceptable number? I don’t know.

But we lose:

25,000 people to drinking and driving
19,565 to slip and fall accidents
+43,000 car accidents (total)

NO this does not mean we should ignore gun deaths – certainly 680 people getting killed a year accidentally is terrible.

But at some point you accept that a right has a risk. (The right to bear arms) that sensationalism is alive and well on the right and the left – and the press.

That common sense changes (IMO complete back ground checks and a national data base of people that can’t have guns) at best will save very few people compared to getting the drunks off the road.

PLEASE spare me that "how would you feel if your child was one of the 10,000 or thugs have mothers to. My post primarily is to show that there are so many other issues that also need attention. That the passion here on both sides can be extreme.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Poor, poor, poor logic. No indication what the cause and effect is. However, anecdotal evidence indicates: universities turn out a more liberal population. I recall my university professors. They were pushing a liberal agenda.

Yes we really push that liberal version of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, computer science...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well over 100,000 people die every year directly from acute medical mistakes in the US.
This does not include the bigger number of people who have their quality of life, and life expectancy reduced by medical mistakes.
How many mistakes are made in regard to mental and emotionally ill people?
They seem to be in the heat of the debate.

If some nut opens fire on you and others, and you have no firearm to fight back,then you are a sitting duck.
Even if you do have a firearm,the nut has the advantage for sure,but just because he shoots you,even repeatedly,it does not mean you are automatically killed or even left helpless.
You may still have a chance if you can shoot your weapon.
There are many,many,many examples of humans being shot with everything from 12 gauge shot guns to full auto machine guns,who not only survived being shot,but were actually able to shoot and kill the person or persons who shot them first.
This has happened in war,in law enforcement,in self defense.
Guns have a high level of lethality for sure,but they are not even close to 100% lethal,or even gauranteed to stop an attack if the threat is determined.
Hell recently that goergia woman shot that guy FIVE times in the face at point blank and he was still able run down to his car and drive off,and he is still alive!
This is how a gun might save you from a nut on a shooting spree.
Since this was your original question when you started the thread.

I imagine it must be very frustrating to be a highly degreed expert in, and educator of, the hard sciences in the Bible Belt. Not as frustrating as, say, in Afghanistan or Pakistan, but that's about the level of comparison. As Mr. Scopes found out 100 years ago, it can very... trying. Sounds like the guy just let it build up inside him til he exploded. Good thing he wasn't armed.

Car safety and drunk driving doesn't sell advertising slots on the nightly news.

Interestingly enough, douches often do.

Are you saying that douches buy up advertising slots?

I think you are on to something here. Every time I turn on my TV it is some advertisement for some ambulance chasing law firm, or some commercial for Liberator Medical.

Just what I need blood suckers, and soft touch catheters.

Maybe that is why they are so hard on the gun control slant. Coverage on safe driving would cut into their ambulance chaser ad revenue???

;)
=P

Car safety and drunk driving doesn't sell advertising slots on the nightly news.

Or cause anyone here a moment to pause and think about out of hand this debate has gotten :P

BTW Zimmerman which at one time was the rage here.....nothing. In a month dz.com 15-20 posters will be screaming about something else. :S
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I imagine it must be very frustrating to be a highly degreed expert in, and educator of, the hard sciences in the Bible Belt. Not as frustrating as, say, in Afghanistan or Pakistan, but that's about the level of comparison. As Mr. Scopes found out 100 years ago, it can very... trying. Sounds like the guy just let it build up inside him til he exploded. Good thing he wasn't armed.

I keep seeing the occasional posts that actually contain some info or comment to the original post, but mostly I just keep seeing posts trying to distract from that. Keep your drivel for the liberals that don't know any better.

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

I keep seeing the occasional posts that actually contain some info or comment to the original post, but mostly I just keep seeing posts trying to distract from that. Keep your drivel for the liberals that don't know any better.

All liberals know better. Any random twit can get in a cheap bash. When you have something interesting to say, let us know.

Every time I turn on my TV it is some advertisement for some ambulance chasing law firm, or some commercial for Liberator Medical.

;)

Does your TV have an "OFF" switch? Mine does. I don't think it cost extra.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.