OHCHUTE

Did Cornell University end its shooting program?

A friend of mine is a former campus police officer, on a couple of different college campuses. He said that the vast majority of calls involved either drunk, or naked, or both.

Since naked doesn't really lend itself to guns :P, drunk would be the other option.

Wendy P.

One of our frats has just been placed on suspension for alcohol related problems and irresponsible immature behavior. I don't think adding guns to the mix would be a smart thing to do.

Frats get drunk at frat houses.

Guns for sporting classes and club sports get used at controlled designated areas and are then locked down.

Sorry but that is just a asinine argument.

I don't see you rallying against taking away all student transportation and motor vehicles, student owned or otherwise, because there are drunks on campus.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

A friend of mine is a former campus police officer, on a couple of different college campuses. He said that the vast majority of calls involved either drunk, or naked, or both.

Since naked doesn't really lend itself to guns :P, drunk would be the other option.

Wendy P.

One of our frats has just been placed on suspension for alcohol related problems and irresponsible immature behavior. I don't think adding guns to the mix would be a smart thing to do.

Frats get drunk at frat houses.

Guns for sporting classes and club sports get used at controlled designated areas and are then locked down.

Sorry but that is just a asinine argument.

I don't see you rallying against taking away all student transportation and motor vehicles, student owned or otherwise, because there are drunks on campus.

You missed the context: he was responding to Wendy, who was responding to me; I was supportive of instructor-controlled collegiate shooting, but understanding of colleges' choosing to prohibit students (overwhelmingly between ages 18-22) from having guns in campus housing.

You missed the context: he was responding to Wendy, who was responding to me; I was supportive of instructor-controlled collegiate shooting, but understanding of colleges' choosing to prohibit students (overwhelmingly between ages 18-22) from having guns in campus housing.

Apparently so, I must have missed the point in the conversation when OHCHUTES original post about competitive collegiate shooting, and collegiate shooting only, got completely derailed and turned into the same old speakers corner gun argument.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Not sure why ENMU dropped the program, but I'll see if I can find out. ENMU seems to be a VERY liberal institution, so I've always suspected their motives. Honestly, I don't know how they stay in business in this part of the country with such a liberal slant. One of the mysteries of life, I suppose.

"Magic bullet"! :ph34r:

My school dropped its basketball program two years ago. Stuff happens, no tinfoil hat needed to explain school athletics programs.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Not intended to say anything other than the university doesn't match up with the local population.

So perhaps the college simply thought its program was redundant, given the local environment and opportunities. ALL college sports programs except football and basketball are money losers.

Lots of tinfoil hatters around here nowadays.

Apparently so, I must have missed the point in the conversation when OHCHUTES original post about competitive collegiate shooting, and collegiate shooting only, got completely derailed and turned into the same old speakers corner gun argument.

Was it the bit where OHCHUTES original post contained a link to an article that had nothing to do with competitive collegiate shooting but talked about normal gun ownership by students on university property instead? Y'know, the bit that was pointed out by Andy in the second post in the thread? The bit that was pointed out again 8 posts later? You missed all of those?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

ENMU seems to be a VERY liberal institution, so I've always suspected their motives.

Standard gratuitous, sound-byte brush-off of all college-level academia. Anyhow, I look forward to your solid information.

I have searched for a good while today, and can't find anything about it. The NCAA page for ENMU formerly had a shooting team listed, as shown in cached pages, but the current one does not. Honestly, the thing that bothered me most wasn't the loss of the shooting team at ENMU, it was the suddenness they went about it, and the total lack of any venue for discussion. It was presented as a "done deal". About 2/3 through one semester, the announcement was made that the team would not exist the next semester. I spoke to several students that were on shooting scholarships, and they were really in an awful position, trying to find another school to get a shooting scholarship from, on such short notice.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

Not intended to say anything other than the university doesn't match up with the local population.

So perhaps the college simply thought its program was redundant, given the local environment and opportunities. ALL college sports programs except football and basketball are money losers.

Lots of tinfoil hatters around here nowadays.

You may be right about why ENMU dropped its shooting program, but I'm not too sure about your tinfoil hat statement. MY hats are all made of straw or beaver fur.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

NEW INFORMATION:

I am told by people at the Cornell athletics dept that once the classes fill up they remove the pictures. They had a lot of pics showing students holding competitive rifles and pistols the reason I thought the program might have ended. Especially after seeing the article above.

Classes are now filled: Hoorah for students wanting to compete with rifles and pistols. Horrah you need be a US Citizen to participate in shooting sports at Cornell. Hoorah for Cornell to even offer this to students who want to participate.

http://pe.cornell.edu/physed/targetsports-s13.html

And hoorah for the internet and the 24-hour-news mentality, which has to have an answer NOW, and then discuss.

Let's move on to the Incidents forum, shall we?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And hoorah for the internet and the 24-hour-news mentality, which has to have an answer NOW, and then discuss.

Wendy P.

Isn't the internet great! Also talking to people outside of what is learned on the internet is also good. Who would have known why the info was removed if questions of people were not asked.

Wendy P.

Isn't the internet great! Also talking to people outside of what is learned on the internet is also good. Who would have known why the info was removed if questions of people were not asked.

Why is it so important that you know why a private organization changes its web site?

You've been asked 3 times now, and obviously just refuse to answer: why are you afraid to tell us what your interest was in Cornell in particular, its website, and its shooting program?

Some classified secret? Black ops? Just plain fear?

You have nothing to fear but fear itself.

You've been asked 3 times now, and obviously just refuse to answer: why are you afraid to tell us what your interest was in Cornell in particular, its website, and its shooting program?

Some classified secret? Black ops? Just plain fear?

Last week I was going to post the link showing young university students participating in a sport. When I looked again the pictures were gone which invited inquire as to what happened to the information. As we learned as classes fill up they take off the information.

As simple as that. Maybe we should start a thread depicting people enjoying competitive shooting hobby.

Here is one: The participants are considered ATHLETES

http://www.usashooting.org/news/2013/1/8/333-usa-shooting-recognizes-sports-best-as-2012-athletes-of-the-year

By their own organisation. Which at the very least puts them alongside the majestic physical specimens who participate in sports such as darts, and snooker.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

By their own organisation. Which at the very least puts them alongside the majestic physical specimens who participate in sports such as darts, and snooker.

I'm sure you'd do just fine skiing mile and then trying shoot a .22
It's athletic ability to hold a rifle up. Prone is even more demanding.

I'm sure you'd do just fine skiing mile and then trying shoot a .22
It's athletic ability to hold a rifle up. Prone is even more demanding.

He's not talking about a biathlon.
It takes athletic ability to hold a cue. Behind your back is even more demanding.

Don't forget tiddlywinks.