OHCHUTE

Does wine suck?

Really. IT've been drinking beer, wine and distilled spirits for decades. Now I appreciate a fine glass of wine and for the mlost part the best wine I've had taste mosly like water. Now what I hate most about wine is the hangover. GOD the head ache. Vodca does not cause any after effects. So why drink wine?

Vodca does not cause any after effects.

Neither does a decent wine, even if you drink a lot of it. It's also a good idea to eat plenty of food to ensure that you don't have a hangover the next day.

So why drink wine?

Because it's better than beer.

[runs and hides]

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Really. IT've been drinking beer, wine and distilled spirits for decades. Now I appreciate a fine glass of wine and for the mlost part the best wine I've had taste mosly like water. Now what I hate most about wine is the hangover. GOD the head ache. Vodca does not cause any after effects. So why drink wine?

Sounds like you're drinking American wine. :D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Really. IT've been drinking beer, wine and distilled spirits for decades. Now I appreciate a fine glass of wine and for the mlost part the best wine I've had taste mosly like water.

If that's the case, then your brain is probably just hard-wired not to like the taste of wine. Simple as that. I, for example, hate the taste of butterscotch. Blech!

I like red wine, but hate (hate!!) the taste of most white wines, and that includes Champagne. To me, it's like drinking balsamic vinegar straight from the bottle. People don't understand why I pass on a glass of good Champagne. Well, because it makes me wanna barf, thank you.

Wine is very much like art. Most people don't know enough to say why its good or bad, they just know if they like it or not.

Personal taste comes in to play, as well as previous turn-offs and if you don't like the smell or taste of a particular wine, because it smells like a bad memory, there is nobody out there who is going to change your mind about it.

It's like coming into someone's living room and seeing a painting hanging over the couch; either you like it or not. You might have liked it in the gallery as a stand-alone painting, but put it in a living space, and then not so much. Some wines are like that as well. Can it be drunk by itself or does it need some food to show its full potential? Is it the right food? You can ruin a perfectly good wine, if you serve it with the wrong thing. [:/]

eta: The good news is that both things can be learned fairly easily. That will generally result in greater enjoyment.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Wine is very much like art. Most people don't know enough to say why its good or bad, they just know if they like it or not.

Personal taste comes in to play, as well as previous turn-offs and if you don't like the smell or taste of a particular wine, because it smells like a bad memory, there is nobody out there who is going to change your mind about it.

It's like coming into someone's living room and seeing a painting hanging over the couch; either you like it or not. You might have liked it in the gallery as a stand-alone painting, but put it in a living space, and then not so much. Some wines are like that as well. Can it be drunk by itself or does it need some food to show its full potential? Is it the right food? You can ruin a perfectly good wine, if you serve it with the wrong thing. [:/]

eta: The good news is that both things can be learned fairly easily. That will generally result in greater enjoyment.

When we use to drink a lot of wine we always had fun talking the wine language. Like, tounge, nose, bark etc.... and ascerting adjectives in an attempt to describe the experience. I suppose I just never developed a taste for wine. After the second class, they all taste the same sort of thing. But the best wines still taste like water IMHO. Regretably I can't see the expense in drinking more expensive wines. I"m not the 2 pea and one tablespoon of meat type of guy either that I need appreciate the experience of finely brosted vegatable.

The last time I tasted it (or anything else containing alcohol), Reagan was in office, so my recollection is far from current. However, I do not think I was ever convinced that the appeal of alcoholic beverages was the taste.

Admittedly, Courvoisier VSOP is preferable to Akvavit - but that is not saying much. Similarly, Pilsner Urquell has it all over Milwaukee's Best, and Château Neuf de Pape has the edge over MD 20/20, but none of it would have much to recommend it absent the ethanol.

Any kind of EtOH beverage can result in a hangover, but wine does have the capacity for a full-blown death-warmed-over state with great hang time.

Perhaps moderation would serve to avoid that state - I would not know.

The last time I tasted it (or anything else containing alcohol), Reagan was in office, so my recollection is far from current. However, I do not think I was ever convinced that the appeal of alcoholic beverages was the taste.

Admittedly, Courvoisier VSOP is preferable to Akvavit - but that is not saying much. Similarly, Pilsner Urquell has it all over Milwaukee's Best, and Château Neuf de Pape has the edge over MD 20/20, but none of it would have much to recommend it absent the ethanol.

Any kind of EtOH beverage can result in a hangover, but wine does have the capacity for a full-blown death-warmed-over state with great hang time.

Perhaps moderation would serve to avoid that state - I would not know.

I totally agree with you. Most all if it tastes like crap, unless of course if it is masked with fruity stuff like your island drinks while vacationing. Welch's grape juice tastes better than any wine in opinion. Moderation? I don't have a clue what they are putting in wine but before I finish the second glass I'm already working a head ache. Not for me. I think you have the right idea. Besides the stuff is so expensive now I don't see how anyone can afford much drinking.