SkydiveJonathan

Walmart Warehouse Workers Strike

A Wisconsin judge has struck down the state law championed by Gov. Scott Walker that effectively ended collective bargaining rights for most public workers, ruling the law violates both the state and U.S. Constitution and is null and void.

which is interesting an all, but has fuck all to do with the thread. Like Occupy, you can't keep your attention on a single issue for more than a few minutes.

A Wisconsin judge has struck down the state law championed by Gov. Scott Walker that effectively ended collective bargaining rights for most public workers, ruling the law violates both the state and U.S. Constitution and is null and void.

And this ruling will be overturn in Fed court
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

On August 22nd, for instance, a foreclosure on Kim Mitchell’s house in a low-income part of San Francisco was prevented by a coalition made up of Occupy Bernal and Occupy Noe Valley (two San Francisco neighborhoods) along with ACCE, the group that succeeded the Republican-destroyed ACORN. It was a little victory in itself -- and another that such an economically and ethnically diverse group was working together so beautifully. Demonstrations and victories like it are happening regularly across the country, including in Minnesota, thanks to Occupy Homes. Earlier this month, Occupy Wall Street helped Manhattan restaurant workers defeat a lousy boss and a worker lock-out to unionize a restaurant in the Hot and Crusty chain. (While shut out, the employees occupied the sidewalk and ran the Worker Justice Café there.)

And this ruling will be overturn in Fed court

No it won't.

I think, that because the WI State Supreme Court has ruled already that the law is constitutional, it will be overturned
Abraham Lincoln

I think, that because the WI State Supreme Court has ruled already that the law is constitutional, it will be overturned

You do realize there is a court with far more authority above that; right?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You do realize there is a court with far more authority above that; right?

I do

and you do realize the judge that made the ruling last Friday is a lesser court to the WI Supreme Court?
Abraham Lincoln

In 2004, a year in which Wal-Mart reported $9.1 billion in profits, the retailer's California employees collected $86 million in public assistance, according to researchers at the University of California-Berkeley. Other studies have revealed widespread use of publicly funded health care by Wal-Mart employees in numerous states. In 2004, Democratic staffers of the House education and workforce committee calculated that each 200-employee Wal-Mart store costs taxpayers an average of more than $400,000 a year, based on entitlements ranging from energy-assistance grants to Medicaid to food stamps to WIC—the federal program that provides food to low-income women with children.

In 2004, a year in which Wal-Mart reported $9.1 billion in profits, the retailer's California employees collected $86 million in public assistance, according to researchers at the University of California-Berkeley. Other studies have revealed widespread use of publicly funded health care by Wal-Mart employees in numerous states. In 2004, Democratic staffers of the House education and workforce committee calculated that each 200-employee Wal-Mart store costs taxpayers an average of more than $400,000 a year, based on entitlements ranging from energy-assistance grants to Medicaid to food stamps to WIC—the federal program that provides food to low-income women with children.

so you're saying that public HC and government entitlements support the 1% in a very dramatic way.

I'd agree - again, big government pays off for the very rich and the very poor - at the expense of the middle

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

so you're saying that public HC and government entitlements support the 1% in a very dramatic way.

I'm saying that an increase in the minimum wage will mean less tax expenditure on behalf of the 1%.

well then they should ask for more money if they are not happy. if they dont get it then they should quit. Walmart can pay whatever they want and no one is forced to work there. what am i missing?
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

well then they should ask for more money if they are not happy. if they dont get it then they should quit. Walmart can pay whatever they want and no one is forced to work there. what am i missing?

Unions aren't illegal.

I'm saying that an increase in the minimum wage will mean less tax expenditure on behalf of the 1%.

wrong - 1% doesn't care - like the poor, the 1% doesn't pay much in taxes. That's the middle class that pays.

Why on earth would you pay employees more when the government covers the necessities? WalMart makes more profits, the workers get benefits regardless. Both crowds make money from selling stuff to the middle class, as well as from the taxes on the middle class.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Unions aren't illegal.

rubber hats may be green

(seems a non sequitor is in vogue here?)

So you didn't respond when I asked how a $2000 increase in gross salary ($1/hr hike) results in $2800 in extra spending per minimum wage worker. Help me understand these economics.

firing people who don't perform.

Walmart people earn a healthy profit.

So their employees would be better off if they had a large loss? a company must earn a profit to pay employees.

No, the workers earn the profit. The 1% take the profit.

In the real world and not your dreamed up one, the shareholders earn and take the profit. So that could be anyone who owns the stock. Including Calpers, the cali employee pension fund who is a major shareholder. So are union state employees part of the evil 1% takers? Don't answer, you don't even understand what I'm talking about.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante