headoverheels

Bulletproof vests?

A tactical vest is not a bullet proof vest. A tactical has pockets and load bearing capacity, like pouches for magazines. I always wear one when i hike on short trips, easier than a day pack.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

A tactical vest is not a bullet proof vest. A tactical has pockets and load bearing capacity, like pouches for magazines. I always wear one when i hike on short trips, easier than a day pack.

Sure, the one in his car. The article says bulletproof vests in his home. That was my question.

I know a few that have them and a couple that wear them on a regular or semi regular basis.

A couple that have them keep them by the nightstand. If they have to deal with a home invader in the middle of the night, they want some protection. They've practiced and can put it on in a few seconds. It's not on perfect, but it's in front of the vitals.

I know a taxi driver that wears one when he's driving. I also know a jeweler that wears one in his store. Both have faced armed robberies. (well, the taxi driver didn't exactly face one :P)

Maybe a little extreme, but not too far out.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

They are illegal here although I don't know why. You can own licensed weapons but not a vest.

Not even the Police have them and it is a damn shame. It brought it home when a good friend and local Police Officer was shot in the chest twice recently while investigating a home invasion - unfortunately he later died of his injuries. With gun crime an almost daily occurrence here it would only make sense for them to be issued to security agencies.

I can, however, understand the chain of thought that if a private citizen has one - it could well be used for less scrupulous reasons.

I guess hunting with Dick Cheney would be another practical use.

But would they be much help if you fell out of a tree-stand, which is a much more likely occurrence? :S

Dick Cheney pushes his companions out of trees too? Say it ain't so!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

But would they be much help if you fell out of a tree-stand, which is a much more likely occurrence? :S

You, sir, are an expert at twisting words! :D:D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

You, sir, are an expert at twisting words! :D:D

You should see him tap dance. Gregory Hines would be impressed. :ph34r:

I've had bodyarmor since 1991 for various reasons.

The guy's actions are clearly suspicious in the extreme and I applaud the cop at the theater. Not sure how they got a warrant to search his home, though. Not sure why he thought he needed the extra magazines or what the plethora of knives were for.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

There is something wrong with this guy. Gun goes inside the belt. Putting all of that shit in a bag and carrying it into a movie is asking for trouble. Maybe that's what he was after.

I don't see why body armor is an issue. It's a purely defensive item. I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be appropriate for going to the movies now [:/]

oops didn't notice that part, but you would think if he were up to no good he would have had his body armor on. Not that his actions aren't a tad strange even for redneckville.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

How many have these, and why?

1. It was not a bullet proof vest. It was a tactical vest. I have several tactical vests. Some from my time in the military, some from a project I worked on after the military, some are prototypes for a new version of tactical vest.

2. Why? Well some need them for work, others need them for classes, some just like them.

Some classes actually require you to have LIII body armor.