wayneflorida

Gov. Rick Scott: voter purge lawful, feds are wrong and breaking the law

You're missing my point. I'm not referring to the legal realm, I'm referring to the political realm. In a court of law, your point would prevail. But politics operates mainly in the court of public opinion, and that's all about feelings and perceptions. It's all marketing, like laundry detergent. And in that realm of sound bytes and slogans, a 20-second commercial that says "Scott has his head in the sand playing hypocrite in the lofty towers of the Capitol, while he has no respect for our towns and cities" resonates with a lot more jingle than one that says "Municipalities are governed by their charters and are subordinate to the prerogatives of the state government."

Maybe I am just too logical, it just makes sense to me.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/election-supervisors-say-they-wont-restart-hunt-for-non-us-citizens/1234221

meanwhile, back to the thread....

Election Supervisors will not continue to hunt for 'non-citizens' in the voting roles. It seems the list was defective from the start.

And the experiment has failed. 40 non-citizens out of some 500 so far, wow.

So with that rate going. they might find 216 people out of potential 2700 ineligible to vote.

HOORAY for my tax dollars. With 10.5 million voters in Florida, we improved the accuracy by a whopping 0.0206%

thank you Mr. Scott for that......

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/20/2758871/floridas-welfare-drug-tests-cost.html

He flunked on the drug-testing welfare plan too.....

But we did elect the Medicare Fraud guy to run the State, so we get EXACTLY what we deserve. an idiot at the helm

BFD. I worked in the business as a substance use disorder counselor. It was the name of the game. Psst, it still goes on.

In other words, you don't have a problem with thieves as governors, and willingly support one. This from a supposedly moral and righteous christian.

Keep up with the false christian bullshit. I am sure God has a special place in hell for you and your kind.

Argumentum ad Hominem (Circumstantial) + PA.

"No case - abuse the Plaintiff."

BFD. I worked in the business as a substance use disorder counselor. It was the name of the game. Psst, it still goes on.

In other words, you don't have a problem with thieves as governors, and willingly support one. This from a supposedly moral and righteous christian.

Keep up with the false christian bullshit. I am sure God has a special place in hell for you and your kind.

Argumentum ad Hominem (Circumstantial) + PA.

"No case - abuse the Plaintiff."

Bailiff, whack his pee pee:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

only part of this thread is about voter ID. The larger majority is about spending possibly millions to purge the voter roles of perhaps tens of thousands of people that are eligible to vote, in order to save a hundred or two who are NOT eligible to vote.

I guess then you are OK with showing up at the polls just to find out that your name got purged?

If you want to live in such an ideologically pefect world, well.....good luck.

only part of this thread is about voter ID

And that is the part I am discussing.

The larger majority is about spending possibly millions to purge the voter roles of perhaps tens of thousands of people that are eligible to vote, in order to save a hundred or two who are NOT eligible to vote.

And yet Canada does it and they seem to not have the problems you are talking about. So is Canada evil here?

I guess then you are OK with showing up at the polls just to find out that your name got purged?

Please show anywhere where I said that was OK? You however, have stated that you are ok with illegal votes being cast.

If you want to live in such an ideologically pefect world, well.....good luck.

Yet you still try for 'free' HC for all.

Some things, even difficult things, are worth fighting for.

OMIGOD......you mean some right-wing Americans are actually in FAVOR of something that Canadians do? gag...choke....be still my beating heart!!!!

Part of the problem between our discussions is your (incorrect) beliefs that I fit into some mold that you want me to fit into.

we're not talking about Canada, nor are we talking aboiut HC.

I never said/suggested Canada was evil - you did

I never said/suggested HC was free - you did

Part of the problem between our discussions is your (incorrect) beliefs that I fit into some mold that you want me to fit into.

ditto.

If you want to talk about Voter ID, then let's do that. If you want to bash TK for being TK, then start another thread.

...have stated that you are ok with illegal votes being cast.

i never said that either.....I said it is probably not worth wasting our time to fix a few hundred illegal ballots.

Your 'PERFECT' system of voter ID being required will not fix the problem of a few still getting through unless you actually believe that no one out there has a fake ID.

And it will in fact remove thousands from the voter rolls that are in fact eligible to vote.

So we are trying to fix a problem that probably cannot be fixed.

Maybe I don't know about the "very very big government" that the right-wing is trying to reduce, because policies like this actually require an expansion of government to implement.

Even a lefty like me is not interested in this sort of big government, trying to fix imaginary problems, spending million to do it and all the time complaining about the government, when the government in this case is being driven by the people that are trying to get rid of the government.

sheesh.

we're not talking about Canada, nor are we talking aboiut HC.

We are talking about voter ID and I am using Canada as an example... A lot like you use Canada as an example for Govt HC. What, only you are allowed to use an example?

I never said/suggested Canada was evil - you did

I never said/suggested HC was free - you did

Never said either. I have always said that HC is not free, people on YOUR side have not agreed that it has to be paid for. And if you are not willing to pay for it... then it is free to you.

But that is all just a lame attempt to misdirect from the question I asked... Where is all the voter disenfranchisement in Canada?

ditto.

Ha, you are the one that has assumed time after time that I am religious and walk with the "righties".

I debate your WORDS and POSITIONS.

If you want to talk about Voter ID, then let's do that. If you want to bash TK for being TK, then start another thread.

I am trying... That is why I asked you about voter disenfranchisement in Canada.... Which you, thus far, have ignored.

i never said that either.....I said it is probably not worth wasting our time to fix a few hundred illegal ballots.

So you are OK with not 'wasting' money to stop illegal votes.

And it will in fact remove thousands from the voter rolls that are in fact eligible to vote.

And AGAIN, Canada seems to not have this issue.

Maybe I don't know about the "very very big government" that the right-wing is trying to reduce, because policies like this actually require an expansion of government to implement.

Canada is 'right-wing'???? Cause they have this. And asking for ID is not 'big government'. It is asking for a voter to prove who they are.... Again, you have to have an ID to buy a gun and you seem to be fine with that.

Even a lefty like me is not interested in this sort of big government, trying to fix imaginary problems, spending million to do it and all the time complaining about the government, when the government in this case is being driven by the people that are trying to get rid of the government.

Yet you support the ATF and ID and background checks for buying a gun.

Yet you support the ATF and ID and background checks for buying a gun.

That is a lie.

...people on YOUR side have not agreed that it has to be paid for...

that is a lie

Canada is 'right-wing'????

that is a lie, and I did not say that,

so far you are batting 1000 for making shit up as you go along.

Canada's voting system is far different that the USA, and certainly Florida's. Yes they require ID, no it does not disenfranchise CANADIAN voters, but that is NOT BECAUSE OF ID's.

I expect more people in Canada have ID's, because it is a more heavily regulated country - which Americans despise.

It's apples and oranges why Canadian voters vote versus why US voters vote.

If I stood up and compared Canada to the USA as far as reasons for gun control - you people would eat me alive. How is it then that YOU get to exclusively compare Canada only when it suits your purposes?

The systems are different. The voting is different. The political process is different and the reasons people go to the polls are different.

In florida, we have people that live in swamps, work for cash, drive unlicensed vehicles with unlicensed drivers, live off the radar and do not have ID's. And they still have the right to vote because of this seemingly little-known document called the Constitution.

And if you are going to make that guy go get a drivers license, which he is NOT required to have to be an American, or a passport, which he is NOT required to have as an American, or get some other form of government ID, which he is NOT required to have to be an American, then you ar in fact, depriving him of his civil rights when he goes to vote.

And taking that further - if you are then going to PURGE the roles for fear that some swamp-living-ID-less-people 'might vote', a problem that has YET TO BE EVEN DEMONSTRATED AS A STATISTICALLY VALID PROBLEM, then you are now depriving many valid citizens of their right to vote.

just like SYG, these are piss poor laws, piss-poorly written by idiots in government whose agenda, I ASSURE YOU, is not really trying to make sure non-citizens are not voting. Just like redistricting, campaigning, election rules, choosing procedures, everything is about making sure THEY get elected.

Your faith in government amazes me.

and I debate your WORDS and POSITIONS. ditto

And if you are going to make that guy go get a drivers license, which he is NOT required to have to be an American, or a passport, which he is NOT required to have as an American, or get some other form of government ID, which he is NOT required to have to be an American, then you ar in fact, depriving him of his civil rights when he goes to vote.

Bullshit.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

in your opinion. I notice you did not comment on the rest of my rathe rlong and articulate post, so perhaps then, the rest of it is not actually bullshit, but quite factual.

Nah
Mike is right
Your post is bs

Fact is if you want to do any of those things you need a valid ID

It is also funny how you rate your own post
Abraham Lincoln

Bullshit.

I love it when people resort to finding the most extreme, remote and unproveable example to try and make a weak point and win an argument.

I'm still laughing at the thought of a felon (if he's living under the radar and avoiding paying taxes) living in the swamps in Florida, being attuned enough to politics, that he knows when the elections are, knows who he wants to vote for, but feels disenfranchised because he doesn't have I.D.

Felons go HERE to start restoring rights.

Seems fair enough to me. I have never understood the desire to penalize someone for life for a mistake they have already paid for making.

Jean Valjean was sent to the galleys for 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread. The ruling class of the French Republic that sent him there were known as Republicans.

So that's what Republicans want to do: send people to the galleys for 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread.

That is a lie.

You are on record as saying you are fine with background checks. You are on record for supporting an ID to buy a gun.

that is a lie

People for public HC have made claims that it is and should be 'free'... A quick google will provide you pages of examples.

that is a lie, and I did not say that

When a person adds (?) it means it is a question. So when I write "Canada is 'right-wing'????" It is a question, not a statement.

so far you are batting 1000 for making shit up as you go along

No, you either forgot you said something or are being a weasel and trying to deny you said it. Also, you seem to have forgotten what a question mark is.

Canada's voting system is far different that the USA, and certainly Florida's. Yes they require ID, no it does not disenfranchise CANADIAN voters, but that is NOT BECAUSE OF ID's.

Then asking to see Id JUST LIKE CANADA will not disenfranchise voters. I asked a simple question.... "Does Canada disenfranchise voters by asking for ID?" The answer is NO. Therefore a program like that in the US would also not disenfranchise voters.

It's apples and oranges why Canadian voters vote versus why US voters vote

People don't vote to have a say in who runs the govt in both places? That must be a REALLY strange system in Canada.

If I stood up and compared Canada to the USA as far as reasons for gun control - you people would eat me alive. How is it then that YOU get to exclusively compare Canada only when it suits your purposes?

You are free to use Canada as an example if you wish, others do it all the time.... Like you have tried to compare Canada's HC system to the US. Why is it ONLY OK for Canada to be used as an example when YOU want it to be used?

And they still have the right to vote because of this seemingly little-known document called the Constitution.

Your concern for the US Constitution is touching... too bad you ignore the 2nd. Is this another example of data is only important and examples can only be used when YOU want?

Yet you are fine with REQUIRING him to *register to vote*? I didn't read anything about registration in the Constitution... Maybe you can direct me to that since you seem to know it so well?

Your faith in government amazes me.

This just proves you never actually read anything I write.

You are on record as saying you are fine with background checks. You are on record for supporting an ID to buy a gun.

In this century? Or the last one? I am also far more recently on record as saying I gave up on the gun debate. I am all for issuing guns to children when they start kindergarten and making it mandatory that everyone carries a loaded handgun at all times. The more the merrier, and the sooner that all the gun nuts will start killing each other off. THen we might get some common sense laws about it.

People for public HC have made claims that it is and should be 'free'... A quick google will provide you pages of examples.

The majority of people do not think that, nor have they ever. Hence it is a lie. No one thinks that the 'wars' are free. You assume far too much ignorance from your own people, as ignorant as they may be.

Your concern for the US Constitution is touching... too bad you ignore the 2nd.

re-read my recent posts.

Yet you are fine with REQUIRING him to *register to vote*?

I am not. I also object to the registration process, which then, allows people to set up rules that can EXCLUDE groups of people from voting. wrong.

I believe that ANY citizen has the right to vote. The record of citizens should be maintained by the government, if needed at all, and the burden of proof should not be on the citizen.

Felons, drug dealers, child molesters, I do not care who can vote, if they are citizens, they get to vote. It is far less overhead to maintain an open election than it is to try and maintain a record of who CANNOT vote, and that fact has been demonstrated, especially here in Florida, over and over again. They continue to get it wrong.

Everyone gets to vote, let the chips fall where they may.

Give me valid reason, other than citizenship, that a person should not be allowed to vote in this country.

Everyone gets to vote, let the chips fall where they may.

Give me valid reason, other than citizenship, that a person should not be allowed to vote in this country.

I could agree to this if you could verify that anyone only voted once, which you can not do under this senario

Voter ID's are needed and they are coming

Get used to it
Abraham Lincoln

probably true. I hope that the 'excluded citizens' sue the government for violation of their civil rights and get hundreds of millions of dollars - and that the burden of that gets passed onto the taxpayer, who then decides for themselves that it really was not all worth the effort.

But Americans are pretty apathetic. It seems that it is OK to kill innocent people on the street, it is OK to exclude citizens from voting, it is OK to torture and hold people without trial, and it is OK to let all that go on time and time again.....

probably true. I hope that the 'excluded citizens' sue the government for violation of their civil rights if there are any and get hundreds of millions of dollars - and that the burden of that gets passed onto the taxpayer, who then decides for themselves that it really was not all worth the effort.

But Americans are pretty apathetic. It seems that it is OK to kill innocent people on the street, that is what happens to unarmed inocent people it is OK to exclude citizens from voting, it is OK to torture where did this happen? and hold people without trial, if they are not citzens and are war criminals I agree and it is OK to let all that go on time and time again.....

Let what go?
Abraham Lincoln

In this century? Or the last one? I am also far more recently on record as saying I gave up on the gun debate. I am all for issuing guns to children when they start kindergarten and making it mandatory that everyone carries a loaded handgun at all times. The more the merrier, and the sooner that all the gun nuts will start killing each other off. THen we might get some common sense laws about it.

See, you proved my point with your own ranting. Funny.

The majority of people do not think that, nor have they ever.

Close to 50% do not pay federal taxes.... Hence it is 'free' to them and they know that. To think they are not smart enough to know that is you thinking all Americans are stupid.

re-read my recent posts.

You mean like THIS VERY POST where you said: "the sooner that all the gun nuts will start killing each other off. THen we might get some common sense laws about it."

Hate to break it to you, the 2nd does not say anything close to what you want.

I am not. I also object to the registration process, which then, allows people to set up rules that can EXCLUDE groups of people from voting. wrong.

I believe that ANY citizen has the right to vote. The record of citizens should be maintained by the government

Yet you oppose ANY attempt to keep such a record? Or to make sure that record is correct?

Citizenship is what this purge is/was about. I don't need *another* reason when no other reason is the focus of the purge, this thread, or my concern.