JohnRich

Green Energy versus Endangered Species

News:
Big Solar threatens existence of rare desert tortoise

"The desert tortoise, a threatened species protected by the federal government, is fighting for its existence against the expanding encroachment of Big Solar into its native habitat of the Mojave Desert in California.

"The battle between environmental groups and the fledgling green energy industry has prompted a lawsuit against the government to block the multi-billion dollar Calico Solar Power project, which would cover 4,000 acres of the turtle’s vital habitat..."
Full story: Human Events

If this was a big oil company drilling an oil well, I'm sure the environmentalists would raise bloody hell against it. Will they do the same for a solar energy plant, something that is near and dear to their own hearts? And when there is a conflict between two things that near and dear to them, both green energy and endangered species, which way will they go then?

News:

Big Solar threatens existence of rare desert tortoise

"The desert tortoise, a threatened species protected by the federal government, is fighting for its existence against the expanding encroachment of Big Solar into its native habitat of the Mojave Desert in California.

"The battle between environmental groups and the fledgling green energy industry has prompted a lawsuit against the government to block the multi-billion dollar Calico Solar Power project, which would cover 4,000 acres of the turtle’s vital habitat..."
Full story: Human Events

If this was a big oil company drilling an oil well, I'm sure the environmentalists would raise bloody hell against it. Will they do the same for a solar energy plant, something that is near and dear to their own hearts? And when there is a conflict between two things that near and dear to them, both green energy and endangered species, which way will they go then?

That is an easy one, they will aways go with the anti human option. Turtles over Solar.

This is a pretty old story - at least a year or two old.

I can admit to finding some irony in the battle of green versus green. In one corner, wearing green trunks, is the “Green Energy,” seeking to prevent global warming with renewable energy and save all species of the world from devastation of a changing climate. In the other corner, wearing green trunks, is “Green Species.” Scouting reports indicate that the tortoise ranks up there with furry mammals as a cute and cuddly species that can be a poster animal.

What will happen? These are two groups that aren’t typically used to compromising. Green Energy backers believe that no price is too big to save the earth. On the other side, species activists who think no cost is too high to protect a species. I’ve got a lot of experience here with the latter type and the vast impact of the protection of the Delta Smelt.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

It's green energy. Are the tortoises supposed to be able to coexist with the plant and hump the solar panels or something?:ph34r:

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Well it does bring the need for balance into stark contrast. Personally I have always had a bit of prejudice against desert creatures. Of course there aren't many of them, they live in the freakin' desert. Their habitats tend to be small and isolated. Are desert tortoises threatened worldwide or just this one species that only lives in this one area but is not so differentiated from the next species in the next patch of desert over?

Just out of curiostiy...

Did they do an environmental impact study during the planning process?

If they did, why didn't it identify this as a problem.

If not, WHY DIDN"T THEY?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If you want to build ANYTHING ANYWHERE you have to do an EIR. I don't think the EIR has been completed.

But I think that what the Tortoise Supporters want is for solar panels to be erected in existing urban areas rather than creating a facility on undeveloped land. This, of course, would be exceedingly difficult to negotiate placement, easements, purchases, etc, that would allow the panels to be placed. It's got to be done with each property owner/lessee of land and/or structure.

I don't think this has gone any further than scoping at this point. But I can't be sure.

My wife is hotter than your wife.