rushmc

Obama and His Swiss Banker

What do you all think?

http://freebeacon.com/obamas-swiss-banker/

One of President Obama’s largest financial backers is a key executive at the largest Swiss bank in the world, complicating his criticism of presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney.

Robert Wolf is president of Swiss financial giant UBS Investment Bank and chairman of UBS Americas. He has been one of Obama’s most prolific fundraisers dating back to 2006, when the former Senator from Illinois initiated his run for the White House.

Wolf has bundled more than $500,000 for the president’s reelection, campaign records show. He is but one of many wealthy bankers Obama has turned to in an effort to win a second term.

According to campaign reporter John Heilemann, Obama and Wolf first met in December 2006 in a conference room owned by liberal billionaire George Soros, who is currently embroiled in a domestic dispute with his 31-year-old ex-girlfriend.

It was a match made for the ages, Heilemann argued—the “hope and change” candidate and the sympathetic Wall Street millionaire.

Obama eagerly courted the “A-List New York donor,” who would become the future president’s “most copious cash collector in the city by far,” raising more than $500,000 for his 2008 campaign.

Wolf’s company, UBS, gave an additional $532,000, making it the 15th largest contributor to Obama’s first presidential run.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

One of President Obama’s largest financial backers is a key executive at the largest Swiss bank in the world, complicating his criticism of presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney.

or better known here as hypocrisy
Abraham Lincoln

the criticism wasn't described, making that conclusion more difficult.

the criticism wasn't described, making that conclusion more difficult.

I was more interested in what others, like you, thought of this
Abraham Lincoln

>What do you all think?

I think its pretty normal. A rich Wall Street executive in NYC gives money to a Dem. That is par for the course in my experience. NYC is a liberal stronghold, the suburbs are solid Dem counties and where bankers live. Who does this surprise?
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

or irony, since Rick Perry's son works for UBS, Phil Gramm works for UBS... It seems UBS likes to support powerful American politicians of all stripes.

Perry's son is a 'powerful American politician'?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>What do you all think?

I think its pretty normal. A rich Wall Street executive in NYC gives money to a Dem. That is par for the course in my experience. NYC is a liberal stronghold, the suburbs are solid Dem counties and where bankers live. Who does this surprise?

You really think most wealthy Wall St execs are Dems because Wall St happens to be located in NYC? That's ridiculous to the point of laughable.

>What do you all think?

You really think most wealthy Wall St execs are Dems because Wall St happens to be located in NYC? That's ridiculous to the point of laughable.

i didnt say they were Dem's, i said they give money to Dem's, based on my experience. someone who has worked in banking in NYC for 20years. someone who has lived in Bergen County, solid Dem county for 15 yrs. also, someone who has attended many Dem fundraisers over the years full of guys just like me. Including plenty of fund managers, just like the guy the OP was speaking of.

call me ridiculous all you want. all i can do is explain why i believe what i do. my opinion is based on actual experience working on Wall Street and living in NYC area for most of my adult life.

(edited my post because i missread his. to be clear i think most give money to Dem's which is what i said. including myself. that was my point and i explained why i feel that way)
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

You mean something like this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/25/rick-perry-texas-life-insurance-scheme_n_935666.html?page=1

It's a long article. You have to go all the way to the last paragraph to find a reference to Perry's son.

Where it says "A few years *LATER*", you mean? Seems like they weren't helping the son to benefit the father after all, were they?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I meant the whole sentence, including the part after the word "and":
"A few years later, Perry's 23-year-old son went to work for UBS, and Gramm began urging Perry to let UBS privatize the Texas state lottery."

Then there's this:
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Gov-Rick-Perry-draws-fire-over-son-s-job-1825953.php

But Rick Perry's spokesman says there's no link between these events, so I guess you're right - just a coincidence.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I meant the whole sentence, including the part after the word "and":
"A few years later, Perry's 23-year-old son went to work for UBS, and Gramm began urging Perry to let UBS privatize the Texas state lottery."

And Perry is going to benefit from that *how*, exactly?

Oh, wait - here it is, from your Chron link:

"Money from the sale would be invested to fund three trusts: one for public education, a second for cancer research and a third for health care for as many as 600,000 low-income, uninsured Texans."

Well, *damn* him!!!!

Then there's this:
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Gov-Rick-Perry-draws-fire-over-son-s-job-1825953.php

But Rick Perry's spokesman says there's no link between these events, so I guess you're right - just a coincidence.

Just a coincidence that you bring this up to smokescreen Obama, you mean?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Perry Jr. gets a high paying job, UBS gets all the fees. Both backs are scratched and off we go. Happens all the time in the business world. Not sure I even have that much of a problem with it, it really is human nature.

Perry Jr. gets a high paying job, UBS gets all the fees. Both backs are scratched and off we go. Happens all the time in the business world. Not sure I even have that much of a problem with it, it really is human nature.

And Griffin Perry's job (which had nothing to do with the lottery deal and which he left in order to work on his Dad's campaign, btw) *STILL* doesn't directly benefit his Dad.

Smoke and mirrors.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And Griffin Perry's job (which had nothing to do with the lottery deal and which he left in order to work on his Dad's campaign, btw) *STILL* doesn't directly benefit his Dad.

You don't have kids do you?

For a Dad having a successful son is a source of pride and accomplishment. I would say that is a benefit. Some Dad's see getting their kids of their own "payroll" as a benefit as well.

Stuff like this is done constantly and really not that big a deal, just a simple fact of business life.

You don't have kids do you?

I did - she died shortly after her 18th birthday in an auto accident.

Now - got something ELSE that actually bears on the subject?

For a Dad having a successful son is a source of pride and accomplishment. I would say that is a benefit. Some Dad's see getting their kids of their own "payroll" as a benefit as well.

Stuff like this is done constantly and really not that big a deal, just a simple fact of business life.

So you're claiming UBS gave his son the job to help his dad's self-esteem? That's an even lamer attempt to distract than your norm.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706