oldwomanc6

Full-Time Parents [on topic]

I have huge respect for stay at home parents. It is harder than a full time job

No it's not...i'm so sick of hearing that.

To each their own. In the time period that I lost my job, and my wife was working, I was more worn out at the end of the day staying home with my daughter than when I am working full time.

Ya, I hear ya...I was having my period last night. I just prefer it much more than going to the rat race. I suppose the hardest part is being respected for being a stay at home dad. Doesn't feel right when some snotty bitch comes home asking "where's the fucking dinner?"

...but it IS pretty good fore play.;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

If YOU yourself haven't done it, you have no basis to make your statement from.

I *have* done it, and I agree with the statement.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I have done it...I really don't know what you sissy wives are bitching about.:P

Maybe I'm just better primed mother material than you guys...

I have done it...I really don't know what you sissy wives are bitching about.:P

Maybe I'm just better primed mother material than you guys...

You did it "briefly" and couldn't even make dinner.

I wasn't sure how this was going to play out when I posted this, but I thought more would say that kids were peripheral piffal.

I'm glad to see this is not so.

I was one of the fortunate few who was able to stay "home" and raise my kids. mrowc6 was a very active duty Marine who at times was gone more than he was home. "Home" was a relative term. :S

People still had the temerity to ask me "Aren't you bored? What could you possibly do all day? " (like the kids were in stasis waiting for Dad to get Home, and they didn't need to eat 5 times a day :P and fill in the rest of the things needing doing) ;)

I finally started answering those ignoramus's " I watch soaps and eat bon-bons."

And that was just when they were little. Being home when they were older was even more important. (they got more clever, all kids do :o ).

One other thing that bothered me was The Assumption That Since I Didn't Hold a Paying Job, I Was Able To FILL IN THEIR SLACK. >:( I had to learn to say NO! NO, I can't watch your Sick Kid, No I can't watch your kid when your daycare arrangement falls through(for the 3rd time this month) No I can't watch your fricken kids when you're..... [ fill in the blanks.] [:/]

We gave up a lot of "material" benefits to make sure our kids had an anchor to hold on to. I don't think any of us (mrowc6, two kids, and myself) think it was a bad trade off. :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I guess it's all subjective...I suppose it depends on the perspective of the parent, the behavior of the child, number of children and the type of full time job being compared.

Hi wmw999,

having a parent at home when the kids come home from school is golden,

It has been years ago but I once read that ~80% of all teenage pregnancies occur between 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM.

:o

JerryBaumchen

Ah, yes. The time where teenagers are so totally on their own. I've always thought that high schools should not start so early in the morning as they seem to do most everywhere because:

A. Teenagers aren't "programmed" to get up so early (school starts at a little after 7am here), so they are constantly sleep deprived, probably don't get much if any breakfast, so their mornings are shot as far as learning goes anyway. Try and tell a teen that 9 or 10 pm is time to go to sleep. :S

B. They get out of school early (1:50 pm). Maybe they go home where there is little or no supervision. Maybe they don't. It's no wonder they get into trouble. Not just sex, but other things because no one is there to notice what the heck they are doing, or where they're doing it.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I assume you are talking about sacrificing your job and/or some income to stay at home?

I think it's heroic. Those that will do that are to be commended.

Well thank you Andy, nice of you to say. ;)

I gave up a good position and a very comfortable income at a company I'd been with over 15 years to to be a Mr. Mom when we adopted 3 kids 15 years ago.

The whole thing was thought out and well planned, the decision was logical for me because though my wife and I made about the same income, she LOVES her career and spent much of her life to get to where she's at...I 'liked' my job but never considered it a career or a passion. I wouldn't stand in the way of her dreams.

We went from zero to three kids in a day so there was quite a bit of adjustment that needed to be made on everyone's part. I can't imagine trying to do that without being there 24/7.

We were very fortunate in that with my wife being an airline pilot, although when at work she was out of the country...when she was home it was full time every other week ,which gave me the opportunity to continue demo jumping and working the occasional side job.

The kids are grown now and we're grand parents, my daughter said recently that now she's a mom, she realizes how important it was to her that one of us was there for them every day.

She can't believe I had the patients and energy to take care of three kids and never be 'mean & grumpy' ! :DB|

That being said, both of my parents worked, and it was a positive factor in my opinion because that meant our family had enough money to live comfortably. My parents were hands on and strict, having to do some things for myself unsupervised gave me a sense of responsibility and independence and a fairly young age.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

She can't believe I had the patients and energy to take care of three kids and never be 'mean & grumpy' !

I can...

That's all I can say. These "on topic" threads limit freedom to speak your mind and offer a rabbit trail to different perspectives and the little gems of truth hidden in the chaos...it's like walking on glass.

Not to belittle other stay at home spouses, but a military spouse, particularly at officer level is a fulltime job, especially during deployments.

Added
In a 2 parent household, the standard costs of working should be added to the daycare cost to see if it even makes sense economically.

Too many are probably only breaking even or losing money by being a two income household.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Not to belittle other stay at home spouses, but a military spouse, particularly at officer level is a fulltime job, especially during deployments.

Added
In a 2 parent household, the standard costs of working should be added to the daycare cost to see if it even makes sense economically.

Too many are probably only breaking even or losing money by being a two income household.

Officer spouses are still pressured to support their service member's commands? I remembered this as a O brat in the late 70's early 80's. My mother couldn't persue areas of her personal interest. My mom was a full time parent and also a full time Officer's Wife. Nowadays, spouses tend to have their own careers or are dual military.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Officer spouses are still pressured to support their service member's commands? I remembered this as a O brat in the late 70's early 80's. My mother couldn't persue areas of her personal interest. My mom was a full time parent and also a full time Officer's Wife. Nowadays, spouses tend to have their own careers or are dual military.

Yes. If the officer is single or the spouse is unwilling/unable, the duties (unofficially of course) fall to the next spouse down the chain or back to the officer themselves. :S:(
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

So it's still here.

My wife is a full time parent. This was her decision and we are in a position where it doesn't hurt us financially. But it is a time consuming job and I would hate to think that she would be pressured to participate in things she is not required to. Fortunately, here in the Navy many spouses would jump at that opportunity to help.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

So it's still here

Yes, an officer's wife still has plenty of pressure to "perform". Things have evolved though from a purely social (as in High Society/charitable) function to more of a support the of families, especially those of deployed service members. BUT, there are still plenty of social fluff obligations to fill in a 25 hour day :S

This is especially true the higher the rank (of the service member). There are so many lieutenants' wives to go around that the pressure isn't all that bad, but the colonel's wife or the general's wife is expected to have a hand in everything social in her husband's command. I know of at least one single colonel who was on the fast track to general but he did not get promoted until after he married a woman who was fully capable of doing what was needed on that front.

The funny thing is that husbands' of service members never had the same pressure put on them.

My wife is a full time parent. This was her decision and we are in a position where it doesn't hurt us financially. But it is a time consuming job and I would hate to think that she would be pressured to participate in things she is not required to. Fortunately, here in the Navy many spouses would jump at the opportunity to help.

This can be a tough decision, but so well worth it IMO. Good on you two! :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

When my son was born my wife quit her job to stay home with him. We had been preparing for it by getting our living expenses in line with just my income.
She did supplement her income by caring for a friends child that was born within a month of my son. It helped our single parent friend by having someone she could trust taking care of her kid she got a lot more personal attention than a day care could provide. We got the added income and my son had a playmate to grow up with. Win win all the way around.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!