shah269

I have jobs, but no one wants them

That's why I included my son in the equation. He finished college in December 2007, which counts as pretty recent.

Not everyone can do it, just as not everyone can earn a living wage. But, ya know -- most people can afford to spend a little more effort on balancing what they actually make against what they actually spend, and adjusting.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm only guessing here, but I think Professor Kallend might be sort of aware of the current cost of college tuition. ;)

Perhaps even painfully so.

doubtful based on his last remark. And knowing isn't the same as experiencing.

Fact is, when I was in college no-one had a TV on their room. Or a stereo. Or a phone. Maybe that's why our drop out rate was lower.;)

My last stepkid got out of (private) college last year.

:P:P:P:P:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

BS - Worked two or three part time jobs at once and served in the Army Reserve the first couple of years. Went to work full time as a cop and continued in the Army Reserve the last couple. Paid cash as I went. Used Pell Grant.

MS - Went at night while serving on active duty. Paid cash as I went. Used Army Tuition Assistance.

MS #2 - Same.

JD - Went at night while working in a law office full time and serving in the Army Reserve. Paid cash as I went.

Working on a PhD with GI Bill benefits.

Total debt acquired = none

Paying off the debt my wife acquired before we married and now paying cash for her education + GI Bill benefits.

It can be done. You just have to prioritize education and be willing to do what it takes.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

BS - Worked two or three part time jobs at once and served in the Army Reserve the first couple of years. Went to work full time as a cop and continued in the Army Reserve the last couple. Paid cash as I went. Used Pell Grant.

I worked (part time) as a LEO in college. And we would never have let a suspect claiming a head injury refuse medical examination.

Very LIBERAL of you let taxpayers subsidize your education through the Pell Grant.:P

Fact is, when I was in college no-one had a TV on their room. Or a stereo. Or a phone. Maybe that's why our drop out rate was lower.;)

or just might be that you went to college in a time when being in college kept you away from the draft. Or a time when participation was much lower by women and minorities or those who financially were on the margin?

Even at Cal now, the costs of a phone or a tv are dwarfed by the "not-tuition-but-student-fees" and the cost of living in Berkeley. For someone at Stanfurd or your's, these costs are rounding errors.

or just might be that you went to college in a time when being in college kept you away from the draft.

No draft anyway, in college or not.

I think that he's not offering full-time employment.

At best, he's offering an opportunity when he gets one.

How much off time do those 500 people have in-between jobs?

How does he have the ability to keep those 500 people busy on a regular basis?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I don't post here, please don't yell at me. I am chimming in because this subject came up and I need some real help.

My son is starting college in fall. He is interested in Aeronautical engineering down the road. He went out last summer for a week and toured CU in boulder and was really excited. He came home and we started looking into how to send him there.

We looked into tuition rates and fees and room and board. This site:
http://www.colorado.edu/pba/budget/tuitionfees/tuitfee.HTML#fees
Sorry I don't know how to make a clicky.

I feel awful, I can't afford all this. And the worse part is he would be paying non-resident fees. I called and talked to an administrator and she said to establish residency he would have to:

-live in his own place
-have proof of his name on a lease
-proof of monthly bills being paid by him.
-min. of 12 mos

The part that really made me upset was that he had to have his own bank account and have income from a job that equals the amount he needs to meet his monthly bills AND we could in no way transfer money to him to help him with the bills.

So we tried to figure out if we could create a "trust fund" for him and deposit the money in there.

If he has to get a full-time job to pay the expenses of his own place then he will not have time for classes or studying. Or he could skip school the 1st year and just do the job and establish residency and start the following year.

My sister lives out there and maybe he can live with her but he can't establish residency, his name is not on the morgage.

There is a Jr. college out there with an aviation field, but we are back to non-resident fees. Looking at the room and boarding fees added to tutition is unbelieveably high.

We are leaning towards him going to AIM (Aviation Institute of maintance) doing the A&P/AMTE program there. He will get hid FAA cert. and also recieve his 2 year assco. degree. Then he can get a job in the field of aviation and have 2 years done if he decides to still pursue the engineering part.

We filled out his FASA and he qualifies for nothing. I unfortunatly (well, lol I love him and I am happy but...) I married Mark and our combined income kills any chance of Kyle qualifying for anything real helpful. If I had stayed single it would have been finacially better for him to get grants.

And yes, I AM now married and my finacial situation is better, but Mark is already still paying for his daughters (helping them) college loans, so I need to be the sole provider for my son.

John you know Kyle, he is a hard worker. The kid has been cleaning garbage cans and toilets at the dz for 3 years now and I know he will continue working and helping to pay the expenses, but he can't do it alone.

At AIM once he starts there they set him up employment right away. So he will have a job as soon as he starts school. The classes run mon-thurs and he will work fri-sat. It is not a "college" degree but it gives him a start without going into debt. He will come out in 22 mos with an FAA cert. for A&P/AMTE. He at least will have something to get a decent job and move on from there.

Maybe you think I am a horrible person for not just sending him to CU and brunting the expense but I think the trade school is a good option for him. He has been helping the A&P for 2 summers now work on the planes and while his big interest is in design. The skills he will learn at AIM will be needed when he continues his education into engineering.

Now my biggest problem is that the A&P is trading his help there for AFP classes ever since he did his 1st skydive last weekend :o Not really sure how I feel about that yet! lol
[:/] eek, I guess I should have expected it when he has literally grown up at a dz.

Sorry for the length and ramblings but if anyone can offer me any other information I haven't thought of that would be a great help!

Holly

I don't post here,

Apparently you do now, Holly.:)
There are aero programs in Illinois, and A&P programs at community colleges that will be FAR less expensive than out of state tuition in CO.

I don't post here, please don't yell at me. I am chimming in because this subject came up and I need some real help.

My son is starting college in fall. He is interested in Aeronautical engineering down the road. He went out last summer for a week and toured CU in boulder and was really excited. He came home and we started looking into how to send him there.

I attended CU Boulder in the college of engineering. They were rather serious about making sure non-residents didn't get their tuition subsidized by the tax payers and see through tricks like trust funds and I wouldn't count on any scheme that doesn't involve a whole family relocation to CO or your son actually supporting himself.

My stepson earned his degree there, graduating summa cum laude although he got the first two years done at Front Range Community college (we were Colorado residents at the time) where tuition is substantially lower.

Your son could probably do something similar with community college near you, getting at least the core classes (when I was there it was three semesters of calculus, differential equations, three semesters of a science plus a lab course, and three semesters of English including writing for engineers) and any remedial work (some people who hadn't studied a foreign language long enough in highschool got it out of the way there) out of the way.

Two years of local community college with no rent + 2-3 at CU is a lot less expensive than 4-5 years there with the mandatory year long dormitory stay for freshmen.

Doing the whole thing at in-state institutions would be less expensive still.

Right. Is there an ulterior motive for wanting CU Boulder? Like skiing, for example?

Right. Is there an ulterior motive for wanting CU Boulder? Like skiing, for example?

The skiing is very good, very close (the nearest ski area is 45 minutes from campus), and affordable season passes are available especially for young people.

The nearest airport for general aviation is 2-3 miles from campus and turbine DZ 12 miles.

Hiking (40,000 acres of open space and mountain park for 80,000 residents) and biking are quite fine too.

My sister is Kyle's Godmother and she has been saving $ towards his college education since he was born, not sure how much we have to work with, but she really was hoping/pushing for him to go to college there and stay with her.

John the one college around here that I would love for him to attend would be Lewis U. But that is way out of our league.

I figured going to the trade school would also help him to decide if he really wants this field and if he can handle it grades wise. Not saying he isin't smart but he isin't an A student. I think for what we would spend and what he would learn at AIM by the end of the 22 months he will be in a better place to see if going any further is what he wants.

My sister is Kyle's Godmother and she has been saving $ towards his college education since he was born, not sure how much we have to work with, but she really was hoping/pushing for him to go to college there and stay with her.

John the one college around here that I would love for him to attend would be Lewis U. But that is way out of our league.

I figured going to the trade school would also help him to decide if he really wants this field and if he can handle it grades wise. Not saying he isin't smart but he isin't an A student. I think for what we would spend and what he would learn at AIM by the end of the 22 months he will be in a better place to see if going any further is what he wants.

OK, but an Illinois college with such a program will be cheaper.

i have to speak up here. if you follow your conclusions, you are correct in your figures to a point. when you are drawing unemployment, you are not travelling anywhere, eating lunch out, and incurring no additional expenses. the price of gas alone with a 25 mile one-way trip to work 5 days a week puts a dent in the take home pay as does the deduction of taxes. in wv, you have the option to have 10% taken out of unemployment, but it is a choice, not mandatory. don't know about other states. i had the option of drawing unemployment or working for $10 an hour and chose unemployment for these reasons.

One could also have an all cash under the table job and still collect unemployment, allowing them to double dip. This would be further disincentive not to get a "real" job.

Step 1, Stop calling it unemployment, call it transition.
Step 2. Pay the same benefits regardless of future employment. Stop "punishing" those that get another job. They could even do a lottery style system where if one had a job, they could elect to take a reduced amount of their remaining benefits as a lump sum.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.