riddler

Another school shooting

This time, in France, which has strict gun laws.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/20/world/europe/france-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Toulouse, France (CNN) -- Authorities are investigating the possibility that neo-Nazis are behind a shooting spree that left three children and a teacher dead at a Jewish school in France, Interior Minister Claude Gueant said Tuesday.

That is one of several leads authorities are following after the Monday killings -- the third fatal attack on people from minority groups in the south of France in the space of eight days.

The country's southwest region remained on scarlet alert, the highest possible level, after the teacher and three children were gunned down at the Ozar Hatorah school in Toulouse.
The gunman at the Jewish school wore a camera on his chest during the attack, Gueant told Europe 1 in an interview Tuesday.

The minister said a witness had told authorities about the device. Gueant did not know if the gunman recorded the attack.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Strawman. Nobody says that strict gun laws make it impossible for determined criminals to obtain or use guns, any more than anyone is saying that extremely permissive gun laws will result in anarchical bloodbaths.

The gun debate has a lot of valid issues to discuss, if everyone's willing to be intellectually honest. Strawmen don't contribute to the dialog; they're more like dogs barking at passing cars.

The gunman at the Jewish school wore a camera on his chest during the attack, Gueant told Europe 1 in an interview Tuesday.

The minister said a witness had told authorities about the device. Gueant did not know if the gunman recorded the attack.

that's the Go-Pro nutter I mentionned earlier...
He is attacking "minorities", first was a military from north-african descendance, the 3 other military were 2 from north-african descendance, one from the french west indies, and then at the school all clearly jewish.

This person needs to be dismembered in public.
The attacks are clearly racist, as he also told an elderly person (apparently of "french look") to stay away so as not to get hurt.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

From the information available on this incident, it appears it is very unlike most other school shootings. It isn't a case of a troubled student going off the deep end or bullied one out for revenge. This attack came from outside. This looks more like a hate crime or a terrorist attack at a school.

This looks more like a hate crime or a terrorist attack at a school.

Not just at a school. It's the same gun that was used at 2 other shooting in the last few weeks, as piish said, targeting French Para's from North African origins, and another from West Indies origins.
Remster

This looks more like a hate crime or a terrorist attack at a school.

Not just at a school. It's the same gun that was used at 2 other shooting in the last few weeks, as piish said, targeting French Para's from North African origins, and another from West Indies origins.

I was wondering if the it was confirmed to be the same gun,
The last report I heard was it may be the same gun. If it is it looks like terrorism to me

Strict gun laws are irrelevant when you're talking about a right wing terrorist. The man or men responsible for this are scum and should hang. My heart really goes out to the families of his victims.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Strict gun laws are irrelevant when you're talking about a right wing terrorist. The man or men responsible for this are scum and should hang. My heart really goes out to the families of his victims.

About that whole 'right wing terrorist' thing...

From CNN:

Toulouse, France (CNN) -- Hundreds of police officers laid siege to an apartment in the south of France where a serial killing suspect was holed up, but the man authorities called an al Qaeda-trained jihadist refused to surrender as the standoff dragged on into Thursday morning.

The suspect, named by authorities as Mohammed Merah, 23, opened fire on police as they tried to ram down his apartment door about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, wounding two officers, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said.

and:

Merah told French police that he trained with al Qaeda in Pakistan's Waziristan region, bordering Afghanistan, said Molins.

At least they have him confined.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

About that whole 'right wing terrorist' thing...

From CNN:

***Toulouse, France (CNN) -- Hundreds of police officers laid siege to an apartment in the south of France where a serial killing suspect was holed up, but the man authorities called an al Qaeda-trained jihadist refused to surrender as the standoff dragged on into Thursday morning.

if you're going to place al Queda types on the left right scale, the right is where they would fit. They're the ultimate in conservative Muslims, wishing to return to the 10th Century.

true that .
I would also gladly chip-in for the ammo used.
He held the country by the balls for 30 hours.
They should have gotten him much quicker. But I guess they didn't want to precipitate the action too much, as they tried to get him alive.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I was wondering if the it was confirmed to be the same gun,

That is what was announced yesterday on NPR from a reporter in France.

I missed that one. Hope their correct. One of the reporters announcing the incident said, "a man open fired with a semi-automatic machine gun." There's no such thing.