Lefty

Michigan lottery winner still on food stamps

I believe, you nailed it! Government employees need to be accountable... big time. If, those government employees don't like their jobs, let 'em find something else. Someone needs to do a lot of 'in house' investigating and weed-out the one aiding cheats.

Chuck

Before you get out the pitchforks do you have any actual experience in social services?

Do you have any evidence that somebody was aiding this woman to cheat?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I believe, you nailed it! Government employees need to be accountable... big time. If, those government employees don't like their jobs, let 'em find something else. Someone needs to do a lot of 'in house' investigating and weed-out the one aiding cheats.

Chuck

Before you get out the pitchforks do you have any actual experience in social services?

Do you have any evidence that somebody was aiding this woman to cheat?

Whoa there! I was not accusing or pointing fingers! I said "IF" government employees are in some way helping 'cheats', they need to be dealt with. I'm saying that a closer look should be taken at the 'system'. I'm not even thinking of 'getting-out the pitchforks'. How did you read that into what I wrote? To answer your question... No, I've never worked in social services or ever been near it. Good Lord!!!

Chuck

Whoa there! I was not accusing or pointing fingers! I said "IF" government employees are in some way helping 'cheats', they need to be dealt with. I'm saying that a closer look should be taken at the 'system'. I'm not even thinking of 'getting-out the pitchforks'. How did you read that into what I wrote? To answer your question... No, I've never worked in social services or ever been near it. Good Lord!!!

I don't think there is an easy way for the 'system' to automatically know when someone encounters a windfall. There are painful methods, ones that would cost more than they save. So you commonly get into circumstances where you have to rely on people to report accurately, or behave appropriately.

Potentially the state could cross reference tax returns with welfare recipients, but even then you don't automatically know the date of the windfall, so the person would have been honestly collecting prior to that date. Most reporting docs collate for the entire year.

I don't think there is an easy way for the 'system' to automatically know when someone encounters a windfall. There are painful methods, ones that would cost more than they save. So you commonly get into circumstances where you have to rely on people to report accurately, or behave appropriately.

Potentially the state could cross reference tax returns with welfare recipients, but even then you don't automatically know the date of the windfall, so the person would have been honestly collecting prior to that date. Most reporting docs collate for the entire year.

Oh, no. It would not be an easy chore and I wasn't saying it would be. There has to be some way of checks and balances in the system. Then too, this is the government we are talking about and if it's easy or simple, they don't understand it.

Chuck

Oh, no. It would not be an easy chore and I wasn't saying it would be. There has to be some way of checks and balances in the system. Then too, this is the government we are talking about and if it's easy or simple, they don't understand it.

Chuck

well, you have a choice to make here - is is so important to make sure lotto winners don't get welfare checks that you'll spend money to prevent it from happening?

drug testing for welfare collectors is in a similar vein - it doesn't save the tax payers any money, it costs them money to administer the program. So if the goal is to save money, it's a bad idea. If it's to make sure the unemployed aren't having fun, then maybe it's a good idea.

If there was a 1040 or a 1099 generated then it would turn up in the Social Security database. Out local DSS workers can access that earnings record and do when it is time to check (usually annually). I believe lottery winnings generate a 1099, so she would have been caught at her next review anyway.

She was not honestly collecting, people are required to report changes in income or assets within 10 days. She won her lottery last September. Unless she has an extremely lenient department (which is very unlikely given the publicity) she will be required to pay back any benefits she received since that date. She may be subject to charges or fraud as well, although that is rare.

Based purely on her interview (ambiguous) and the circumstances I would say that the publicity weighs towards her being charged w/ fraud but her cluelessness weighs against it (intent to defraud is an element you must prove).

Chuck

well, you have a choice to make here - is is so important to make sure lotto winners don't get welfare checks that you'll spend money to prevent it from happening?

drug testing for welfare collectors is in a similar vein - it doesn't save the tax payers any money, it costs them money to administer the program. So if the goal is to save money, it's a bad idea. If it's to make sure the unemployed aren't having fun, then maybe it's a good idea.

Why can't they just print more money? :D Seriously though... sounds like a bit of a catch 22. Aren't there people in place already to check-up on what's going on? What do 'supervisors' do all day besides twit and text? To me, someone isn't doing their job. Why should there be 'special investigators' to search-out trickery and tom-foolery?

Chuck

Why can't they just print more money? :D Seriously though... sounds like a bit of a catch 22. Aren't there people in place already to check-up on what's going on? What do 'supervisors' do all day besides twit and text? To me, someone isn't doing their job. Why should there be 'special investigators' to search-out trickery and tom-foolery?

Chuck

I just explained above that this woman would have been caught eventually.

But just a for instance, if you wanted to change the reporting and verification cycle from yearly to monthly there would be no problem doing that. You would just have to hire 12 times as many eligibility workers.

Chuck

I just explained above that this woman would have been caught eventually.

But just a for instance, if you wanted to change the reporting and verification cycle from yearly to monthly there would be no problem doing that. You would just have to hire 12 times as many eligibility workers.

I guess I was typing my response while you were posting yours.
What I was getting at was... aren't there people 'in place' who are supposed to keep an eye on things, already?

Chuck

“DHS relies on clients being forthcoming about their actual financial status,” DHS Director Maura Corrigan said in a statement

:D:D:D[:/]B|

Wow.

Yep. And people wonder why benefits are so very abused. Because the system is set up to be abused easily and readily.

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Based purely on her interview (ambiguous) and the circumstances I would say that the publicity weighs towards her being charged w/ fraud but her cluelessness weighs against it (intent to defraud is an element you must prove).

Isn't ignorance of the law, no excuse?

Chuck

Isn't ignorance of the law, no excuse?

Chuck

All depends on the law, and I am sure Andy or Lawrocket will correct me if I am wrong, but certain crimes including perjury and fraud, one of the elements of the crime you have to prove is intent. In some case ignorance is an excuse.

If there was a 1040 or a 1099 generated then it would turn up in the Social Security database. Out local DSS workers can access that earnings record and do when it is time to check (usually annually). I believe lottery winnings generate a 1099, so she would have been caught at her next review anyway.

That 1099 doesn't say she won $1M in September, just that she got it sometime during 2011. And those are typically generated in late January. In the case of the lotto, they could look up public records, but many other sources (inheritance) would not be so easily checked. They would need to contact her and ask her to elaborate on the date.

There's only so many obvious cases like this one. The smaller violations would be much harder to determine.

“DHS relies on clients being forthcoming about their actual financial status,” DHS Director Maura Corrigan said in a statement

:D:D:D[:/]B|

Wow.

Yep. And people wonder why benefits are so very abused. Because the system is set up to be abused easily and readily.

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Well, the govt. could hire more staff to do the checking, but then the same folks that scream and whinge about cheats would be screaming and whinging about govt. spending.

How much do you think the net GAIN was when the IRS budget for auditors was cut to "save" money?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

aren't there people 'in place' who are supposed to keep an eye on things, already

There are, but not everyone is caught.

When you consider that the cost of what she stole in food stamp benefits appears to be less than $2000, well, while a lot of those add up, individually it's not huge. If it cost $50,000 (requirements, developer & tester salaries, computer time, and working out any bugs) to set up an interface between the lottery system and DHS, would it be worth it? They'd have to catch a bunch of food-stamp-receiving significant lotto winners to make it worthwhile.

A nosy food stamp worker might have checked to see if she was receiving benefits. Of course, that might be some kind of privacy violation.

All the news coverage is probably the best result of all; maybe it'll scare someone else.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

From what you first stated, it's cheaper to let 'em slide! :S

no one slid here. She did it, it was noticed, and she now has criminal charges filed. Seems to have worked out just well. It's reactive instead of proactive, but reactive is good enough and much cheaper.

Chuck

Sometimes it is, and this is an area that government should and has to mirror business. An easy example is retail. One of the biggest costs to any retailer is shrinkage, which includes shoplifting, theft form employees and other merchandise that is spoiled or goes missing. No retailer can afford to ignore shrinkage as it cuts directly and substantially into profit margins. It theory every retailer would love to have shrinkage of 0%. However at some point the cost of enforcement outweighs the cost of the shrinkage and the store decides it is cheaper to let some merchandise get out of the store. Of course they are constantly trying to come up with lower-cost more efficient ways to reduce shrinkage as well as tracking any new schemes that aim to take advantage of holes in the system.

no one slid here. She did it, it was noticed, and she now has criminal charges filed. Seems to have worked out just well. It's reactive instead of proactive, but reactive is good enough and much cheaper.

I know. The way the 'process' to catch someone like her was outlined for me, it sounds cheaper to let it go. The attention on a food stamp recipient who wins a lottery would basically take care of the situation. Which would work, thus, saving tax-payer money.

Chuck

Chuck

Sometimes it is, and this is an area that government should and has to mirror business. An easy example is retail. One of the biggest costs to any retailer is shrinkage, which includes shoplifting, theft form employees and other merchandise that is spoiled or goes missing. No retailer can afford to ignore shrinkage as it cuts directly and substantially into profit margins. It theory every retailer would love to have shrinkage of 0%. However at some point the cost of enforcement outweighs the cost of the shrinkage and the store decides it is cheaper to let some merchandise get out of the store. Of course they are constantly trying to come up with lower-cost more efficient ways to reduce shrinkage as well as tracking any new schemes that aim to take advantage of holes in the system.

I see, what you're saying.

Chuck

One of the biggest costs to any retailer is shrinkage...

And here I thought shrinkage was what you got from swimming in cold water. I'm always learning new things here in SC.

Don

She's now facing felony charges.

I dunno...I don't wanna condone fraud, but doesn't anyone else think this is a tad excessive? a felony?

Sometimes I think stupidity and ignorant justification/ wishful thinking should be cause for lenience...I dunno, maybe I tend to give women more leeway than they deserve...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

She's now facing felony charges.

I dunno...I don't wanna condone fraud, but doesn't anyone else think this is a tad excessive? a felony?

Sometimes I think stupidity and ignorant justification/ wishful thinking should be cause for lenience...I dunno, maybe I tend to give women more leeway than they deserve...

Seems to me that over the years, there've been a lot of complaints about welfare fraud and how it is costing us tax-payers too much. Could be that this woman is being made an example of and that this is the beginning of a 'crack-down'. I think, it's a good start. It's about time!
My wife, who is a retired peace officer says; "Women are the worst!"

Chuck

dunno...I don't wanna condone fraud, but doesn't anyone else think this is a tad excessive? a felony?

Nope, and I'm usually about the most sympathetic person in the world. According to at least one news story, she also had an unreported job during some of the time she was on food stamps.

A job isn't illegal, but you're supposed to report it -- it affects the benefit.

By throwing hte book at a really egregious offense, with lots and lots of publicity, DHS gets lots of "make an example" mileage. There is enough information in food stamp literature and talking-to that yes, you know you should report it. Really (I volunteer helping people to fill out applications).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)