Lefty

Michigan lottery winner still on food stamps

what do you expect her to do... she has bills to pay. After all, she has TWO HOUSES!!!

:S

Plus she has no income, no work! $500,000 is like poverty when stretched out over 25 years...

Plus she just gave the government $500,000...she deserves that $2400/yr "refund" for food!

...I better stop, my sarcasm is starting to convince me.:P
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Plus she just gave the government $500,000...she deserves that $2400/yr "refund" for food!

Heh, that's almost a compelling reason when you consider how the government will simply piss the money away.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

Heh, that's almost a compelling reason when you consider how the government will simply piss the money away.

Hey, it could be far worse. They could have given BILLIONS to Wall St. bankers. Oh, wait...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hey, it could be far worse. They could have given BILLIONS to Wall St. bankers. Oh, wait...

Yup. "They" are not very good stewards of our money, it would seem.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

“DHS relies on clients being forthcoming about their actual financial status,” DHS Director Maura Corrigan said in a statement

:D:D:D[:/]B|

Wow.

I always hated the term "client" I always preferedf "welfare recipient"

On the brighter side, CNN is now reporting that she has been cut off.

“DHS relies on clients being forthcoming about their actual financial status,” DHS Director Maura Corrigan said in a statement

Wow.

This is true throughout the system. They do have to provide verification, it is not just taking their word for it. And they are supposed to report changes in income or assets within 10 days.

You do understand the compliance costs if the DHS had to monitor everybody's income and assets in real time?

So instead we have an imperfect system but in this case it seems to have caught up with her pretty quickly.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Wow.

Just like the IRS relies on small businesses and the self employed to report accurately their annual income.

Wow.

I heard the same thing on the radio, yesterday. The State of Michigan should make her pay it all back! Owning two homes, a new car and whatever else she had and drawing food stamps? she should go to prison for fraud. Then too, 'the system' allows things like this to happen. It all needs to be re-worked and 'tightened-up.

Chuck

Wow.

I heard the same thing on the radio, yesterday. The State of Michigan should make her pay it all back! Owning two homes, a new car and whatever else she had and drawing food stamps? she should go to prison for fraud. Then too, 'the system' allows things like this to happen. It all needs to be re-worked and 'tightened-up.

Chuck

Yup, and somebody in "the system" had to know about it. I wonder if they will be held accountable?

Wow.

Chuck

Yup, and somebody in "the system" had to know about it. I wonder if they will be held accountable?

Good point! This 'case' should really be looked into. Now that she has the lottery winnings is the time for The State of Michigan to get their money back. Make an example of this woman!!! How often does that happen? Too many folks seem to get a 'pass' on things like this. The government's attitude seems to be 'Oh well, we found a problem so we just won't let them have any more food stamps.' Put their happy little asses in jail. Make them pay it all back.

Chuck

Wow.

Chuck

I'll bet you a beer that small business owners' tax evasion costs the government far far more than lottery winners on food stamps. Yet calls for tightening up tax enforcement are ritually opposed by the right wingers.

One of the problems is when issues like this come up, the government seems to go after the offenders and never seems to get to the root of the problem which is corrupt or ineffective individuals working for the government. That's the reason these type of incidents occur so often. If government workers as well as those in the private sector were held accountable instead of being allowed to use the same old worn out excuses suchas being under-paid and over-workd, perhaps things would begin to change. It is a bloated, poorly managed system that fosters a "I can get away with it" mentality that allows this to go on for so long.

Wow.

Chuck

I'll bet you a beer that small business owners' tax evasion costs the government far far more than lottery winners on food stamps. Yet calls for tightening up tax enforcement are ritually opposed by the right wingers.

You're on! That's just about right. We really need to get tough on tax cheats, frauds and dodgers. Government programs like food stamps. I say, to hell with Dems. and Repubs and all the rest. Crack-down on violators of these programs. Because of the politicians, all these thieves continue to go-on.

Chuck

I believe, you nailed it! Government employees need to be accountable... big time. If, those government employees don't like their jobs, let 'em find something else. Someone needs to do a lot of 'in house' investigating and weed-out the one aiding cheats.

Chuck

One of the problems is when issues like this come up, the government seems to go after the offenders and never seems to get to the root of the problem which is corrupt or ineffective individuals working for the government. That's the reason these type of incidents occur so often. If government workers as well as those in the private sector were held accountable instead of being allowed to use the same old worn out excuses suchas being under-paid and over-workd, perhaps things would begin to change. It is a bloated, poorly managed system that fosters a "I can get away with it" mentality that allows this to go on for so long.

This same thing happened awhile back in Michigan...When the media confronted the lottery winner, he said what he was doing was within the guidelines and saw no reason to stop until they changed...not sure if any measures have been taken...also, I wonder how much these types of people waste on lottery tickets.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...