shah269

One day I hope to pay only '13.9% tax'

I have a very good friend who works for the world bank...and has he put it to me when baby bush came into office and started mucking around with the tax codes and making things more apparent....
The rich will get richer.
The poor will die.
And the middle class can just move to Mexico.

That is to say he couldn't think of a better place to be rich than the US or a worse place to try and break past the wealth barrier. And further more that the rich and the well to do really don't need the middle class for anything let alone to buy any products which their investments produced in SEA. SEA will consume SEA products at a good margin. Mind you not a great margin as when they are sold to the middle class in the US but a good enough margin such that they can continue to live a great life.

So with that you can scream at the system till you spew blood and shout at the heavens for justice....but let's face it....the rich are in charge and they plan on doing one thing and one thing only...not only surviving but increasing their wealth.

And there is NOTHING any one here can do about it!

So good luck defending the rich thinking one day you will have that kind of money.....yeah right....and good luck screaming about the tools at their disposal to protect and increase their wealth......because those tools and tactics are not going anywhere!

Do what a good American does, drink beer and watch American Idol
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

There is nothing wrong with anyone, rich or poor, wanting to increase their wealth.

What is the alternative? Make bad investments?
Eventually the children of the wealthy will either increase the wealth handed on to them by their parents (Mitt Romney) or piss it away on Booze, coke and heroin (any of the Kennedy's)

Either way you're not going to get it.

Just because it doesn't solve the entire problem doesn't mean its not worth doing.

wow, I don't have the math skills to do the irony score on that comment from that source

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

ONE man contributes 3 mil into the pot and it's not enough for you people. Is he using 3 mil worth of resources?

Oh? Is that the standard you want; a complete "user pays" society rather than shared responsibility?

Are you sure?

I think what is meant here is that Romney paid 3 mil and the people that are mostly complaining gave nothing or next to nothing. they need to pay for some also.

Oh, I agree, GE ought to pay more taxes. Last year they not only paid zero, but actually got subsidy money. ;)

It's good to be an Obama Czar.

And how *dare* GE be able to take offsets against taxes like any other business.outrage>

But the SCOTUS says businesses are people. So they should pay taxes like people.

So lets say we tax GE 30%. Do you really think they are just going to eat that?

Do you think they won't pass the cost directly onto the consumer?

Would you if you ran GE?

>That is to say he couldn't think of a better place to be rich than the US or a worse
>place to try and break past the wealth barrier.

My grandmother was an Irish potato farmer. When they moved to the US my grandfather worked as a train conductor and a janitor.

My parents were both teachers, pretty solidly middle class.

I'm doing pretty well. Not quite as rich as people talk about in this thread, but I'll be able to retire pretty well and be able to send my kids to any schools they want to go to, which is as rich as I need to be.

My kids will probably do better than I did.

So it's not hard to break that wealth barrier - but sometimes it takes generations to do so.

>And there is NOTHING any one here can do about it!

My family and I did something about it. From dirt poor farmer to middlish class in three generations - not too bad.

>Do what a good American does, drink beer and watch American Idol

Do what a better American does - brew beer and make American Idol.

Just because it doesn't solve the entire problem doesn't mean its not worth doing.

wow, I don't have the math skills to do the irony score on that comment from that source

Keep working on it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

ONE man contributes 3 mil into the pot and it's not enough for you people. Is he using 3 mil worth of resources?

Oh? Is that the standard you want; a complete "user pays" society rather than shared responsibility?

Are you sure?

I think what is meant here is that Romney paid 3 mil and the people that are mostly complaining gave nothing or next to nothing. they need to pay for some also.

Oh, I agree, GE ought to pay more taxes. Last year they not only paid zero, but actually got subsidy money. ;)

It's good to be an Obama Czar.

And how *dare* GE be able to take offsets against taxes like any other business.outrage>

But the SCOTUS says businesses are people. So they should pay taxes like people.

So lets say we tax GE 30%. Do you really think they are just going to eat that?

Do you think they won't pass the cost directly onto the consumer?

Would you if you ran GE?

Thank you for pointing out the absurdity of treating corporations as if they are people.

>Do what a good American does, drink beer and watch American Idol

Do what a better American does - brew beer and make American Idol.

Do what Wall Street did, and make Americans idle.

Keep working on it.

Hey, encouragement - thanks

I believe it has something to do with: e, i, pi, 0, and 1
and limits and metrics only defined in the metric system

and, of course, stop lights

I'll have to dust off some old calc books and will let you know later

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Keep working on it.

Hey, encouragement - thanks

I believe it has something to do with: e, i, pi, 0, and 1
and limits and metrics only defined in the metric system

and, of course, stop lights

I'll have to dust off some old calc books and will let you know later

e^(2*pi*i) - 1 = 0 is really cool. Two transcendentals, the real and imaginary identities and the lowest prime all in one equation.

e^(2*pi*i) - 1 = 0 is really cool. Two transcendentals, the real and imaginary identities and the lowest prime all in one equation.

Big Bang Theory tangent on

I suspect those 5 can define everything - though, perhaps, you might need to add infinity to round it out.

defining infinity as 1/0 (or pi/0, or e/0) is not very comprehensive as just using the concept directly - IMHO

the first time I realized that trig functions could actually be expressed by combinations of power functions defined with e and i and pi was a real eye opener

Nerd Tangent tangent off

There is nothing wrong with anyone, rich or poor, wanting to increase their wealth.

What is the alternative? Make bad investments?
Eventually the children of the wealthy will either increase the wealth handed on to them by their parents (Mitt Romney) or piss it away on Booze, coke and heroin (any of the Kennedy's)

Either way you're not going to get it.

Somebody is going to get it, the obvious answer is to start selling those items to the filthy rich.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I suspect those 5 can define everything - though, perhaps, you might need to add infinity to round it out.

defining infinity as 1/0 (or pi/0, or e/0) is not very comprehensive as just using the concept directly - IMHO

the first time I realized that trig functions could actually be expressed by combinations of power functions defined with e and i and pi was a real eye opener

Nerd Tangent tangent off

Which infinity?

Actually, that's a bit of a bullshit answer because it's not how much money Romney made, but the way the money was made. Pretty much only people that are already rich can be taxed at that low of a rate since it requires one to already have enough money to live purely off investment income.

WHAT THE FUCK? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.

So now you have to MAKE the money the "right way". He made the money legally. He then invested money, which made a profit he then paid a tax on that profit. The fact that he - OR ANYONE - was successful enough to make enough money to live off the income generated from that wealth is a good thing.

Quade statement is what really has me worried about this country. It seems that Quade believes that the way Romney made his money isn't fair.

Perhaps I am reading this wrong.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Actually, that's a bit of a bullshit answer because it's not how much money Romney made, but the way the money was made. Pretty much only people that are already rich can be taxed at that low of a rate since it requires one to already have enough money to live purely off investment income.

WHAT THE FUCK? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.

So now you have to MAKE the money the "right way". He made the money legally. He then invested money, which made a profit he then paid a tax on that profit. The fact that he - OR ANYONE - was successful enough to make enough money to live off the income generated from that wealth is a good thing.

Quade statement is what really has me worried about this country. It seems that Quade believes that the way Romney made his money isn't fair.

Perhaps I am reading this wrong.

It matters not how he made it as long as it was legal.

It is still an issue that he makes as much in 21 hours as the average American family makes in a year. He dismisses his $300k speaking fees as "not much". Yet he pays taxes at a lower rate than middle class households (including mine, and probably yours too).

How can he possibly have any understanding of the issues faced by average American families?

Nerd Tangent tangent off

Which infinity?

this is just irresistible bait for about 4 of the other posters here, you know.......

First sorry for the bold...

How can he possibly have any understanding of the issues faced by average American families?

John to use the same thoughts...How could Obama have any understanding of how the average business man thinks? He's never made a payroll, hasn't tried to expand his business, if fact cutting overhead isn't something he has much if ANY experience doing.

By your standard Obama is just as out of touch as Romeny would be.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

It is still an issue that he makes as much in 21 hours as the average American family makes in a year. He dismisses his $300k speaking fees as "not much". Yet he pays taxes at a lower rate than middle class households (including mine, and probably yours too).

You keep saying that, despite the citation I listed showing this to be clearly false. You need to be making closer to half a million on average to be paying 15%. If the average (21 hours worth) family is being considered, you can throw in FICA and still be under 15%.

No doubt he's a pompous ass, but that's no surprise. He reminds us of it every week. Somehow W Bush managed to pull off this rich Everyman character a lot better.

You keep saying that, despite the citation I listed showing this to be clearly false. You need to be making closer to half a million on average to be paying 15%. If the average (21 hours worth) family is being considered, you can throw in FICA and still be under 15%.

No doubt he's a pompous ass, but that's no surprise. He reminds us of it every week. Somehow W Bush managed to pull off this rich Everyman character a lot better.

I make << $1/2 M, and pay some 20% overall, BEFORE SS and medicare taxes.

So now you have to MAKE the money the "right way".

Nope. Read it again. The remark was about having equal opportunity and being taxed fairly.

1) We don't all have an equal opportunity to make money the way he did.
2) Investment income shouldn't be considered "special" money and taxed at a different rate.

BTW, bolding you text doesn't make it more valid either.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I make << $1/2 M, and pay some 20% overall, BEFORE SS and medicare taxes.

Do I really need to quote you?

"Anecdotes != data"

The average (median would be most appropriate here) household does not pay 20%. I, lacking a spouse or kids or a mortgage, also pay more.

>Investment income shouldn't be considered "special" money and taxed at a different rate.

Why not? Poor people's money is considered "special" money and taxed at a different rate.

I didn't say rich people's money. I said investment income. At the very least compare apples to apples here. If you want to make a comparison, then I think the proper one would be income gained through labor versus income gained through investment.

If we're going down that road, then why can't I write off my income losses for the amount of time I spend working on a project that doesn't go through? I certainly can't do that, but people do get to write off investment losses.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If we're going down that road, then why can't I write off my income losses for the amount of time I spend working on a project that doesn't go through? I certainly can't do that, but people do get to write off investment losses.

How would you accurately measure and price this? Any attempt to factor for opportunity cost would be abused. BTW, investors also spend a lot of time evaluating potential investments. At least the successful ones do.

You could explore ways to structure your project so it pays you for this time. You would need the money to invest into the concept.