popsjumper

Assault Weapon Education Please?

The Brady folks and the other groups supporting the ban are all left-wing, so it was politics driving the fear and not the other way around.

The Brady folks got politically involved under that name after the shooting....hence the fear-driven politics.

You seem to be saying something along the lines of:
"Hmmmm...I want to be a Republican. What do I need to be afraid of? Oh, I know! Guns!"

Kinda sad they didn't think to be afraid of pussy. Maybe the fear mongers would have all died off by now.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The Brady folks got politically involved under that name after the shooting....hence the fear-driven politics.

Anti-gun groups were politically involved before the shootings...hence the politics-driven fear.

In 1974, the United Methodist General Board of Church and Society formed the National Coalition to Ban Handguns,[1] a group of thirty religious, labor, and nonprofit organizations with the goal of addressing "the high rates of gun-related crime and death in American society" by licensing gun owners, registering firearms, and banning private ownership of handguns with "reasonable limited exceptions" for “police, military, licensed security guards, antique dealers who have guns in unfireable condition, and licensed pistol clubs where firearms are kept on the premises.”

You seem to be saying something along the lines of:
"Hmmmm...I want to be a Republican. What do I need to be afraid of? Oh, I know! Guns!"

Nope, although I'm sure there *are* some people who vote Democrat because of their support of gun control.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

:D
Could you imagine getting scope eye with that!

:D

I did notice that the scope was small and a long way away from the eye

But you are right

Scope eye with that thing would really suck

the locking bolt on that thing seems a little thin for the kick we see - I wouldn't want to chance it shearing without knowing more about its design

I was wondering why they were being so gentle with the bolt.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

the locking bolt on that thing seems a little thin for the kick we see - I wouldn't want to chance it shearing without knowing more about its design

you're a funny guy

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

An "Assault Weapon" is a left-wing term for any scary looking semi-automatic weapon. You have to squeeze the trigger to fire each round but you don't have to slide a bolt or re-cock it for each round.

I'm a liberal. I enjoy building and shooting AR-15s. I mostly call them ARs or rifles.

An "Assault Weapon" is a left-wing term for any scary looking semi-automatic weapon. You have to squeeze the trigger to fire each round but you don't have to slide a bolt or re-cock it for each round.

I'm a liberal. I enjoy building and shooting AR-15s. I mostly call them ARs or rifles.

Well, obviously you have a grip on reality. At least as far as weapons are concerned.

Anti-gun groups were politically involved before the shootings...hence the politics-driven fear.

Well, let's see now....

"I think I'll develop a political stance and then become afraid of what the subject of my stance is."
OK. I guess it might make sense to some.

Nice of you to try to expand the scope of your statement to include something else that might back up your original one, though. Yep, nice, transparent try.

In 1974, the United Methodist General Board of Church and Society formed the National Coalition to Ban Handguns,[1] a group of thirty religious, labor, and nonprofit organizations with the goal of addressing "the high rates of gun-related crime and death in American society"..... .

Sounds like your quote says the group was founded in response to the fear to me. YMMV.

...I'm sure there *are* some people who vote Democrat because of their support of gun control.

No doubt of that, I'm sure.

Now. Thanks for the hijack.
Can we get back to educating the populace about assault weapons or do you think enough edumacation has been laid out there already?

"I think I'll develop a political stance and then become afraid of what the subject of my stance is."
OK. I guess it might make sense to some.

That seems to be about the level of logic your argument is using, yes.

Nice of you to try to expand the scope of your statement to include something else that might back up your original one, though. Yep, nice, transparent try.

Expand the scope of my statement? Seems like a mention of a group being founding a decade *BEFORE* the Brady shooting supports my claim.

Nice, transparent try indeed...on your part.

In 1974, the United Methodist General Board of Church and Society formed the National Coalition to Ban Handguns,[1] a group of thirty religious, labor, and nonprofit organizations with the goal of addressing "the high rates of gun-related crime and death in American society"..... .

Sounds like your quote says the group was founded in response to the fear to me. YMMV.

And *WELL* prior to the Brady shooting, which was *your* point, as I recall.

Before capitalizing on the shooting of Brady, the organization was known as Handgun Control, Inc. It's chairman, Pete Shields, had this to say in.... 1976. (Gee, there's that pre-Brady-shooting history again).

***"In 1976 then chairman Nelson "Pete" Shields stated

"We'll take one step at a time, and the first is necessarily - given the political realities - very modest. We'll have to start working again to strengthen the law, and then again to strengthen the next law and again and again. Our ultimate goal, total control of handguns, is going to take time. The first problem is to slow down production and sales. Next is to get registration. The final problem is to make possession of all handguns and ammunition (with a few exceptions) totally illegal."***

...I'm sure there *are* some people who vote Democrat because of their support of gun control.

No doubt of that, I'm sure.

Now. Thanks for the hijack.

You're the one that brought up stupid political party tricks, don't snark on me for answering it.

Can we get back to educating the populace about assault weapons or do you think enough edumacation has been laid out there already?

I think you've been sufficiently schooled, yes... :P

Again...(and again and again)... It's not about the guns, it's about the control.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Note that most of the definition is comprised of items like a folding stock, a pistol grip, a bayonet lug, a flash suppressor, a barrel shroud, etc. These are all cosmetic features, that have nothing at all to do with how dangerous the firearm is.

Nitpick - all in good fun!: A folding stock might make the weapon more concealable and/or portable. A pistol grip might make the weapon easier to wield, especially for a relatively untrained operator. Same goes for a barrel shroud. A bayonet lug (with appropriate accessory) might allow the weapon to retain some lethality (other than as a club) once the ammunition is spent. A flash suppressor might allow a shooter to avoid being easily spotted, to his tactical advantage.

Response, in all seriousness!:

Folding stock: if a criminal wants a concealable weapon, he will just use a pistol. A rifle with a folding stock is still bigger than a pistol, and hard to fit in the pants.

Pistol grip: The argument is that this makes it easy to shoot from the hip. But shooting from the hip is very inaccurate, and if a criminal is doing it, I'd prefer he shoot from the hip rather than raise the gun to his shoulder and actually aim through the sights. And you can still shoot a gun with a conventional stock from the hip - just watch any war movie.

Barrel shroud: Oh, another scary piece of metal. Just about all rifles built in the last 200 years have used wood on the top handguard to insulate the forward hand from the barrel heat. That's legal under the assault weapon ban. Only when it's a piece of metal with perforations in it to release heat was it deemed too scary to be legal. Wood does the same thing as perforated metal. This is cosmetics, and stupid. If a criminal intends to shoot so many rounds that the forestock will get too hot to hold, he'll bring a glove. That's what the cowboys did with their Henry's.

Bayonet lug: I have never once heard of a criminal running out of ammo with a rifle, and resort to mounting a bayonet charge to complete his crime. Stupid! It's all about what's scary to the fragile emotions of the gun-o-phobes.

Flash suppressor: They dissipate muzzle blast, and are just the polite way to shoot with your neighbors at the range. In Europe, it's considered polite to use a suppressor for more quiet shooting. But not in America where we have gun-o-phobia. An unregistered suppressor here makes you a criminal, and of course, all that noise we have without them is a good reason to sue gun ranges out of existance. And if someone wants to ambush a cop, they don't need a flash suppressor to do it - that's a feeble excuse.

you're a funny guy

Didn't mean to be funny. I've just never seen a bolt handled so gingerly. I'm not very knowledgeable about guns, but I'm not sure I'd want to fire something that would blow up in my face if I didn't do it oh so carefully.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

[replyI'm not very knowledgeable about guns, but I'm not sure I'd want to fire something that would blow up in my face if I didn't do it oh so carefully.

Right along similar lines of what the Viet Nam grunts were thinking about the first shipments of the M16....

"I'm not sure I want my ass to depend on a weapon that's going to jam if you look at it wrong....for your asses sake, keep it clean even if you're in the middle of a rice paddy."

[replyI'm not very knowledgeable about guns, but I'm not sure I'd want to fire something that would blow up in my face if I didn't do it oh so carefully.

Right along similar lines of what the Viet Nam grunts were thinking about the first shipments of the M16....

"I'm not sure I want my ass to depend on a weapon that's going to jam if you look at it wrong....for your asses sake, keep it clean even if you're in the middle of a rice paddy."

I heard for years that the Viet Nam War was really a testing ground for new weapons the military had come-out with. I never have found truth in that.

Chuck

For those of us who are less knowlegable about assault weapons:

You experts. Edumacate us, please. I'm no weapons expert. For you knowlegable guys it's going to appear as stupid questions, I know.

What makes an "assault rifle" an assault rifle?
Is it form or function?

If it's only form, then screw the fear mongers by simply changing the form, eh?

If it's only function, what is it about the function that is different than any other weapon?
In all simplicity, all weapons are the same. You fire it, it does some sort of damage to what you hit whether it's a target, a deer, or anything else.

Yes, I understand that there is a design goal in weapons development.... if you want to do this, then that is a better weapon to use to accomplish your goal.

Surely, any "assault weapon" could be, and is, used for other purposes than simply maiming humans, right? Hell, ANY weapon could be used for that so why do the fearful get all wadded up about "assault weapons" and create an assault weapon ban?

Thanks in advance.

Assault Weapons Ban thread

(not trying to be the repost police, just too lazy to copy the info into a new post)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

So, an "Assault Weapon"
1. Looks scary
2. Is semi-automatic

Well even an airsoft gun is semi-automatic and scary when pointed in your face.

Hell, even my recent gun avatar apparently looks scary and semi-automatically pisses people off...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I heard for years that the Viet Nam War was really a testing ground for new weapons the military had come-out with. I never have found truth in that.

Here's a link to World Guns talking about the history of the AR-16/M16 and its initial use in Viet Nam.
http://world.guns.ru/assault/usa/m16-m16a1-m16a2-m16a3-e.html

Excerpt:
-----------
"With rapidly growing presence of US troops in Vietnam, in 1966 US Government makes the first large purchase of the Ar-15 / M16 rifles, ordering 840 000 rifles for US Armed forces, worth almost $92 millions, and in 1967 US Army officially adopts the XM16E1 rifle as a standard "US Rifle, 5.56mm, M16A1".

During immediately following years, a number of negative reports apears from Vietnam. M16A1 rifles, issued to US troops in the Vietnam, severely jammed in combat, resulting in numerous casualties.

There were some causes for malfunction. First of all, during the introduction of the new rifle and its ammunition into the service, US Army replaced originally specified Dupont IMR powder with standard ball powder, used in 7.62x51mm NATO ammunition. The ball powder produced much more fouling, that quickly jammed the actions of the M16 unless the gun was cleared well and often. It also had different pressure curve, resulting in increased stress on operating parts of the gun.

This pitifully combined with the fact that the initial M16 rifles were promoted by the Colt as "low maintenance", so, for the sake of economy, no cleaning supplies were procured for new M16 rifles, and no weapon care training was conducted fro the troops. As a result, soldiers did not knew how to clean their rifles, and had no provisions for cleaning, and things soon turned bad. "
-----------

Other historical documentation also support the fact that there were major problems at first....and that soldiers bit the dust because of them. Testing ground? Yep.

Surely, there is some testing that could be done. When Smith& Wesson came-out with the Model 66, the Border Patrol really ran it through their 'field testing'. TheM-16 was purchased solely on the 'word' of Colt. Jets are tested, missles are tested and so-on. The M-16 could've been tested in the Okeefenokee (sp), for that matter. I think, our military was too easily impressed by a sales pitch.

Chuck

Every war is a testing ground for equipment, new and old.

Yes and no.

Yes, battle ground testing is the extreme.

No, battle ground testing CAN be simulated quite easily prior to release.

The case for the AR15/M16 was that simulated battle ground testing was glossed over and incomplete. It's inexcusable how that turned out.

Many things happen in widespread field use that cannot be envisioned or tested in advance by the creators.

I would argue the use of the word "many" in that proper testing could, and should, capture all the important things. If those things are not captured it's a failing of the testing entities.

Yes, a test program might not catch the problem of Joe Blow sticking his rifle in the microwave to warm it up but....WTH?

In the case of the AR15/M16, it seems pretty negligent to release a weapon to the battle field not knowing that normal use would cause it to jam....just to mention one problem.

Our guys paid for those mistakes.

All military firearms go through a torture test to prove that they are fit for battlefield service.

With the M16, the Army told the soldiers that the rifle didn't need to be cleaned regularly, which was true if the ammo was loaded with the powder for which Stoner, the designer, had created it for. But then the Army went and changed the powder used in the cartridges, and that new powder left a residue behind, which built up over time and caused cases to stick in the chamber and fail to extract. So the fault was not with the designer, but with the Army itself.