steve1

Concealed Carry Handgun?

Just FYI Concealed is not your only option if you decide on a full frame handgun...Open Carry is legal in Montana.

I agree, open carry is much more of a deterent.

I discussed this principle with a Hillsborough County Deputy. His opinion was that if the bad guys see any sign that you may be carrying a firearm, they will take it away from you. He emphasized his statement with, "Don't ever think they won't."

However, if the majority of folks on the street are displaying open carry it might be a different story.

I disagree with the Sheriff. If concealed carry in itself is a deterrrent as most proponents state, then why wouldn't it be a deterrent from someone trying to take a gun away from someone who open carries?

Just FYI Concealed is not your only option if you decide on a full frame handgun...Open Carry is legal in Montana.

I discussed this principle with a Hillsborough County Deputy. His opinion was that if the bad guys see any sign that you may be carrying a firearm, they will take it away from you. He emphasized his statement with, "Don't ever think they won't."

However, if the majority of folks on the street are displaying open carry it might be a different story.

I disagree with the Sheriff. If concealed carry in itself is a deterrrent as most proponents state, then why wouldn't it be a deterrent from someone trying to take a gun away from someone who open carries?

His point, at least in the Tampa Bay Area, was that they will attack as a gang with gang tactics. He had no major problem with concealed carry, just don't advertise it and become a target of opportunity to steal your weapon.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

His point, at least in the Tampa Bay Area, was that they will attack as a gang with gang tactics. He had no major problem with concealed carry, just don't advertise it and become a target of opportunity to steal your weapon.

I think there are times whenopen carry has it's advantages and times when concealed is better.

If you were in a restaurant and there were 4 other people who were all open carrying, it would be more of a deterrent than concealed carry. I seriously doubt a criminal would look for a confrontation with 4 people. OTOH a criminal might be more inclined to rob a restaurant if he didn't see anyone with a gun. I would also add that from a seated position, it's more difficult to draw a weapon that's concealed than one not concealed.

In the case you describe, yes, concealed might be better.

If OC was the deterrent that it's being portrayed as, cops wouldn't have to have level 3 retention holsters and be trained in weapon retention combatives.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If OC was the deterrent that it's being portrayed as, cops wouldn't have to have level 3 retention holsters and be trained in weapon retention combatives.

I haven't heard of any cases where a cop is walking down the street and someone attempts to take his gun away from him. If concealed is such a good deterrent, why do cops wear uniforms and drive marked cars?

I haven't heard of any cases where a cop is walking down the street and someone attempts to take his gun away from him.

"Officer shot with own gun" - approx. 102 *million* hits. Again, if it's not a problem, then why the level 3 retention holsters and weapon retention combatives training?

If concealed is such a good deterrent, why do cops wear uniforms and drive marked cars?

If OC is such an awesome deterrent, why do crimes occur at all, what with having uniformed cops and marked cars?

OC/CC are both deterrents to various levels of criminals. OC has the downsides of making you a target if it's discovered by a criminal, and scaring the uninformed public.

I'll pass on the extra attention in either case, thanks.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I haven't heard of any cases where a cop is walking down the street and someone attempts to take his gun away from him.

"Officer shot with own gun" - approx. 102 *million* hits. Again, if it's not a problem, then why the level 3 retention holsters and weapon retention combatives training?

I didn't go thru all of them but the ones I did read all had to do with an officer involved in a struggle while trying to arrest a criminal. Not a single case of an officer walking down the street and someone attacking him and tring to take his gun away.

If concealed is such a good deterrent, why do cops wear uniforms and drive marked cars?

If OC is such an awesome deterrent, why do crimes occur at all, what with having uniformed cops and marked cars?

Depends on how we figure how many are prevented due to the presence of a uniformed officer. It's difficult to prove something didn't happen

OC/CC are both deterrents to various levels of criminals. OC has the downsides of making you a target if it's discovered by a criminal, and scaring the uninformed public.

Agreed

I'll continue to avoid situations and places where I feel unsafe.

I didn't go thru all of them but the ones I did read all had to do with an officer involved in a struggle while trying to arrest a criminal. Not a single case of an officer walking down the street and someone attacking him and tring to take his gun away.

If you have to stretch the circumstances *THAT* hard to attempt to make a point, it's probably not a very good one.

Depends on how we figure how many are prevented due to the presence of a uniformed officer. It's difficult to prove something didn't happen.

And yet, you make that same claim regarding OC.

I'll continue to avoid situations and places where I feel unsafe.

So will I...imagine that. One doesn't preclude the other.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Or they shoot the guy with the visible gun in the back of the head as they come up from behind.

Couldn't find a single instance of this happening to a police officer. Not saying it never has but it's likely pretty rare. Most police officer shootings you referenced from Google were due to a struggle while trying to arrest a suspect. I'll be sure not to try and arrest anyone.

That 102M hits involved how many cases? And how many of them were, as he asked, cases where someone initiated conflict with a cop on sight of his gun? Damn few.

Officers have retention guards and training because their job involves arresting criminals who will face years in jail for their actions. Is it a surprise that they might resist and reach for a gun if possible. This is a pretty daft argument, imo.

And this isn't Hollywood, where gun fights are easy and the target drops instantly (or flies up against the nearest wall from the impact). Even cops have lousy accuracy in a firefight, and criminals do even less training for accuracy. And gunshot victims are frequently capable of firing back.

We've talked about it before - criminals are for the most part rational and can do simple cost/benefit analysis. Why pick a fight with someone that can fire back when there are so many easier options?

Or they shoot the guy with the visible gun in the back of the head as they come up from behind.

Couldn't find a single instance of this happening to a police officer. Not saying it never has but it's likely pretty rare. Most police officer shootings you referenced from Google were due to a struggle while trying to arrest a suspect. I'll be sure not to try and arrest anyone.

It happened here in Miami years ago. The shooter was never found.

As I said, I'm not saying it's never happened, just that it's very rare. I'm equally as sure that it's pretty rare that a criminal sneaks up behind someone who is OC, steals their gun, and then shoots and robs them. Way to many easier targets.

As I said, I'm not saying it's never happened, just that it's very rare. I'm equally as sure that it's pretty rare that a criminal sneaks up behind someone who is OC, steals their gun, and then shoots and robs them. Way to many easier targets.

Oh yeah, for sure.... There are a great many easier targets out there. Interestingly, last week a semi paralyzed victim fired up an attacker....with a CC weapon. So ya just never know.:D:D:D

As I said, I'm not saying it's never happened, just that it's very rare.

I never claimed it was common.

I'm equally as sure that it's pretty rare that a criminal sneaks up behind someone who is OC, steals their gun, and then shoots and robs them. Way to many easier targets.

Happened just last month - I referenced it upthread.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well if it's not common, then you need to measure the negatives versus the positives. Otherwise you're playing the same game the gun controllers play - a single child killed is enough evidence to say: 'guns are bad.'

Well if it's not common, then you need to measure the negatives versus the positives.

First your side need to come up with some valid positives, don't you think?

Otherwise you're playing the same game the gun controllers play - a single child killed is enough evidence to say: 'guns are bad.'

Like playing the game of specifying whether someone struggled with a cop *SPECIFICALLY* in order to get his gun that you and GM are playing upthread?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well if it's not common, then you need to measure the negatives versus the positives.

like the obvious positive - not getting attacked?

You dug yourself a hole with a illogical line of reasoning.

Incident from last month proves it false. Next attempt?

You dug yourself a hole with a illogical line of reasoning.

Nope, sure didn't. That would be the argument that OC magically repels all criminals... something DISproven by ANY attack on a cop.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Incident from last month proves it false. Next attempt?

you want absolutes? In the real world? As Kallend would tell you, anecdotes != data. You want to know what the typical outcome is, not the outlier.

So in this conversation, you want to know the rate of attack and the end result of Concealed Carry, Open Carry, and No Carry. You're not looking for the one that results in absolutely nothing bad ever happening, you want the one that minimizes it. Concealed carry might have the same rate of attack as no carry, but may have better outcomes. Open carry may (and probably will) have much lower rate of attack, but may have worse outcome expectation. And in a state where CCW are common, you have have different rates of attack then you see in states where CCWs are not common as the criminals have different expectations of resistance.

That's big boy science. Not "you can get 100M hits on google" about this one incident last month.

That's big boy science.

*golf clap*

Color me semi-impressed that you didn't continue the 'well, in how many incidents were they only after the cop's gun'...but you haven't said anything I didn't in post 106:

"OC/CC are both deterrents to various levels of criminals. OC has the downsides of making you a target if it's discovered by a criminal, and scaring the uninformed public."

or in post 85:

"OC *can* act as a specific deterrence, but can also mark you as a target to a criminal. CC acts as a general deterrence and doesn't set you up as Casualty #1 on the police report if things go south."

or in post 90:

"*NOTHING* is going to deter the truly dedicated criminal, (re: North Hollywood shootout) all we can do is try to deter the less dedicated ones. For some, the general possibility of armed response is enough (CC or general police activity). For others, it takes specific examples of armed response (OC or direct police activity/armed guards).

Conversely, the highest nail gets hammered first - the police and the OC group are the most obvious threats to the criminal and any shots fired are going to be in their direction."
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Conversely, the highest nail gets hammered first - the police and the OC group are the most obvious threats to the criminal and any shots fired are going to be in their direction."

that presumes that the attack is going to happen. Which makes as much sense as the other thread where we're asked, how well can a civilian fight on the open battlefield vs a trained Marine?

This thread is about our friends in Montana with a growing crime concern. They're not at war with their neighbors, they just have gained some undesirables. OC would encourage that ilk to find someone else, not to launch an attack.

OC would encourage that ilk to find someone else, not to launch an attack.

You have NO way to know that - that's the whole point.

It *may* cause the criminal to find someplace else to rob...or it MAY ensure that the OC is the first person shot.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_342PD.htm

Take a quick look at the link above Steve...I happen to know a 'grumpy old skydiver' in Texas that's been carrying one for years.

The thing is with CC, there are a couple of 'modes' you kinda need to address.

~Expecting trouble: if this is the case and your only option is a sidearm, you are going to want a large caliber high capacity semi automatic. One that you are comfortable carrying and shooting. The 'problem' is 99.9% of the time you're not 'really' expecting trouble, so you are saddled with carrying around a large heavy weapon that in reality is rather hard for most people to carry comfortably & conceal effectively.
I have a few that fit the bill, but a Glock 21 is what is loaded and holstered.

~Some added security: This mode is simply the acknowledgement that we live in a society in which there is violence and the common sense of self preservation necessitates having an edge.
For this you are going to want something that is lightweight, small, reliable and powerful enough to stop an attack.

That little 5 shot S&W .38 (+p) is a daily CC wet-dream.
The weapon loaded weighs less than the Glock 21 magazine, in a jacket or pants pocket it goes for the most part unnoticed by both the wearer and the public. It's a reasonably hard hitting round. It's quite accurate for a less than 2in. barrel, I have a tiny laser in the left grip that makes reactive point shooting a breeze, I can easily put 5 of 5 in a silhouette target at 50 yards consistently. Kzone shots at 7 yards are almost automatic.

Not real loud, not a lot of recoil or muzzle flash, smaller grip that's solid & comfortable...it's IMO one of the easiest CC weapons to both carry daily but to also train non-enthusiasts how to use effectively and without discomfort.

For someone like a grumpy old skydiver that's not expecting trouble but would like to have something in hand other than prayer beads should it happen to come...and can't see the necessity of hanging a few pounds on a belt every day ~ small, light, accurate and reliable are tough to beat. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Ruger LCP

Strongly disagree. Rugers LCP, or Little Copy Pistol, because it is a rip off of a KelTec 380 design, may be fun to target shoot but the 380 round sucks for self defense.

I don't want to get shot by any gun, but if I had to chose I would rather be shot by a 380 than a 45!!!

At the minimum I would go with a 9mm, and the heaviest 9mm self defense round that you gun will shoot reliably and that you shoot accurately.

Go heavy.

Negative. .380s can be carried with just about anything (nothing) on, so they are an excellent choice for anytime, anywhere and still be concealed. There's some really good ammo now for the 380 with good gel tests. Is it a .45? No. But it's more than enough to stop a bad guy.

But to the OP. Read a lot. Fire a lot if you can. Find what you're comfortable with. It's more important to be accurate than wave a big gun around. If A charging bad guy isn't scared off by you drawing a gun (at which point, what does it matter if its a .32, a .38 special or a .50), he's not going to be stopped instantly w/o a shot to the CNS / heart. Most importantly, whatever you get, practice a lot.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.