skydvrvalco

greed

Im a tandem instructor at a small dz. just myself and 1 other instructor. Recently my son has started working with us as video editer and packer.
mon thru fri is usually pretty slow. The other instructor wants to jump in and take away my kids pack jobs when he doesn't have jumps.

>The other instructor wants to jump in and take away my kids pack jobs when he
>doesn't have jumps.

Sounds pretty reasonable. Generally the more senior person gets his choice of assignments. How about an agreement where the instructor does 2/3 of the packjobs and your son does 1/3 when it's not busy?

Most DZs have protocols for this sort of thing. Sometimes they are less formal. Go to the DZO and ask him to establish a protocol.

absolutely -

when does the other instructor write a post mentioning that his DZ is slow and the other instructor's kid is now taking away his livelihood by stealing his potential income.

I think the real solution here is for both the instructors to help the DZO find ways to increase the business so everyone profits.

The kid packs for the instructors, the instructors keep flying all day so they make Tandem/AFF money instead of packing money, the DZO gets more biz, the pilot flies more, etc etc etc.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Seriously, the two of you should get with the DZO and see if there is any way to get more business.

If you succeed, then you'll both be thrilled to have a packer

and there is still nothing wrong with the kid making money packing - it's the DZO that decides, not you or the other contractor

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Thanx Bill. The dzo has decided that when the kid is called in to pack,he gets the packs. Typically we are very busy and my son is a genuine asset to the dz. All efforts are being made in as much as we can do to increase volume. This is just a tough time of year for us.
I made this post because I was enraged by the lack of respect this scenario presents. Was seeking solace in the opinions of others.
I've looked at it from both sides now. I've cleansed the anger from my soul.....

The dzo has decided that when the kid is called in to pack,he gets the packs. .....

that's a good solution - he gets the work on days he is specifically asked to work. he just doesn't show up and expect to take precedence over the senior contractors

nicely handled by the DZO