BIGUN

Is there a connection between Islam, Judaism and Christianity

btw, How can all three have the same God when Islam and Judaism don't believe Christ was God incarnate?....

did you type this with a straight face? because this is pretty much the kind of stuff that gives excuse to escalate conflicts - it's pretty much the entire point of debate, so it's a big ol' blind tangent that proves the point

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Allah, Jehovah, and the Christian God are, of course, one and the same.

They're similar, not the same. Whether you like it or not, the three gods differ from each other. Not that much, just enough to produce centuries of hatred between the three groups of followers.

You are incorrect. 'They' are one and the same.

That's the conclusion I've come to and it saddens me. Basically, we as mankind have divided into three groups (which I believe to be language-based differences) that are fighting and killing each other in the name of the same God. And, finally, can we enlighten/educate to make it stop?

I agree, we are like three small children fighting over which one our father loves the most.

Personally I think all these wars are born out of political discontent where religion is just a superficial caualty...

btw, How can all three have the same God when Islam and Judaism don't believe Christ was God incarnate?

Neither believe in a triune God....

OK. For that we would need to take a trip down Constantine lane who was not a Christian and the Council of Nicaea... And only Christianity believes in a Hell with no Crossover to Heaven... The Trinity still wasn't formalized until about 400 years later and even to this day is questioned and is nowhere to be found in the bible.

And, back on subject... even the Nation of Islam believes in Jesus... just in a different way - A prophet, sent by Allah and born of the Virgin Mary, but not divine (Quran 5:17). To proclaim the Injil, or gospel. This gospel has been corrupted over time by human additions and alterations. Jesus was not crucified (Quran 4:157), but was raised to Heaven by Allah (4:158). The Jews, however crucified Jesus because of his claim to be divine.

The short course is: The Christians and the Muslims have a lot more in common (Google: Similarities between Christianity, Judaism and Islam and look at any of the comparison charts), than either have with the jews.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

because this is pretty much the kind of stuff that gives excuse to escalate conflicts

did you type this with a straight face? Maybe conflicts are escalating for, I don't know, the last 14 centuries or so, because there are, in fact, different Gods in Abrahamism?

The short course is: The Christians and the Muslims have a lot more in common (Google: Similarities between Christianity, Judaism and Islam and look at any of the comparison charts), than either have with the jews.

Universal Religions, such as Christianity, Islam, Mormon and Scientology are systems of belief/allegiance. If you do not believe, you are not a member of the club.

For a variety of historical reasons, the Tanakh (Hebrew Scritures) is listed as a prequel of Christianity, Islam and Mormon. Arabs even claim to be bastard cousins of the Children of Israel.

Judaism is a big - if dysfunctional - family, with a set of Bronze Age family traditions, and laws attributed to a dedicated deity. If you do not believe, you are still a member of the family.

BSBD,

Winsor

because this is pretty much the kind of stuff that gives excuse to escalate conflicts

did you type this with a straight face? Maybe conflicts are escalating for, I don't know, the last 14 centuries or so, because there are, in fact, different Gods in Abrahamism?

your tone is disagreement, but your words are agreement

though I'd still say the the conflicts are not "because" of these cosmetic little differences - rather the conflicts are rationalized by these things and the real reasons are the same as always, more power, more land, more control, etc. any excuse would do, the religious rationalizations are just easier to sell to a devoted populace

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If you put it like that, I largely agree with you. I think religion and religious differences play a bigger role, but it's (almost) never religion alone. Even with things like the witch-burnings, there were often non-religious reasons behind it. It was, for example, a rather effective way to resolve personal conflicts or (quite literally) eliminate competition by accusing people of witchcraft.

It was, for example, a rather effective way to resolve personal conflicts or (quite literally) eliminate competition by accusing people of witchcraft.

ahhhhh, the good ol' days

(if you think women are petty and mean nowadays, imagine them having that little gambit in their arsenal today)

btw, How can all three have the same God when Islam and Judaism don't believe Christ was God incarnate?....

did you type this with a straight face? because this is pretty much the kind of stuff that gives excuse to escalate conflicts - it's pretty much the entire point of debate, so it's a big ol' blind tangent that proves the point

It crossed my mind, but the point is that they still are not the same God.

Don't worry, I'm not about to kill anyone over it.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

The Trinity still wasn't formalized until about 400 years later and even to this day is questioned and is nowhere to be found in the bible.

Neither is the word "Christian."

These words may not be found in scripture but the concepts most certainly are...

And, back on subject... even the Nation of Islam believes in Jesus... just in a different way - A prophet, sent by Allah and born of the Virgin Mary, but not divine (Quran 5:17).

Ya, Jehovah Witnesses believe the same thing which is why I think they make such good progress in evangelizing muslims back home in Detroit.

The short course is: The Christians and the Muslims have a lot more in common, than either have with the jews.

I've considered this before, but it doesn't really matter...All that matters is Christ's diety, death and resurrection. If you reject any three of those you are not a christian and believe in some other god, just as if you reject any part of the trinity.

Then, how come the evolutionary model hasn't already been invented or re-invented within any class of planet that we can see for millions of light years?

What makes you think that it's not just something we haven't found YET? There are countless cases where we attributed something to the supernatural only to later find out that there is a natural, rational explaination for it. It's been going on as long as man has existed...it would be silly to think that it can't happen in this case.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

And, back on subject... even the Nation of Islam believes in Jesus... just in a different way - A prophet, sent by Allah and born of the Virgin Mary, but not divine (Quran 5:17).

Ya, Jehovah Witnesses believe the same thing which is why I think they make such good progress in evangelizing muslims back home in Detroit.

Sorry, I can't speak to the Mormon or Jehovah's Witnesses.

I've considered this before, but it doesn't really matter...All that matters is Christ's diety, death and resurrection. If you reject any three of those you are not a christian and believe in some other god, just as if you reject any part of the trinity.

Oh, C'mon... even as a Christian, you've had to read the contradiction's on Christ's deity; written in some cases by the same authors who claim him to be God...

Matthew 19:17, Mark 10:18
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Mark 16:19
So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

John 8:40
But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God.

John 14:28
My Father is greater than I.

John 20:17
I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Acts 17:31
Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

1 Corinthians 11:3
The head of Christ is God.

1 Corinthians 15:28
And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Colossians 3:1
Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

OK. So I'm going to come back full circle to the beginning of the thread and then I need to conclude this thread on comparative religion. Family is coming in and it's my first Christmas to New Year's off in ten years and I'm having a great time doing the other kind of relative work for a few days. I'll leave you with this if you're interested:

Similarities between Islam, Christianity & Judaism : Dr Zakir Naik Part 1/5 Dr. Naik is a speaker from Mumbai, India, respected for promoting similarities between major faiths for a common platform of peace using the Bible, Vedas, Torah and Qur'an.

To find the other 4 four parts if you're interested...

Finally, I wish you all a very Happy New Year. God Bless... ;)

your belief system states there is only one god - so by definition it has to be the same

your belief system states there is only one god - so by definition it has to be the same

There are exactly as many gods as leprechauns.

I've never taken a census of either, so I wouldn't know. Nor would I really care.

Oh, C'mon... even as a Christian, you've had to read the contradiction's on Christ's deity; written in some cases by the same authors who claim him to be God...

The diety of Christ has been debated ad nauseum, both here and in history. I implore you to delve into biblical study and not limit the basis of your faith to a few quotes selected out of context from some google search.

One of the reasons I stopped quoting scripture so much is because unbeknowst to me I would sometimes quote verses that were convenient or seemed relevant to the situation at hand, but it just had no relevance to what was actually being taught in that particular context, eventhough what I was explaining wasn't inherrently wrong or anti-biblical.

Here is a section of scripture where the spiritual truth being conveyed is actually about the diety of Christ, unlike the quotes you provided...

...note how the Father refers to the Son as God, so it's no surprise to me that Christ would refer to the father as God...

Hebrews 1
The Supremacy of God's Son
Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.

For to which of the angels did God ever say,

“You are my Son,
today I have begotten you”?

Or again,

“I will be to him a father,
and he shall be to me a son”?

And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,

“Let all God's angels worship him.”

Of the angels he says,

“He makes his angels winds,
and his ministers a flame of fire.”

But of the Son he says,

“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.”

And,

“You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands; they will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment, like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed.[a]
But you are the same, and your years will have no end.”

And to which of the angels has he ever said,

“Sit at my right hand
until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”?

Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

Hebrews 2 then touches on why Christ was not only lower than God(The Father) as you alluded to earlier, but also lower than the angels and even man, as a servant. This also goes back to psalm 8.

Also your quote of Matthew 27:46 was actually Jesus referencing psalm 22 to show that particular prophesy as being fulfilled.

If you are simply looking to understand, I would suggest expository preaching/study...you don't have to agree, but I gaurantee you'll hear the greatest explanations/arguments against the assorted attacks on Scripture and the Diety of Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expository_preaching

You can say that all day, but they are still different...Only one can be right.

I would say choose wisely, but most people today can't even make an educated guess.

>You can say that all day, but they are still different...Only one can be right.

Which is right - Bud Light or Miller Light? It's a question that has boggled barstool philosophers for decades.

Miller Light? Is that a new beer or something?

The diety of Christ has been debated ad nauseum, both here and in history. I implore you to delve into biblical study and not limit the basis of your faith to a few quotes selected out of context from some google search.

One of the reasons I stopped quoting scripture so much is because unbeknowst to me I would sometimes quote verses that were convenient or seemed relevant to the situation at hand, but it just had no relevance to what was actually being taught in that particular context, eventhough what I was explaining wasn't inherrently wrong or anti-biblical.

Here is a section of scripture where the spiritual truth being conveyed is actually about the diety of Christ, unlike the quotes you provided...

...note how the Father refers to the Son as God, so it's no surprise to me that Christ would refer to the father as God...

Hebrews 1
The Supremacy of God's Son
Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.

For to which of the angels did God ever say,

“You are my Son,
today I have begotten you”?

Or again,

“I will be to him a father,
and he shall be to me a son”?

And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,

“Let all God's angels worship him.”

Of the angels he says,

“He makes his angels winds,
and his ministers a flame of fire.”

But of the Son he says,

“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.”

And,

“You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands; they will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment, like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed.[a]
But you are the same, and your years will have no end.”

And to which of the angels has he ever said,

“Sit at my right hand
until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”?

Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

Hebrews 2 then touches on why Christ was not only lower than God(The Father) as you alluded to earlier, but also lower than the angels and even man, as a servant. This also goes back to psalm 8.

Also your quote of Matthew 27:46 was actually Jesus referencing psalm 22 to show that particular prophesy as being fulfilled.

If you are simply looking to understand, I would suggest expository preaching/study...you don't have to agree, but I gaurantee you'll hear the greatest explanations/arguments against the assorted attacks on Scripture and the Diety of Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expository_preaching

ACKNOWLEDGED
WILL PURSUE
TY FOR YHE AZIMUTH

It's like Miller but lighter. Hard to believe I know.

The whole concept of light beer is kinda hard to believe....:|

It was developed by NASA. See, going to the moon, launch weight was a premium, and all that regular beer was just too heavy...