quade

How many years would I have gotten? How about you?

The quotes of the Founding Fathers prove you wrong.

Really? Quote them. I don't mean a pseudonym, I mean an actual quoteS from Founding FatherS.

Post 45.

Clearly Fed 10 isn't it.

Bullshit.

That's simply one man's opinion and he didn't have the balls to sign his name to it.

I seem to recall you saying that you don't post under your real name...so by your logic, why should I pay any mind to *YOUR* anonymous opinion, if you won't sign your name to it?

AND there were dissenting opinions as well.

I should be disregarding those as well, since they didn't didn't have the balls to sign *their* real names either...right?

Go for it. Show me the quotes that prove me wrong and it wasn't done for practical reasons of travel and communications.

I've already provided examples...your turn.

You make it sound as if Fed 10 was actually an important piece of how the US Constitution was created. It wasn't. It certainly wasn't considered all that important in its own time. It was simply a minor opinion.

Your opinion - historians seem to disagree.

"Further, by the time New York came to a vote, ten states had already ratified the Constitution and it had thus already passed — only nine states had to ratify it for the new government to be established among them; the ratification by Virginia, the tenth state, placed pressure on New York to ratify."

"According to historian Richard B. Morris, they are an 'incomparable exposition of the Constitution, a classic in political science unsurpassed in both breadth and depth by the product of any later American writer.'"
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I seem to recall you saying that you don't post under your real name...

Perhaps that's your problem then, your recollections are faulty.

You make it sound as if Fed 10 was actually an important piece of how the US Constitution was created. It wasn't. It certainly wasn't considered all that important in its own time. It was simply a minor opinion.

Your opinion.

Not just mine.

For instance, Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville refers specifically to more than fifty of the essays, but Fed 10 is not among them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I seem to recall you saying that you don't post under your real name...

Perhaps that's your problem then, your recollections are faulty.

Perhaps. Or perhaps not.

Your opinion.

Not just mine.

For instance, Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville refers specifically to more than fifty of the essays, but Fed 10 is not among them.

So? See quotes from Brooks and Furtwangler in the post above.

Waiting on those quotes of yours about geography being the reason for a representative republic vs. a democracy...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Quotes from previous posts….

Thomas Jefferson: A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.

DO the math:
Number of state and national legislators divided by the total population.
Somewhat less than a majority, eh? So few control so many. Me? I’d prefer the 51/49%

Ever see a situation where the legislators voted in something that the majority of the population didn't want?

What Federalist 10 is actually talking about is how to cut down on influence peddling -- Factionalism. It makes a certain case for it, but I think we can now see the flaw in it. It's actually easier to influence this smaller group of representatives.

Cut down on influence peddling? We have failed miserably on that. Yes, Quade has it right. Much easier to influence a few as opposed to the all.

A common passion or interest will, in almost every case, be felt by a majority of the whole; a communication and concert result from the form of Government itself; and there is nothing to check the inducements to sacrifice the weaker party, or an obnoxious individual. Hence it is, that such Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security, or the rights of property;

And in that respect, how has a republic proven different? It hasn’t. Not by a long shot.

And here’s the bullshit:

A Republic, by which I mean a Government in which the scheme of representation takes place, opens a different prospect, and promises the cure for which we are seeking.

Seeking a “cure” through the development of a republic opened a different prospect, yes, but it hasn’t proven to be the “cure” that was sought. It has failed.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It has failed.

Feel free to move to one of those straight democracies (assuming you can find one) so you can see what the difference ACTUALLY is instead of what you THINK it is.

Try Switzerland (I think Iceland qualifies, as well).

It has failed.

Feel free to move to one of those straight democracies (assuming you can find one) so you can see what the difference ACTUALLY is instead of what you THINK it is.

Try Switzerland (I think Iceland qualifies, as well).

Switzerland is about as close as it gets for modern times - of course, they have a 'double-dip' process depending on the scope of the issue.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ever see a situation where the legislators voted in something that the majority of the population didn't want?

Bush over Gore. Not quite your question, but in the ballpark.

The various protect the music industry bills probably wouldn't survive a public vote. Many of those actions have limited support outside of the industry.

The TARP bailout would die too, though in this case it could be argued that the legislators are doing what needs to be done for a change, not what's popular.

Really? Quote them. I don't mean a pseudonym, I mean an actual quoteS from Founding FatherS. Clearly Fed 10 isn't it. That's simply one man's opinion and he didn't have the balls to sign his name to it. AND there were dissenting opinions as well.

Go for it. Show me the quotes that prove me wrong and it wasn't done for practical reasons of travel and communications.

It's silly pretending that the Federalist Papers didn't matter, or that they were anonymous opinions from a single person. That's as truthful as a Michelle Bachmann quote.

He cited very clear arguments that it was certainly a concern about the problems with democracy. A cynic would go on to say that this showed elitism - that they were afraid of the people, didn't trust them. Not a concern about the problems of distance.

Really? Quote them. I don't mean a pseudonym, I mean an actual quoteS from Founding FatherS. Clearly Fed 10 isn't it. That's simply one man's opinion and he didn't have the balls to sign his name to it. AND there were dissenting opinions as well.

It's silly pretending that the Federalist Papers didn't matter, or that they were anonymous opinions from a single person.

I didn't say they collectively didn't matter. I said Fed 10 wasn't the reason we ended up with a representative democracy and it wasn't considered to be among the more important documents of the day. I cited a well known political science book of the day to demonstrate that.

He cited very clear arguments that it was certainly a concern about the problems with democracy. A cynic would go on to say that this showed elitism - that they were afraid of the people, didn't trust them. Not a concern about the problems of distance.

Representative democracy is simply more practical. In the mid-1700s there was simply no way the citizenry could have possibly kept up with current events and traveled to polling places with the frequency required to run a government. Impossible.

While Madison may have suggested it for one reason in Fed 10, it was really the only solution if you wanted to decentralize power (as opposed to a Monarchy or Dictatorship) and give everyone some voice in government while still allowing them to make a living in a mostly agricultural society spread across thousands and thousands of square miles.

Let me put it another way . . . how else could it have possibly been done?
quade -

When someone resorts to "meh" and "whatever" in the same sentence, one can safely translate that to "I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about."

I think most people with basic reading comprehension skills can figure out my "meh" and "whatever" were in a sentence responding to your off topic comment regarding my supposed hatred of the United States. In that case, you indeed "don't know what the fuck you are talking about".

The rest is an argument you are creating by yourself. Never claimed teh rules were identical, my post above and quoted by you pretty clearly indicates where I see the parallel.

I didn't say they collectively didn't matter. I said Fed 10 wasn't the reason we ended up with a representative democracy and it wasn't considered to be among the more important documents of the day.

Federalist 10 standing by itself? Perhaps not, although the Library of Congress disagrees:

James Madison's Federalist no. 10 is one of the most important and enduring statements of American political theory. Its reasoned statement explains what an expanding nation might do if it accepted the basic premise of majority rule, a balanced government of three separate branches, and a commitment to balance all the diverse interests through a system of checks and balances.

The Federalist Papers as a whole? History proves your opinion in error again, as they were reprinted as a bound book in 1788 and have continued to be available since then.

I cited a well known political science book of the day to demonstrate that.

Really? Please provide a direct quote where he specifically says that, thanks. Lack of cite does not imply lack of importance, only that the specific letter was not germane to the point he was making.

Representative democracy is simply more practical. In the mid-1700s there was simply no way the citizenry could have possibly kept up with current events and traveled to polling places with the frequency required to run a government. Impossible.

The citizenry would have the same knowledge of current events and issues under a republic as under a straight democracy. The same polling places could be used for for either form of government.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I guess some people would call corruption freedom and some of the basic rights we enjoy in the U.S. a hindrance to their peace and harmony.

Well, yes. That would be true.
For example, you may,by law, enjoy the freedom to blast your boom box until some specified hour of the night. That would indeed hinder my peace and harmony.

You may, by law, enjoy the freedom of taking my property to build a Home Depot. That would hinder my peace and harmony.

I needn't go on...

I'm guessing you have never been to Estonia.....

I am guessing you haven't been to Estonia either. It's a country that is hugely influenced by Scandanavia (look at the map to understand why if you don't know already) and if my experiences of visits there are anything to go on, it deserves a high ranking....

Still, never let the facts get in the way of bashing anyone who dares to suggest that the US is not the free-est place in the World [:/][:/]

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

The citizenry would have the same knowledge of current events and issues under a republic as under a straight democracy. The same polling places could be used for for either form of government.

Which works fine on election day once a year, but not on a day-to-day basis.

That might work with today's communication as demonstrated by "American Idol," but absolutely would not have worked in the mid-1700s. It would have been for all practical purposes, impossible.

Additionally, even if attempted, you still end up with a representative democracy of some sort because whoever is drafting the legislation are acting as gatekeepers to what people get to vote on. Unless, you're suggesting that everybody votes for every revision of every draft of legislation, but even then who initially came up with the draft, unless you're suggesting legislation be completely crowd sourced, in which case that's just f'in' nuts.

A pure democracy can ONLY work in a very small community where everyone involved can walk into the same town meeting. It doesn't scale up to the size of the state of Rhode Island let alone the 13 colonies.
quade -

Which works fine on election day once a year, but not on a day-to-day basis.

Then it is equally unworkable for *either* form of government and is invalid as a point of argument.

That might work with today's communication as demonstrated by "American Idol," but absolutely would not have worked in the mid-1700s. It would have been for all practical purposes, impossible.

Then it should be very easy for you find quotes from the Founding Fathers supporting your version, right?

We'll wait.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706