firemedic

Is it pride or is it bigotry?

Are you stretching your imagination... again?

http://vigilantcitizen.com/sinistersites/sinister-sites-the-denver-international-airport/

If there is a gateway to hell, it's Denver airport. :o

Un-believable!!! I saw a story about this on The History Channel! Incredible.

Chuck

I knew the bottom line would be Aliens.

Is there a law (similar to Godwin's law for Nazi's and Hitler) about how long it takes for any discussion to include, or make reference, to aliens?

Do we have a favorite alien conspiracist (?) on the site that would be willing to lend their name to such a law?

Conspiracy theorists around here? Naaaaw! :o:ph34r:

Chuck

Here's another take on the symbol.

Meh, the South lost and will not be rising again, Unless it's to go to a NAPCAR race.

Neo-Confederates need to get over the fact that their beloved South LOST THE FUCKING WAR.

What a limited view you have of Life. Confederate soldiers comported themselves well during the war. They defended their homes & loved ones w/dignity & honor. Their bravery & sacrifice commands respect. So does the Japaneses Imperial Navy, Wehrmacht, etal...
When I view hate-filed, ignorant views like yours. I realize how little you reap from the experience of life. I'm glad. You don't deserve to.

Any more than an Afghanistani woman should "get over" being forced to marry her rapist, no.

So the "South" (I'm Virginian, by birth and choice, BTW) can't get over the fact that their great-great grandmother was forced to marry her rapist?

Negro, please.

- Dan G

Whether you're distinguishing black from white or north from south, either way it's divisive. I couldn't care less where someone's ancestors lived well over a century ago, nor which side they supported in an American-on-American war. They're either good people or they're not, and the past they never saw is hardly relevant. What matters, is what statement they're trying to make now, by flying such a flag. I can only come up with two possibilities...either a joking "losers or not, you can't deny we're stubborn" statement, or some sort of support for the ideals for which the confederates fought. Without trying to invoke Godwin's law, I fail to see a substantive difference between sporting a confederate flag or a swastika. Both were symbols for the losing side in a war that had racist roots. I think a concept of free speech should protect such statements, but I'd be no more prone to bragging about being from the south than I would bragging about being from the north, or Washington, or of Polish heritage, none of which are logical sources of pride.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Any more than an Afghanistani woman should "get over" being forced to marry her rapist, no.

So the "South" (I'm Virginian, by birth and choice, BTW) can't get over the fact that their great-great grandmother was forced to marry her rapist?

Negro, please.

In the Balkans and Eastern Europe, the 19th Century is like yesterday.

Russia absorbed the Ukraine and China absorbed Tibet, and in each case carpetbagged the subordinate society such that the demographics were swayed in their favor. Nevertheless, you can be born in Kiev and be Russian, or born in Lhasa and be Chinese. The relationship between North and South is similar.

If the decendants of Africans who were enslaved by other tribes and sold to Europeans can bitch about how tough they have it here (I see precious few coughing up airfare to Mombasa or Lagos to rectify the issue), I do not see why people whose families were slaughtered should not look askance at the orginization responsible, regardless of the passage of time.

My family reserves the right to observe traditions stemming from a period of slavery (by Africans, no less) that ended some 3,500 years ago. Our concept of history goes back a little more than the most recent 90 days - which seems to be the American cutoff.

BSBD,

Winsor

"Both were symbols for the losing side in a war that had racist roots."

Both Wars' roots were financial, not racial.

I think you'd have a hard time convincing 19th century American negroes and 20th century European jews of this.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm perfectly willing to believe they were financial, because slaves weren't people, they were assets. The war was fought, in part, because of that disconnect.

The economy of some of the South was reliant on slave labor; that's definitely an economic impact. But it's disingenuous to say there isn't a racial component to it as well. The fact that one side didn't consider that to be relevant because they weren't people doesn't make that true.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

http://www.angelfire.com/my/abrahamlincoln/Quotes.html

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union." (Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862)

A factor in the conflict? Of course it was. The reason why it was fought? Absolutely not.

Germany went to war for financial reasons, plain & simple.

>It's a sign of pride, heritage, history. It's used by douche bags who do not know the
>real meaning . . .

Agreed. Problem is you never know whether the person flying it is a douche bag or not.

That does not mean:

1. That it should be banned
2. That you can assume that everyone is a douche bag that has one.

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union." (Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862)

A factor in the conflict? Of course it was. The reason why it was fought? Absolutely not.

Revising history are we?
Let me ask you...Had the issue of secession not been the reason, would there have been a war?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Revising history are we?
Let me ask you...Had the issue of secession not been the reason, would there have been a war?

Sees like, someone, somewhere, is trying to 'revise' some portion or another of our history. In regard to the 'Stars and Bars', just like the U.S. flag, has been met with some form of abuse. Someone got their feelings hurt because they saw the Stars and Bars as something else. They never thought to research the real meaning of the flag. To me, it's a symbol of the South and if, the South is so bad, why are so many people from all-over flocking to live in the South? When they get there, they want it like the place they left behind. :S

Chuck

>why are so many people from all-over flocking to live in the South? When they get
>there, they want it like the place they left behind.

Yep. I think that's a nearly universal desire in people - to make a new home like the old one.

...and that's why, all the towns and big cities look like 'cookie-cutters'. They're losing their 'individuality'. If, they want what they had... why move?

Chuck

I'm not revising anything. It's all in the books. Read it. Yes, there still would have been a war.

OK. We differ.
Maybe we are not reading the same books. We differ on the reasons and we differ on the supposition question I proposed to you.

None of the books I read said, in paraphrase, "we're going to war to stop the South's stance on slavery."

The books I read said, in paraphrase, "We are going to war to assert Federal authority to prevent the dissolution of the union of states", on the one side, and on the other, in paraphrase, "We are going to war to assert state's rights of self-determination."

As long as we are talking of President Lincoln's quotes, here's couple from his 1861 Inaugural Address that seemingly conflict....

- "I hold that, in contemplation of universal law and of the Constitution, the Union of these States is perpetual. Perpetuity is implied, if not expressed, in the fundamental law of all national governments. It is safe to assert that no government proper ever had a provision in its organic law for its own termination."

- "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it."

Yep. I think that's a nearly universal desire in people - to make a new home like the old one.

...and that's why, all the towns and big cities look like 'cookie-cutters'. They're losing their 'individuality'. If, they want what they had... why move?

We could all move to the cold-ass north and change things around up there, right?

Ummmmm....No.
:D:D:D

I say let the Canadians move south just a little...but not too much.

We could all move to the cold-ass north and change things around up there, right?

Ummmmm....No.
:D:D:D

I say let the Canadians move south just a little...but not too much.

Always thinkin'... aren't you? :D:D

Chuck

The books I read said, in paraphrase, "We are going to war to assert Federal authority to prevent the dissolution of the union of states", on the one side, and on the other, in paraphrase, "We are going to war to assert state's rights of self-determination."

It's not a book but I suggest you read this--it is South Carolina's Declaration of Succession:
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"