skinnay

Man Faces 75 Years in Prison for Videotaping Police in Public

Hi skinnay,

I live in Oregon & it only takes the consent of one of the parties to legally make an audio recording.

However, there are many statutes that make it illegal to audio record any law enforcement officer.

The local newspaper had an article on this subject a few weeks ago and it does seem as though this state will soon make it legal to audio & video tape any law enforcement officer at any time. The article said that it may happen by legislation or by court ruling. My preference is that it be by court ruling.

I am thinking that this guy in IL will win when & if it gets to court; no matter how loud the police holler & scream about it.

And this is why I donate to the ACLU every year.

JerryBaumchen

PS) And since this is SC; I feel that we have reached a point in this country where the police have become a 'us against them' mentality. And I add, not all of them thankfully.

I am thinking that this guy in IL will win when & if it gets to court; no matter how loud the police holler & scream about it.

And, if it happens that way, I'd love to see the screamers pay ALL his expenses.
Sucks that it comes down to money.

PS) And since this is SC; I feel that we have reached a point in this country where the police have become a 'us against them' mentality. And I add, not all of them thankfully.

[:/]
I guess I'm more of a cynic than you are. I've believed that for years and years.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

This is why DA's are at the top of my legal shit list. Cops can't charge him or try him. That's the DA's job. It's a DA asking for the sentence.

In my opinion, this is a sign that our freedoms ARE under assault. I hope that the courts do not have to fix this but that the legilsatures fix it first.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

And, if it happens that way, I'd love to see the screamers pay ALL his expenses.
Sucks that it comes down to money.

I guess I'm more of a cynic than you are. I've believed that for years and years.

Some people do seem to have blinders and are unwilling to see what i going on around them. They think that police harrassment of those "who do not matter" is just fine. The worm turns though when they... thinking that THEY are "people who matter" run into one of the sadists in blue and get to see where the country has been going for quite a while now.

Not all of the police have reached that mentality.. but they do seem to protect them with the US vs. THEM mentality.

Those laws are ridiculous. They're wrong because (A) they prevent third patries from recording events in public (B) they create inequity by allowing one party to record and not the other (C) they make it illegal for a person to record his own actions. They are particularly despicable because they can be twisted to mean anything.

Of course that wouldn't matter if people elected representatives to correct the law or DAs that wouldn't indict or try this type of case, but that's expecting far too much.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Top comment on the page was an update that the charges got dropped, Judge ruled them as Unconstitutional, and I think rightly so.

Matt

Glad to hear that the charges were dropped. However, that the law is still on the books is a problem.

If you don't understand that the reason the bill introduced by (R) Rep. Chapin Rose was shot down in comity was because the highly democratic Illinois legislature was bought off by the Police Unions, then you are fooling your self.

I've will keep harping at the evils of a unionized police force until someone finally gets it.

And as long as you keep voting for public sector unions, understand that you will never fix the police force. That lump they just gave you? You asked for it.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Hi goose,

And as long as you keep voting for public sector unions, understand that you will never fix the police force.

IMO to get control of any police dep't. you have to de-certify their union.

I spent 30 yrs with the federal gov't. and they do not recognize any union ( that I know of ). Anyone remember what happened to the air traffic controllers when the union told them to go on strike? One of the few good things that I think Reagan did.

Just my thoughts . . .

JerryBaumchen

Hi Kennedy,

(B) they create inequity by allowing one party to record and not the other

This was the very basis for the argument in the article; only one party could legally tape/record and that makes it unfair.

JerryBaumchen

I asked a few retired PD Friends about the law and its variants. Most "think" it is to protect the Officers from current or future undercover work and from reprisals by organized crime types. A few even think that it would have protected the Officers from harassement activities like "DOX" that OWS and "Anonymous" employ.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Hi Kennedy,

(B) they create inequity by allowing one party to record and not the other

This was the very basis for the argument in the article; only one party could legally tape/record and that makes it unfair.

JerryBaumchen

I asked a few retired PD Friends about the law and its variants. Most "think" it is to protect the Officers from current or future undercover work and from reprisals by organized crime types. A few even think that it would have protected the Officers from harassement activities like "DOX" that OWS and "Anonymous" employ. Matt

Yeah, that's become the standard talking point. It's bullshit, of course.

It may have had validity back when some of the laws got passed, not so much now.

The actions of Anonymous and OWS's DOX team, I would think is harassment tough. Posting the UC Police Officers credit info, home address, all phone numbers, e-mails etc etc. Didn't some kid just go to jail over hacking and posting e-mails recently?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!