JohnRich

The most violent country in Europe: Britain

News:

"Britain's violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European union, it has been revealed. Official crime figures show the UK also has a worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and even South Africa - widely considered one of the world's most dangerous countries..."
Full story: Daily Mail

worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and even South Africa

Having lived in South Africa and the UK I can tell you right now that that is total nonsense.

Lies damn lies and statistics.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

While one can argue about what "Europe" is and whether eastern Europe really is Europe, or claim John's subject is poorly worded, the article specifies the EU. Serbia is not a member state.

Being from the US and having spent time in the UK and elsewhere, I have to say that most of both are wonderful places where I don't worry for my safety. Comparing city to city, though, I've seen more violence in England than in the US, but I've seen more severe violence in the US. I don't have a hard time believing the UK has more violent crime but the US has worse violent crime. Neither has anything on Mexico, central American countries, or most other "knife cultures".
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

But criminologists say crime figures can be affected by many factors, including different criminal justice systems and differences

In Britain, an affray is considered a violent crime, while in other countries it will only be logged if a person is physically injured.

So it seems to be the case that the Brits are rather quick with calling something "a violent crime" Either way, the quality of this piece of "journalism", seems to be about as good as it's hysterical headline.

News:

"Britain's violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European union, it has been revealed. Official crime figures show the UK also has a worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and even South Africa - widely considered one of the world's most dangerous countries..."
Full story: Daily Mail

Thanks, JR. W/o your *news*, we would be lost in this world.

And your point on the above is ..... ???

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Cus the genocide in Serbia etc.. was just a picnic really - no violent crimes committed there[:/]

For the record, there was no genocide in Serbia. But what do I know, according to most of you out west, I live seem to live between Pakistan and Iran :|
dudeist skydiver #42