wayneflorida

Feds warn of small airplane terror threats

Yes, but look what Pussy Galore could have done with a Cherokee 140. if it hadn't been for James Bond.

Not that I blame you, but the lengths some people will go to just to reference that name!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

***Your assertion that the antique aircraft hitting the Empire state is comparable is not plausible. That a/c was travelling at a far slower speed, carried far less energy to the impact, had less fuel which probably splashed all over the exterior of the building and that fuel carried far less energy. Apples and Oranges. Do NOT try to lay that nanothermite crap on this thread.

We're talking about government interference with the privilege to operate a light aircraft legally. We are not talking about conspiracies. We are talking about a government agency with too much power and not enough of substance to act upon so they mess with the little guy.

jon

If you believe the official conspiracy theory of 9-11 grounding of all GA aircraft is probably warranted as are many other anti terr measures.

If you don't believe the gov;t version , not so much.

What is obvious is that it was scripted.

Otherwise one would have to believe that the best military in the world, one we pay billions of dollars per year to maintain, couldn't deal with the threat of 4 passenger planes.

Do you think that'll hold up in court?

I don't know.

What I do know is that Dick Cheney is on the record reporting
that the Secret Service grabbed him by the belt and the arm and forced him to a secure location.

The President was left for about 20 minutes more in an unsecure location which had been announced to the world days earlier.

Either the Secret Service knew he was not a target or they failed miserably despite all of their training to perform the one task for which they are assigned.

Otherwise one would have to believe that the best military in the world, one we pay billions of dollars per year to maintain, couldn't deal with the threat of 4 passenger planes.

It certainly could handle them the same way the Soviets handled KAL 007. Are you sure you'd prefer that collateral damage?

LOL! !!!

Cheney reports that on 9-11 he did give orders to shoot down any plane not complying with the mandatory stand down .
Would I prefer 199 deaths instead of 3000? Absolutely!
You?

What is obvious is that it was scripted.

Do you think that'll hold up in court?

I don't know.

Well c'mon dude...you need to know. This isn't religion where we can just claim faith and call it the day.

We need proof...how about we drop some acid and take one of those magical mystery tours back in time...I'll bring a camera.;)

What I do know is that Dick Cheney is on the record reporting
that the Secret Service grabbed him by the belt and the arm and forced him to a secure location.

The President was left for about 20 minutes more in an unsecure location

This actually goes to support the whole "no child left behind" theory that I elluded to earlier...remember?

Would you want this guy for president?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueh_1PeJhaQ&feature=related

Why else would they grab Dick and not bush? Because they are gay?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

From article:
The alert, issued ahead of the summer's last busy travel weekend, said terrorists have considered renting private planes and loading them with explosives.

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-warn-small-airplane-terror-threats-003115875.html

I heard this story on the news the other day and a small airport owner was interviewed in regard to the small aircraft/terrorist subject. The airport owner stated that his place was just too small for anything like that.
In 1998, I was rigging for a small DZ at a small Panhandle airport in a cotton farming community. One Saturday, I was at the DZ and noticed five young men, obviously, not from Texas. I got to talking with the airport owner and he told me that the five young men were student pilots from Egypt and that he was 'well compensated' for his instruction. I didn't think much of it until the airport owner told me that when they first showed-up, they explained that they had opportunities back in their home country to fly large passenger aircraft but they only needed to know how to fly one way! The airport owner just blew it off as their form of humor.
Three years later, 9/11 occurred. Those planes were flown... one way.
I would say, no small airport is immune.

Chuck

It certainly could handle them the same way the Soviets handled KAL 007. Are you sure you'd prefer that collateral damage?

LOL! !!!

Cheney reports that on 9-11 he did give orders to shoot down any plane not complying with the mandatory stand down .
You?

This doesn't actually solve the problem, since he wouldn't have given those shoot orders, or stand down orders, until after 3 of the planes at a minimum had crashed.

No, if you wanted this prevented, then you'd need to have patrolling fighter planes in every metropolitan area and set very specific flight corridors, with any deviations met by stern resistance (read one warning and then a sidewinder launch). Private GA flying would need to be banned in populated areas. Already relegated out of major airports to the suburban/rural, now the flying would be equally restricted.

And figure 1-2 planes shot down per year in error. Sound good, comrade?

LOL! !!!

You?

This doesn't actually solve the problem, since he wouldn't have given those shoot orders, or stand down orders, until after 3 of the planes at a minimum had crashed.

No, if you wanted this prevented, then you'd need to have patrolling fighter planes in every metropolitan area and set very specific flight corridors, with any deviations met by stern resistance (read one warning and then a sidewinder launch). Private GA flying would need to be banned in populated areas. Already relegated out of major airports to the suburban/rural, now the flying would be equally restricted.

***And figure 1-2 planes shot down per year in error. Sound good, comrade?

What ever it takes to keep us safe!!! Isn't that the mantra?

Forget Freedom just give me security they say and damn the costs!!!

So are you now backing away from your prior claim? "Otherwise one would have to believe that the best military in the world, one we pay billions of dollars per year to maintain, couldn't deal with the threat of 4 passenger planes."

Tired of getting pwned left and right here?

Official: Al Qaeda Terror Threat Looking More Like a 'jgoose Chase'

Authorities haven't been able to corroborate any of info on possible Sept. 11 anniversary attack, leading a senior U.S. official to say it's looking 'less and less likely' while New York City and D.C. remain on high alert.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/10/new-york-dc-step-up-security-in-face-credible-terror-threat/

M.O.M.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The article should note that in 2009 956,846 cars were
stolen and nearly all, if not all, have a cargo capacity greater than
the aircraft that you are warning about. I have never heard of a
general aviation piston airplane being used as a weapon of terror. I
suspect that this is primarily due to the fact that the damage potential
from that tactic just isn't great enough to garner the reactions and
publicity that terrorist groups crave.

But the thing is, creating terror is more about the threat it can / will happen anywhere / anytime to anyone.

Road side IED's are cheap and effective but they don't carry the media effect that say, TEN 182's loaded with C4 and ball-bearings flown into 10 NFL games at the same time on the same day would...even if it only takes out 500 people per, the total loss of life is more than the WTC, and the fear factor would be 1000X's that of 9/11.

Then imagine them loaded with Dirty bombs...1/2 a million people would be directly affected...250 million in total fear with eyes constantly searching the skies.

In reality, private avataion would be a great way to throw a monkey wrench in the works from a terrorist's perspective.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~