tkhayes

It's been a week now....

Where did you get the idea that prayer automatically works overnight on such huge problems?

As for me, I'm an atheist.

That first quote does not sound like something an Atheist would say.

Edited to add: Are you suggesting God can knock out the small problems lickety split, but the huge one's can take some time?

...since Rick Perry hosted his huge prayer day or whatever-the-hell-it-was-called in Texas.
Anyone notice a huge drop in unemployment, or a massive reduction in the deficit? Have the country's morals changed? did ANYTHING change?

Oh lookie! Yet another Christian-bashing thread! We can't go two days here without one of those.

Where did you get the idea that prayer automatically works overnight on such huge problems?
Making a bush catch on fire is easy. Creating millions of new jobs takes a little longer.

Awesome! So if GOD can't create jobs overnight, then maybe some people can back off blaming Obama then. After all, he's not God.

------------------------------------------------------------
perhaps when Obama quits blaming the previous president for the state of the economy that'll happen.

This fear some people have of religious presidents is unfounded.

No it's not. we are deathly afraid in this country of extreme islamic terrorists and the threat of islamic law taking over. We invade other countries who have Islam as their main religion. We send troops and then send organizations right behind them with Bibles to convert the masses.

If you think there is a difference between a radicalized Muslim and a radicalized Christian......well, I have no idea what to say.

Call me a bigot if you want. It's not just Christians. It's ALL religion. I do not want it in my government. not all at, not even a bit of it.

Rick Perry and Michelle Bachman are nothing short of dangerous. Mike Huckabee is/was too. The good news is the more fo these nutjobs they put up on the front lines of the Republican Party, the better off the liberal odds of doing well in the elections.

And as far as Christians being good folks - sure some are, and some are not. My argument would be that they are neither any better nor any worse than any other facet or demographic of society. But they sure like to put themselves above all the rest....and they like to dictate the way the country should be run based on the Bible.

Find me a good Christian, I will find you a bad one. Find me a bad atheist and I will find you a good one.

Nothing to do with Christianity other than having it openly penetrate the running of the country. If it would Islam or witchcraft, i would have the same argument.

bigot it is.....whatever.:S

Nothing to do with Christianity other than having it openly penetrate the running of the country. If it would Islam or witchcraft, i would have the same argument.

Yeah, about that.... when's that going to happen, anyway? Y'all have only been squawking about it for the last few *decades*.

Oh, of *course* not.... y'all keep telling us that only *conservatives* can be bigots...remember?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

whatever, again, if you are going to quote me, then QUOTE me. otherwise, it's just gibberish.

And yes, I have been squawking about religion for decades. Looks like I might have to squawk about it for decades more....

You've been squawking about liberals - does that make you a bigot too?

>It's bigotry, because some of you are taking the actions of a very few Christians, and
>using that to extrapolate to the behavior of all Christians. It's just like characterizing
>all Muslims as being as strict as the Taliban. And that's dishonest. But somehow you
>guys think it's okay to do that to Christians in general...

Can we take this as an indication that you will stop doing the same to Muslims? If so, great! I see that as progress overall.

whatever, again, if you are going to quote me, then QUOTE me. otherwise, it's just gibberish.

And yes, I have been squawking about religion for decades. Looks like I might have to squawk about it for decades more....

With the same lack of proof for your arguments, I presume.

You've been squawking about liberals - does that make you a bigot too?

Not when it's true....sorry about your argument, there.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yeah, about that.... when's that going to happen, anyway? Y'all have only been squawking about it for the last few *decades*.

Oh, of *course* not.... y'all keep telling us that only *conservatives* can be bigots...remember?

Not "only", just more likely.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent." - Joe Biden

Mahatma Gandhi "ran a gas station down in Saint Louis." - Hillary Clinton

Some junior high n*gger kicked Steve's ass while he was trying to help his brothers out; junior high or sophomore in high school. Whatever it was, Steve had the n*gger down. However it was, it was Steve's fault. He had the n*gger down, he let him up. The n*gger blindsided him." - Roger Clinton

"You'd find these potentates from down in Africa, you know, rather than eating each other, they'd just come up and get a good square meal in Geneva." - Fritz Hollings (D)

"Is you their black-haired answer-mammy who be smart? Does they like how you shine their shoes, Condoleezza? Or the way you wash and park the whitey's cars?" - Neil Rogers
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent." - Joe Biden

Some junior high n*gger kicked Steve's ass while he was trying to help his brothers out; junior high or sophomore in high school. Whatever it was, Steve had the n*gger down. However it was, it was Steve's fault. He had the n*gger down, he let him up. The n*gger blindsided him." - Roger Clinton

"You'd find these potentates from down in Africa, you know, rather than eating each other, they'd just come up and get a good square meal in Geneva." - Fritz Hollings (D)

"Is you their black-haired answer-mammy who be smart? Does they like how you shine their shoes, Condoleezza? Or the way you wash and park the whitey's cars?" - Neil Rogers

You've already admitted in this forum that you know nothing of statistics.

Attacking the poster and not the argument? How ..... very like you.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Attacking the poster and not the argument? How ..... very like you.

How is it an attack to repeat something you've previously told us about yourself?

How is it an attack to repeat something you've previously told us about yourself?

When you use it in a derogatory fashion - which is, in fact the only way you've ever used the statement.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

t a boat once held all animal life on the planet. They vote.

I wish He had left off the mosquitos.

Think globally: if there were no mosquitos, there'd be no bats. No bats, no Batman.

Hmmmmmm. Good point.
But really now, did He HAVE to let her stink up the fish like that?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Christians are awesome.
I guess this one needed some "angel dust" to get home.
:S

Sure was nice of his congregation to support his habit of hookers and blow!
:S:S:S

I need a congregation........:)

:D:D
The real crime is how you bastardized the article with the conjured-up sensationalism.

Most American presidents have been Christians, and none of them just sat around and prayed for things to happen. They mostly all turned out to be pretty good. Some not so good, like Obama and Carter, despite their religion. In fact, no American president has ever been an athiest, and yet despite their religious beliefs, they made America free, they won World Wars, brought the country out of Depression, put a man on the moon, and built the greatest nation in the history of the world. Damn those Christians! :S

This fear some people have of religious presidents is unfounded. Even if they wanted to create a "christian taliban" society, our political system would not allow that to occur. So all this really shows is the unjustified bigotry that some people have towards Christians.

As for me, I'm an atheist. But I'll happily speak out against bigotry, wherever I see it, even when it occurs against groups with whom I don't share a common belief.

It's bigotry, because some of you are taking the actions of a very few Christians, and using that to extrapolate to the behavior of all Christians. It's just like characterizing all Muslims as being as strict as the Taliban. And that's dishonest. But somehow you guys think it's okay to do that to Christians in general...

Christians are good folks. They may believe in a divine being, while I don't, but so what? They believe in family values, honesty and helping others. Me too. What's so horrible about that? I have no problems with any of the Christians that I know. So it's hard for me to understand the intense hatred that I see some people here exhibit towards them.

Dang, John! Good stuff!
Too bad the anti-religion zealots refuse to hear you because of the anti-religion shouting going on. Jaws flappin', ears closed....

New term: Religiophobes?

Dang, John! Good stuff!
Too bad the anti-religion zealots refuse to hear you because of the anti-religion shouting going on. Jaws flappin', ears closed....

I have heard too many people recommend horrible fates for other groups, using their "faith" as a basis. Admittedly, being a member of the groups in question somewhat slants my perspective, but I am unimpressed nonetheless.

The track record of various popular religions has too many instances of them acting out on said sentiments for me to have an awful lot of tolerance for their stance.

This works both ways; tolerance is the hallmark of mediocrity. If someone cannot accept me, I have no interest in their tolerance.

People like to see their delusions as being largely benign, which is understandable. That the road to hell is paved with good intentions is an unfortunate reality, and anything as intoxicating as religious fervor is, by nature, toxic.

Christianity as a whole has worked long and hard to earn the contempt in which it is held. When non-christians speak well of the church and its adherents, it is often from the same point of view that one addresses an individual tweaked on meth holding a razor sharp knife - saying anything to keep them from going into violent mode is a good idea.

If the track record of christians was truly one of sweetness and light, viewing the movement with suspicion would, in fact, be bigotry. Given, however, that the spread of christianity has all too often been by means of genocide, slavery and truly evil means, taking a dim view of christianity is simply realistic (the same it true for the bulk of universal religions).

Granted, all variants of christianity are not interchangeable, but the difference is about as great as what you are liable to step in in a kennel or in a stable.

Be advised, I am not trying to sway anyone to my way of thinking, since anyone could figure it out by themselves if they wanted to. My point is to express my longstanding distaste for the sanctimonious assholes who have felt compelled to try to do my thinking for me - and are singularly unqualified to do so in any event.

Christians are on the short list.

BSBD,

Winsor

Dang, John! Good stuff!

Thank you Pops - it's nice to know there are a few out there who recognize the voice of reason.
I like your new term - I may use it!

Christianity as a whole has worked long and hard to earn the contempt in which it is held...
the spread of christianity has all too often been by means of genocide, slavery...

The problem I have with your view is that you're using Christianity as it existed hundreds of years ago, and longer. They're no longer enslaving foreign populations to convert them to their faith. They're no longer conducting Crusades to lop off the heads of non-believers. You should not hold the actions of Christians from a thousand years ago against modern-day mainstream Christians who simply worship their own beliefs in their private churches and lead their lives according to good wholesome values. Christians have gotten over using violence for religion. You should get over blaming them for what happened long ago in the past.

The Christians of today use the political system to express their views and advocate for their beliefs. That's what it's there for, no different than any other special interest groups. It's a peaceful process, and the proper way to do things. But some people even begrudge them participation in that process, as if they have no right to express or advocate for their viewpoints. And that's wrong. Everyone deserves to have their ideas heaard, and then let the voters decide, and the three branches of government do its work.

Christian presidents have managed to serve this country pretty darned well over the last 236 years.

Percentage of jobs created...
Texas 51 %
rest of the country 49%

Get the picture ? :P

Texas under Perry has the fourth-highest poverty rate of any state. It tied with Mississippi last year for the highest percentage of workers in minimum-wage jobs. It ranks first in adults without high school diplomas. Twenty-six percent of Texans have no health insurance — the highest percentage of medically uninsured residents of any state. It leads the nation in the percentage of children who lack medical insurance. Texas has an inordinate number of employers who provide no insurance to their workers, partly because insurance rates are high, thanks to an absence of regulations.

In 2008, the state comptroller found that 12 percent of Texans lacked high school diplomas and that the level would rise to 30 percent by 2040 unless the state’s commitment to education was considerably increased. This year, though, Perry slashed $4billion from K-12 schools. In this regard, the equation of Perry with China’s leaders is unfair to China: The Chinese understand that the better educated their people become, the more high-skill and high-compensating jobs their nation will attain.

The giant sucking sound Perot warned about is actually coming from Perry's Texas.