tkhayes

ParaHog apparently has problem with Obama

FWIW my take is that by opening an account for the sake of trolling, a thread about the trolls alter ego is not the same as a thread about a poster.

As every regular poster knows that this is a troll identity, it "could" have been a fun thread in the feed the troll kind of way.

I am not good at figuring out who is who when these spook accounts are created, so I have no idea who the real identity is behind this user name.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Yes, I expect you do to do your job as a moderator and close a thread that is specifically about another poster, against the rules as per the sticky at the top of the forum.

Ok, just so I'm 100% completely clear here and there are NO mistakes whatsoever, from now on, in my dealings with you, you're asking me to have a NO TOLERANCE policy regarding your posts. Is that correct? Is that what I'm reading? That if you drive 50.0001 mph in the 50 mph zone, you want me to deal with you as harshly as the rules allow. Is that correct?

Further, you want me to apply that same NO TOLERANCE approach to all your friends like, for instance, JohnRich and Gravitymaster.

Is that what you're asking me to do?

Odd, I thought you said upthread that you were even-handed in your moderation? I seem to recall you making the same sort of gambit in response to a remark about your moderation. If your skin is that thin, maybe you should hang up the green text.

No, Paul - I'm asking you to enforce the damn rules evenly. If you're going to deal harshly with me, JR and GM at '50.001 mph', then you'd damn well better deal with TK, 'Zon and jclalor at '50.001 mph' as well.

Conversely, since you've already shown that you don't have a problem with TK making a poster-specific thread, I would expect no penalty to befall myself, JR or GM for making a poster-specific thread....since you're all even-handed and stuff in your moderation...right?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Conversely, since you've already shown that you don't have a problem with TK making a poster-specific thread, I would expect no penalty to befall myself, JR or GM for making a poster-specific thread....since you're all even-handed and stuff in your moderation...right?

Tell ya what, the next "left wing liberal looney" sock puppet you see on this web site that pops up and starts making more than vaguely racist comments about the President of the US (past, present or future) . . . feel free to make a thread about it and call him (meaning the sock puppet) out on his behavior.

On that, you have my permission from this day forward.

So it is written, so shall it be done. The wish is granted. Long live Jambi.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Tell ya what, the next "left wing liberal looney" sock puppet you see on this web site that pops up and starts making more than vaguely racist comments about the President of the US (past, present or future) . . . feel free to make a thread about it and call him (meaning the sock puppet) out on his behavior.

So it is written, so it shall be done. The wish is granted. Long live Jambi.

I must have missed where Tom's post mentioned that it was ok to do if it was a sockpuppet...can you point that part out for me?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yes, I expect you do to do your job as a moderator and close a thread that is specifically about another poster, against the rules as per the sticky at the top of the forum.

Hey Mike, if you actually read the sticky, you might just notice that there is no rule stating any threads about other users are forbidden or that all posts about other users will be deleted.

What it says is that the moderation team are not stupid, and are well aware that those posts are usually vehicles for PAs therefore they will be given extremely short shrift. Now, if you can discern any form of PA from TK in this thread, then by all means piss and moan about unequal moderation. Otherwise, you might be well served to actually read the rulebook before you make a stand over it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

It's just tiresome and makes you look like a five-year-old girl with . . . well, you should understand by now.

I think that is called "Sand in the Mangina"
:ph34r:

Maybe they like it. You know, for that extra bit of stimulation;)
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

So it is written, so it shall be done. The wish is granted. Long live Jambi.

I must have missed where Tom's post mentioned that it was ok to do if it was a sockpuppet...can you point that part out for me?

Oh wait! You're STILL asking for a NO TOLERANCE policy?

My god, you are insistent; aren't you? Even after I granted you free reign to call out sock puppets making more than vaguely racist comments too.

Hmmm, how to deal with this? It is a conundrum. On the one hand, I guess I -could- close the thread, but then I'd have to permaban whoever the sock puppets were; wouldn't I? Is that -really- what you're asking me to do? I'm not 100% certain your friends would appreciate you asking me to do that to them, but I mean, if you really insist I'll do it.

Tell you what, why don't you consult with them first while I meditate on the meaning of fairness in the world.

I'll get back with you later tonight and if you guys REALLY, REALLY want that NO TOLERANCE POLICY in place, I'll do it, but like I said, you might want to check in with your friends John Rich and Gravitymaster first.
quade -

Where did I advocate anything beside closing this thread, Paul? Can you manage to argue from an honest position for once?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Where did I advocate anything beside closing this thread, Paul? Can you manage to argue from an honest position for once?

Well, this is earlier than expected.

Oh? So . . . now you're changing your tune and will allow the moderation staff to make a fair judgement based on the actual situation rather than some strict adherence to a "rule" that actually doesn't exist in the first place.

Cool. Glad you finally came around and see it my way, because honestly, the NO TOLERANCE thing some other people might press for is kind of silly. See we're in agreement! Awesome.
quade -

I'm sure he can, just as others probably ought to follow the one about not creating new accounts to attempt to get around bans.

Ya follow my drift?

The drift being... it is OK for people to break the rules?

I don't understand, Tom's thread is quite clear. It is the number one sticky >>> in the speakers corner.

Now you are contributing to the thread without intervention, rather than deleting it, as it is quite clearly in breach of the rules.

You continuine the thread using surmising ad hominem, then allow the thread to continue for your own pleasure rather than setting an example?

That drifrt?
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

That drifrt?

No. The drift that I can easily see what IP address a poster is using and that if, for instance, they had been REPEATEDLY BANNED ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION themselves for using sock puppet accounts, then they probably ought to STFU about "rules" that aren't exactly rules and a strict a NO TOLERANCE policy.

I mean, a person would have to be a pretty big fuckin' idiot to do that; wouldn't he? Because certainly it would only lead to his own banning.

If, uh, you catch my drift.

BTW, your signature line is in violation. You might want to fix that.
quade -

I don't understand, Tom's thread is quite clear.

Yes, it is. It says that threads about other posters will be watched very closely, will be deleted without warning if they are deemed to be veiled or overt PAs, and that generally speaking you probably shouldn't bother in the first place.

It does not say that any and all threads about other posters are against the rules and will be deleted.

a thread that is quite clearly in breach of the rules.

Or not.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Oh? So . . . now you're changing your tune

Changing my tune would imply that I had advocated something besides closing the thread in the first place. That, of course, would be a lie.

Amazing, the twisting of words you have to do to make yourself look good, Paul. You're a real piece of work.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It's just tiresome and makes you look like a five-year-old girl with . . . well, you should understand by now.

I think that is called "Sand in the Mangina"
:ph34r:

Maybe they like it. You know, for that extra bit of stimulation;)

If so, they sure have a taste for roughness! :D

Chuck

16 post and no profile, your not to be taken seriously.

If you're judging the validity of people's political opinions based upon the number of posts they make, then you're way off base. Just sayin'. Making more posts here, does not increase how smart you are. In fact, it might just make you dumber, judging by the low quality of some of the frequent posters. So I would advise ignoring that kind of info in judging a post, and just judge it on its on content. But whatidunno, I've only got 20 posts...

Actually if you want to stop sockpuppet accounts, just post a list of all accounts grouped by IP. >:(

It's a bit more complicated than that, but you know how the CIA doesn't discuss "sources and methods"? Yeah, we're not doing that here either.
quade -

Changing my tune would imply that I had advocated something besides closing the thread in the first place. That, of course, would be a lie.

Amazing, the twisting of words you have to do to make yourself look good, Paul. You're a real piece of work.

Careful now, that's getting awfully close to a personal attack and because of your wish for absolute, strict, NO TOLERANCE attitudes in moderation, I'd hate to have to ban you for hurting my feelings.
quade -

Careful now, that's getting awfully close to a personal attack and because of your wish for absolute, strict, NO TOLERANCE attitudes in moderation, I'd hate to have to ban you for hurting my feelings.

Thanks for proving my point again, Paul.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And thank you for proving mine!

You want things to be "fair" and rules to be strictly followed to the letter (even though in this case no such rule actually exists) and you want that to apply to others, but I'm nearly certain you don't want that to be applied to you and your friends int he same way.

Did you really think that was fair? Really?
quade -

You want things to be "fair" and rules to be strictly followed to the letter (even though in this case no such rule actually exists) and you want that to apply to others, but I'm nearly certain you don't want that to be applied to you and your friends int he same way.

Funny how you ONLY mention "me and my friends" for that strict interpretation.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Funny how you ONLY mention "me and my friends" for that strict interpretation.

No, sir. If YOU want ME to strictly apply a rule to another users, again a rule that doesn't actually exist, then YOU are obviously asking ME to apply all rules to yourself and your friends in the same manner. YOU are. Not me.

YOU and some of your friends have recently used the tactic of claiming the moderation staff here isn't applying the rules fairly across the board. That's a pretty serious charge, but it's bullshit because I have in fact cut them quite a bit of slack recently for violating an actual rule that carries with it the permanent banning of the users from the site.

YOU don't want a moderator's judgement to come into play in what is and isn't fair. Well, guess what? That's our freakin' business. That's what we do every freakin' day here.

And we do it pretty darn fairly.

Grow a set and stop whining about it. Nobody is going to lose their life if this thread isn't locked and that user isn't banned for life because you got your little feelings hurt in an argument over some trivial piece of bullshit in this forum.

If somebody actually does something egregious, don't worry, we'll deal with it. Until then, take a deep breath, count to five and give it a rest FFS.

It's not manly for you to complain so much about shit that just doesn't f'in' matter. It never has been and it never will be.

It's just the f'in' internet.

"Lighten up, Francis."
quade -