RonD1120

Obama = Cancer!

Nothing disingenuous about it. It's a legitimate source of confusion in the English language.

oh, no doubt, especially when written. Verbally, the inflection tends to help.

But come on - you knew what was intended. You're just playing dumb here to claim it was confusing. Why not stick to the actual subject, rather than destroy the thread (amazingly effectively, I'll grant)? No where in that obit did it say Obama = cancer.

I stated 25% to prevent a single 'spoiler' from skewing the results. If you're so positive you're right, where's the problem, Paul?

If you're worried about a "single 'spoiler'," then why 25%? Why place the threshold anywhere higher than say . . . 2%

Lest anyone think I pulled that number out of my ass, it's the percentage of people in the US that make over $250,000 per year and yet is frequently cited by folks in this thread as being an amount that is still considered by them to be "normal." So surely if more than 2% use something, that clearly would fall into "normal," wouldn't it?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I stated 25% to prevent a single 'spoiler' from skewing the results. If you're so positive you're right, where's the problem, Paul?

If you're worried about a "single 'spoiler'," then why 25%? Why place the threshold anywhere higher than say . . . 2%

Lest anyone think I pulled that number out of my ass, it's the percentage of people in the US that make over $250,000 per year and yet is frequently cited by folks in this thread as being an amount that is still considered by them to be "normal." So surely if more than 2% use something, that clearly would fall into "normal," wouldn't it?

Do you really think you're going to get 100 unique responders to your question?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I have no idea. The web site does currently have, 98668 users. I'm not certain how many of those meet your other stipulation of English being there primary language, but in either case, a percentage is a percentage.

I realize you think 25% is the proper threshold, but just as you are concerned with a "single 'spoiler'" I would be concerned with some cronies of yours ballot stuffing.

What do you think is a fair percentage to get around both those issues?
quade -

I have no idea. The web site does currently have, 98668 users. I'm not certain how many of those meet your other stipulation of English being there primary language, but in either case, a percentage is a percentage.

I realize you think 25% is the proper threshold, but just as you are concerned with a "single 'spoiler'" I would be concerned with some cronies of yours ballot stuffing.

What do you think is a fair percentage to get around both those issues?

Make it an open thread instead of a poll - have them explain their reasoning.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Wait, wait, wait. So now, it not only has to pass the 25% threshold, but they have to explain their reasoning? Or are you saying that if a couple of people explain their reasoning, then you'll agree it's a confusing use of the word?
quade -

Where I come from . . .

And where I come from when the teller at the bank says, "Next" the first person in line walks up to the counter, not the second person in line. The first one, you know, the next one. ;)

That is a really crappy analogy.

If you say you're going to the boogie in November, or this November, then you mean the November that is approaching. Next November would mean the one after the one approaching. That is how it is actually used.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Wait, wait, wait. So now, it not only has to pass the 25% threshold, but they have to explain their reasoning? Or are you saying that if a couple of people explain their reasoning, then you'll agree it's a confusing use of the word?

Explaining the reasoning prevents a blind vote "spoiler".

You're doing an awful lot of complaining about numbers for someone that's so sure they're right.

If I said I was flying into LAX next Saturday and needed a ride, would you show up on 7/30 or 8/6?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Where I come from . . .

And where I come from when the teller at the bank says, "Next" the first person in line walks up to the counter, not the second person in line. The first one, you know, the next one. ;)

If you say you're going to the boogie in November, or this November, then you mean the November that is approaching. Next November would mean the one after the one approaching. That is how it is actually used.

Again, the dictionary says differently;
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/next
quade -

Where I come from . . .

Again, the dictionary says differently;
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/next

"Immediately following in time, order, importance"

That means it is not the current item, but the one following it.

The *next* customer, not the current one. The *next* week, not the current one.

Contrast, to this:

"used to indicate the nearer in time, place, or thought of two persons, things, etc.; opposed to that. "

Ergo *This* November is 11/2011. *Next* November is is 11/2012.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Where I come from . . .

Well, there you have it. You come from a strange place where customers are considered the same as points in time. It is a warp of the space time continuum with physical matter.

you people are fucking amazing. and ya both REALLY need to get out more, and stop posting:S:S:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

And if next means the one immediately following me writing this post, then the November immediately following me writing this post occurs in 2011.

Doesn't work that way - next is being used to modify November, not the time of your post.

From your own definition upthread:

"immediately following in time, order, importance, etc.: the next day; the next person in line. "

As an adjective, it modifies the noun (November) to specify the same (noun) following - not the current one.

Today's date (for you) is Friday, 29 July 2011.

The next day is Saturday - not Friday
The next month is August - not July
The next year is 2011 - not 2012

Ergo, "next November" is 2012, not 2011
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

- This Christmas I have to work, but next Christmas I have off.

- I should go to the cinema this weekend because next weekend I have to mow my lawn.

In your examples, you have established a timeline by referring the upcoming Christmas as 'this', and the current, or soon to arrive weekend as 'this'. Therefore, next is being used in the proper context.

If, let's say, on Monday a friend said to you that they will call you 'next Friday', you can expect the call on the upcoming Friday, not two weeks later. If the case were they would call in two weeks, the proper use of 'next' would be "I will call you on the Friday after next."

The proper use of 'next' in relation to timeline has been discussed on a number of word usage forums.
Google it.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

If, let's say, on Monday a friend said to you that they will call you 'next Friday', you can expect the call on the upcoming Friday, not two weeks later

I think you are wrong.

If you were to tell them to "call you on Friday", would they complain that they can't go back in time?

The answer is no, they would not, because the use of "this", or "next" is not needed in your scenario.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

This makes me crazy. If it's Monday and someone refers to next Friday, I think it means the next time it's Friday. How the hell can that mean not the next Friday but the one after that?

It's as ridiculous as the phrase "I could care less"
Owned by Remi #?

This makes me crazy. If it's Monday and someone refers to next Friday, I think it means the next time it's Friday. How the hell can that mean not the next Friday but the one after that?

So then, if it is Monday, someone referring to Friday, and someone referring to next Friday have the same meaning. That doesn't make sense to me.

So then, if it is Monday, someone referring to Friday, and someone referring to next Friday have the same meaning. That doesn't make sense to me.

What day did you make that posts? This Friday?
quade -

English is full of unclear phrasings. Next, without verbal inflection, is particularly open to either interpretation, though as seen in many examples, the preceding words can set the meaning.

It's silly to insist on an absolute here.