normiss

Awesome things "god" does.

As the little saying goes: "Being a Christian is walking into a bank and deciding not to rob it because God will punish you for it. Being an atheist is walking into a bank and deciding not to rob it because it's a dick thing to do."

One little problem that destroys your theory....there's a small difference between God's laws and Man's laws.
Apple/oranges.

You'll find most of the things God frowns upon in the bible are the same things that are regulated by law. At least in the commandments. As with the example above, robbing is wrong with both counts and yet you'll find many Christians who will say it's wrong because the bible says so, instead of being wrong because they know in their own mind it is.

If your flawed little theory had any substance, Christians would be the only people in the world who act with kind nature, and yet that's not the case.

Waaaaaaay off the mark. I wonder what is making you think that the combination of how one behaves and having religious beliefs results in a disclaimer for the aspects of those beliefs.

He has hinted several times that moral values come from religion and that non-believers are rogues who just want to escape punishment and be free to act as they please, which is total bullshit.

Why is it that people somehow tie common sense and basic human emotions and desires to religion.

I get the feeling that you really don't understand the basic concept of "religion"...of any type.

I get the feeling you must have missed about 30 posts in this thread and previous threads in SC which have directly stated that morals are the result of religion.

Just a misinformed way of trying to make the non-religious people seem like 'bad guys'.

Hmmmmm...because some bozos do that, you blame the religion itself? Why not focus on the bozos that attempt to make you feel that way? Do you really think that any religion is guidebook on how to make non-believers feel like "bad guys"?

Well the crux of the bible promotes the idea quite publicly that non-believers are lost and need help and that it's the Christians duty to save them from themselves.

Furthermore, your statement of "You choose not to believe because you will be held responsible" is just as an accurate statement as me saying you don't believe in Santa Clause because you don't want to have to be put on his 'naughty' list and you're just scared of his judgement.

Well, you missed the point. "held responsible" in this case means abiding by the tents of the religion. It has nothing to do with why.

If one commits to any religion, one commits to abiding by the tenets of that religion. It has nothing to do with WHY that decision was made.

Your scenario assumes that making the decision to commit to any religion is because you fear its "judgement", If that is true in any individual case, that person blew it and should have stayed the atheist or agnostic.

No, my statement is based on what the previous user stated. And that those who aren't religious are doing it because THEY are scared of the consequences that would occur if they were - which makes no sense at all and if anything works the other way around. And my analogy remains unchanged. I don't know how to make it any clearer to you, but there is no difference between him saying that and me saying that the reason YOU don't believe in Santa is because if you did you know that you'd not get any presents if you weren't well behaved.

I would love to believe, I'm sure most people would prefer an eternity of joy over just dying. But as per above, it doesn't matter how much you want to believe in Santa, once you're aware of the fact that he doesn't exist, .....

Well, there comes the tired old argument of the requirement for physical presence to prove existence. It'll never fly. Never has, never will.

That has nothing to do with physical proof being needed? It has to do with reaching a point where common sense kicks in and no matter how much you want to believe something, you know that it's not true and no amount of desire can make you believe again. If I told you that you had to believe in Santa now, you wouldn't be able to because you now know better, exactly the same principle.

As for following the laws of God, it's a joke. The so-called laws of God change every few decades depending on how liberal the church is feeling at the time or how progressive society is. Picking pieces out of the old testament and throwing others aside as they suit the believer. "Oh no, times changed, things are different now... that wasn't meant that way". People sure do a lot to manipulate these so-called laws of God to fit their desires.

Even you Christians with the same god damn faith are so divided on what each part stands for and which should be taken literally, sure you can say that it's a personal thing and everyone interperates it differently, but then one can't go talking about laws that are passed down through the bible, because then they need to be completely personal too and one can't use these laws to try justify someone's lack of belief.

The person who omits a passage from the bible for any reason is then just as Christian as the person who decides the entire bible is out-dated and the 'laws' of the bible were only important for social issues 2000 years ago.

As the little saying goes: "Being a Christian is walking into a bank and deciding not to rob it because God will punish you for it. Being an atheist is walking into a bank and deciding not to rob it because it's a dick thing to do."

One little problem that destroys your theory....there's a small difference between God's laws and Man's laws.
Apple/oranges.

You'll find most of the things God frowns upon in the bible are the same things that are regulated by law. At least in the commandments. As with the example above, robbing is wrong with both counts and yet you'll find many Christians who will say it's wrong because the bible says so, instead of being wrong because they know in their own mind it is.

The commandments were basically plagiarized anyway from earlier Egyptian and Babylonian laws (See Chapter 125 of the Book of the Dead). How's that for unethical behavior? Ripping off someone else's ideas and claiming they came from your so-called "God"!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Haha, that's almost as pathetic as saying that if there were no laws everyone would run around raping and killing everyone else. Quite an ignorant and baseless comment.

One doesn't need to be religious to act in a kind manner that avoids harming others

That’s not what I meant. What I was referring to is the fact that God sees your thought life and not just your actions. When you die, you will be judged according to His standard of righteousness and not societies or the person standing next to you. Religion has nothing to do with being good in the way you’re describing. Religion in and of itself can only lead to a form of self-righteousness which will be useless on the Day of Judgment. The born-again Christian who walks into a bank and decides not to rob it does not refrain primarily because it is against God’s law and he fears punishment (although, that is a very good reason not to). The born-again Christian doesn’t rob the bank because his nature has been changed, his conscience bears witness, and he desires to act more and more conformed to the image of Christ.

Haha, that's almost as pathetic as saying that if there were no laws everyone would run around raping and killing everyone else. Quite an ignorant and baseless comment.

One doesn't need to be religious to act in a kind manner that avoids harming others

That’s not what I meant. What I was referring to is the fact that God sees your thought life and not just your actions. When you die, you will be judged according to His standard of righteousness and not societies or the person standing next to you. Religion has nothing to do with being good in the way you’re describing. Religion in and of itself can only lead to a form of self-righteousness which will be useless on the Day of Judgment. The born-again Christian who walks into a bank and decides not to rob it does not refrain primarily because it is against God’s law and he fears punishment (although, that is a very good reason not to). The born-again Christian doesn’t rob the bank because his nature has been changed, his conscience bears witness, and he desires to act more and more conformed to the image of Christ.

So why do Hindus and Buddhists not rob banks?

So why do Hindus and Buddhists not rob banks?

What makes you think they don't?

Same as makes you think Christians don't.

I would think it very unlikely that a true believer in Christ would commit a crime such as bank robbery. Anyone, regardless of religion is capable of sinning against God, including the Christian. However, it is not in the Christian's new nature to do so. He would be acting in accordance with his old nature...but it would not manifest itself as a lifestyle. What I'm really talking about here is accountability. Everyone ultimately is accountable to God for what they have done in this lifetime regardless of which religion they adhere to. "It is appointed unto man once to die, then the judgment." Everyone stands guilty of breaking God's moral law and deserving of punishment. Infinite offense to a thrice holy God = infinite punishment (e.g. Hell). If you've ever in your life taken something that did not belong to you, God sees you as a thief. What are you going to do or say for yourself when you have to face God on Judgment Day?

You have very flawed logic in regards to religion. You apparently think it's exempt from needing any actual evidence of any kind to be credible.

What's flawed is your requirement for physical proof of existence of God. What's flawed is your requirement for physical proof of existence of anything. It's totally pointless to argue about the existence of God on a basis of physical proof.

Credibility of any religion is not the issue. If meeting your requirement for "credibility" is your stumbling block, then have at it....it'll never happen for you.

Do you really need a physical something that you can touch and see to believe in anything and everything?

Do you really require physical proof for the existence of any intangible?

OK...you don't get it, I understand that. You're not alone.

How about this. Will this help you feel better?
God does not exist in the physical world today as a body that you can touch and see. Now, what was it you wanted to argue about?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If your flawed little theory had any substance, Christians would be the only people in the world who act with kind nature, and yet that's not the case.

He has hinted several times that moral values come from religion and that non-believers are rogues....

Well, that's not answering the question of my wonder.
You seem to be saying:
Christians act with kind nature
Others act with kind nature
Therefore, because both groups act with kind nature, his point about Christian behavior is invalid.
Is that correct?

I get the feeling you must have missed about 30 posts in this thread and previous threads in SC which have directly stated that morals are the result of religion.

I get the feeling that you're depending on 30 DZ.com posts to define what your belief of what morals are and where they come from.

Well the crux of the bible promotes the idea quite publicly that non-believers are lost and need help and that it's the Christians duty to save them from themselves.

Close but no cigar. Christian duty to spread the word? I could go along with that. Save you from yourself? Meh, not so much. I'd say simply to pass along the info and let you know that there are options.

Now, does it happen the way you say? Oh hell, yes!
One only need to take a quick glance at our politicians and do-gooders who want to "save you from yourself". Yep, some of those are religious in some way. Because they elect to bastardize the message and intent doesn't make the religion wrong. It says something about the person, not the religion.

No, my statement is based on what the previous user stated. And that those who aren't religious are doing it because THEY are scared of the consequences that would occur if they were - which makes no sense at all and if anything works the other way around.

Very confusing. I think that his point was twisted in some way. Hard to tell from what you just wrote.

That has nothing to do with physical proof being needed?...... you wouldn't be able to because you now know better, exactly the same principle.

Why yes it does! How many people in here are saying, "religion is poppycock because believers can't prove God exists?"

As for following the laws of God, it's a joke. The so-called laws of God change every few decades depending on how liberal the church is feeling at the time or how progressive society is.

Is that the religion itself or the people who lead it?

People sure do a lot to manipulate these so-called laws of God to fit their desires.

Yes. The sad part is they don't understand how that undermines the true basis of the religion itself.

Even you Christians

Are you sure want to include me in there?

...with the same god damn faith are so divided on what each part stands for and which should be taken literally,

Sounds like problems with the man, not the religion.

laws that are passed down through the bible, .....one can't use these laws to try justify someone's lack of belief.

I think you misspoke. If, not then I agree.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Like religion itself.
Oh the irony.
;)

The irony is that he used an ignorant and baseless statement to argue something he thought to be ignorant and baseless...

you must've nor missed that one...:P

:D
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

The commandments were basically plagiarized anyway from earlier Egyptian and Babylonian laws (See Chapter 125 of the Book of the Dead). How's that for unethical behavior? Ripping off someone else's ideas and claiming they came from your so-called "God"!

Give it up already, prof. You never made your case the last time you brought this up.

It's talking about 42 gods, two truths and how man has lived up to prefection of some laws...

It takes a stunning level of disregard to make such an ignorant claim with boldness.

I am quoting something that I have seen mentioned a few times by people on facebook

oh, facebook...

really...facebook?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K68otRfgmEk:D

It's exactly in line with what the person I addressed was saying, that the reason they behave 'well' is because of God and they think that without God people will act maliciously.

No it's not, he said nothing about malice. You're the one bringing up extremes of rape and murder as if that drives your point home because, "oh, I don't commit THOSE sins."

...but here's a direct quote from you that drives Jaybird's point home:

I don't have to worry about asking for forgiveness every time I commit a 'sin'.

I don't have to keep worrying about whether or not I am living my life according to "God's" book of rules.

I can lust over whom I please without guilt.

I can be jealous over what other people have without worrying about it.

I can show my true feelings towards people without having to try stick to lines of kindness.

In fact, I quite enjoy sinning.

So you see, you must understand Jaybird's point. Perhaps it's just that you may be a bitter apostate who subcribes to a non-theistic santanistic ideology and are just being difficult by simply grasping for straws while attributing your shallow, short-lived christian experience onto the rest of us.

This isn't about following some list of laws and rituals, man. It's not about comitting sins... it's about why we comit them. Christ taught us to look within ourselves first. He was more concerned with our personal spiritual condition. Secret non-malicious sin in the heart like hate, lust, and coveting is what leads to malicious sins like murder, adultry, theft and lies.

But it goes deeper than that. The question is this...why are we so filled with hate, lust and all these futile desires, that even though we can understand and have experienced their devastaion in this world, we are still so inclined to give into that carnality by saying things like..."this is just who I am," "I can lust over whom I please without guilt," "I don't care, I don't have to be kind...I can just be a prick and like it," let's eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die!" And we go on and live an utterly and completely defeated life in sumbission to this carnality wether you are aware of it or not...wether you care or not.

This is why I can't afford to go back there and adopt your prespective and be influenced by your drab, cliche bullish. Christianity has taught me to presevere and fight the good fight...and though I will be defeated many times, I get back up and fight to experience a glimpse of the eternal glory, joy and the fullness of pure life through spiritual victories that kills sin within me and frees me from the grasp of it's affects.

Now...if i just give up the fight to my carnal instincts, that's all that'll be left...and though there will be a sense of pleasure, it'll be only for a moment...leaving me to suffer the consequences in this life, just as it always had, as it eats away at everything pure, leaving me with nothing but a wretched, dead corpse in a wasteland destined to oblivion by an all consuming fire...

Now you may say you pity me...That I suffer and mourn over trivial things like lust and coveting, but I believe that mourning is a natural and healthy human emotion. Afterall, how are you ever to get over the death of a loved one if you never mourn...how are you ever to move on? It would be abhorrent to boast in death...so also it is with sin...they are two sides of the same coin.

The real problem is I tried to believe. Tried to feel the holy spirit move inside me. I realized I was faking it out of fear of hell-fire and brimstone. So I stepped away.
Why is it that when you don't believe in God you are somehow 'fallen' in nature, unrighteous?
I live ethically and honestly. I live well aware of the consequences my living has and how far it resonates at times.
If I am only guilty for being true to myself, to those around me and not living a lie, then so be it.
I am not worried about my salvation.

I applaud your action. If knowledge of God is not real or understood then you do more harm acting like it is than just stepping away from it. In the mean time God is reaching out to you. He will reveal Himself in a way you can understand if you do want to know Him. It will up to you to remove the stumbling blocks.

What I was referring to is the fact that God sees your thought life and not just your actions.

In order for something to be fact, there must be indisputable evidence. If you cannot produce such evidence, you should stop with the crazy claims.

The born-again Christian doesn’t rob the bank because his nature has been changed, his conscience bears witness, and he desires to act more and more conformed to the image of Christ.

I'm an atheist and I've never desired to rob a bank. I do not need some magical ghost to tell me that it is wrong to do so. My nature has been as it has always been.
Are you going to tell us, next, that born again Christians never go above the speed limit?
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

What's flawed is your requirement for physical proof of existence of God.

Green giraffes live on the bottom of the ocean. They are herded about by pink midgets. The giraffes eat apples from the tallest apple trees that grow in the deepest abyss. They like to play volley ball when they are not answering prayers from the true believers. It's true. As a matter of fact, it is a fact. No evidence is needed. You only have to have faith that it is true. Do you believe me? Do you need proof? If you do require proof, sorry, I have none. You just have to have faith that it is true.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Give it up already, prof. You never made your case the last time you brought this up.

Irony score 10/10 since there is NO EVIDENCE AT ALL for the existence of your "God".

It's talking about 42 gods, two truths and how man has lived up to prefection of some laws...

It takes a stunning level of disregard to make such an ignorant claim with boldness.

Irony score 10/10 since there is NO EVIDENCE AT ALL for the existence of your "God".

Lame...Don't be so daft you hypocrite. Your claim was never based on faith, so prove it with some evidence or just shut up about it and forever hold your peace.

I am quoting something that I have seen mentioned a few times by people on facebook

oh, facebook...

really...facebook?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K68otRfgmEk:D

And again you address something with zero relevance to the conversation, seems like 90% of your posts are doing that. Maybe spend less time on youtube and more thinking about what you want to say when addressing something.

It's exactly in line with what the person I addressed was saying, that the reason they behave 'well' is because of God and they think that without God people will act maliciously.

No it's not, he said nothing about malice. You're the one bringing up extremes of rape and murder as if that drives your point home because, "oh, I don't commit THOSE sins."

...but here's a direct quote from you that drives Jaybird's point home:

I don't have to worry about asking for forgiveness every time I commit a 'sin'.

I don't have to keep worrying about whether or not I am living my life according to "God's" book of rules.

I can lust over whom I please without guilt.

I can be jealous over what other people have without worrying about it.

I can show my true feelings towards people without having to try stick to lines of kindness.

In fact, I quite enjoy sinning.

So you see, you must understand Jaybird's point. Perhaps it's just that you may be a bitter apostate who subcribes to a non-theistic santanistic ideology and are just being difficult by simply grasping for straws while attributing your shallow, short-lived christian experience onto the rest of us.

Aww you seem a bit angry, may want to control that, it will lead to hell, dontcha know. I'd be bitter too if I were you, all caged in. And you'll notice that the lists I made above never hurt anyone, they're actions that are calculated to not hurt innocent people. And sadly for your argument, I am yet to meet a Christian who actually practices the 'turning the other cheek', so they're pretty much in line with me anyway.

In fact, all of those things are done by the vast majority of Christians too, the only difference is that they believe they have to repent afterwards, but you know as well as I do that they go back and do the same thing again. If anything God is a big get out of jail free card, and it's the believers who choose to believe because it sets them free from their actions. It's very easy to sin, ask for forgive and then go back out and do it the next day, which most people do. People don't sin once. And if you're trying to tell me that true Christians actually try hard to keep themselves from these actions, then I am yet to meet a true Christian.

This isn't about following some list of laws and rituals, man. It's not about comitting sins... it's about why we comit them. Christ taught us to look within ourselves first. He was more concerned with our personal spiritual condition. Secret non-malicious sin in the heart like hate, lust, and coveting is what leads to malicious sins like murder, adultry, theft and lies.

But it goes deeper than that. The question is this...why are we so filled with hate, lust and all these futile desires, that even though we can understand and have experienced their devastaion in this world, we are still so inclined to give into that carnality by saying things like..."this is just who I am," "I can lust over whom I please without guilt," "I don't care, I don't have to be kind...I can just be a prick and like it," let's eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die!" And we go on and live an utterly and completely defeated life in sumbission to this carnality wether you are aware of it or not...wether you care or not.

To live on this planet and to not be pissed off would take some kind of delusional act, oh right... Christianity works. Just believe that everything has a purpose and is God's will and everything is butterflies and rainbows. It's the people who don't have these feelings that are the ones at fault, they are lying to themselves, and maybe it's just me but I'd rather act off the truth than lie to myself to have a happier and carefree life.

You may lack self-control and you may need God to help you believe that only he can prevent you from acting out on your impulses. Some of us though, we don't need reassurance or some helping hand to help us refrain from acting on thought. I have the self control and frame of mind to think something, have the desire to do it but refrain from it because I don't want to hurt anyone, not because doing so may be against the lines of what God teaches.

The reason why we have feelings of hate and lust is because they are natural. And no one will ever be able to stop them from occurring, the only difference is that I am able to decide and control which emotions to act on by myself where you seem to need God to guide you through yours.

This is why I can't afford to go back there and adopt your prespective and be influenced by your drab, cliche bullish. Christianity has taught me to presevere and fight the good fight...and though I will be defeated many times, I get back up and fight to experience a glimpse of the eternal glory, joy and the fullness of pure life through spiritual victories that kills sin within me and frees me from the grasp of it's affects.

And once again, it shows that Christianity is something that YOU needed, not something that everybody else needed. Just because without God you made bad decisions and acted on impulse, doesn't mean that everybody else who doesn't believe follows the same path of destruction. As mentioned before, a simple calculation of the impact of your actions is all that is needed, not God. And so it ends up back to it being a personal decision, except it also shows that not everyone needs God to be a good person and that he isn't the saving grace for everyone, just you.

Now...if i just give up the fight to my carnal instincts, that's all that'll be left...and though there will be a sense of pleasure, it'll be only for a moment...leaving me to suffer the consequences in this life, just as it always had, as it eats away at everything pure, leaving me with nothing but a wretched, dead corpse in a wasteland destined to oblivion by an all consuming fire...

And again, that's an issue with you, not anyone else. There are plenty of non-believers out there who don't feel the need to follow the laws of God and suppress certain feelings, who live complete happy and fulfilled lives and are loved by many.

Nothing but a wretched, dead corpse in a wasteland destined to oblivion by an all consuming fire.

Enough to scare anyone Christian right?

Now you may say you pity me...That I suffer and mourn over trivial things like lust and coveting, but I believe that mourning is a natural and healthy human emotion. Afterall, how are you ever to get over the death of a loved one if you never mourn...how are you ever to move on? It would be abhorrent to boast in death...so also it is with sin...they are two sides of the same coin.

Since when are you all about natural human emotions? You think that lust isn't a natural healthy emotion? Without lust, there would be no human species. Mourning, which I have nothing against - can also lead to emotional trauma and in turn lead to feelings that lead to negative acts. Pretty much the same as hate, lust and other actions, as I said before... It is all about how you handle the feelings, God or no God.

As for conversations above on how it's not the religion it's "man" distorting religion.

Really?! One is going to use that argument? Religion has been distorted by man from the beginning. Pieces of the bible were omitted by MAN, MAN wrote the bible in the first place. MAN were the ones who had to translate the bible through time. MAN decided which parts should be relevant. MAN decided which parts are metaphors and which should be taken literally. Assuming there is a God, the religion has been out of his hands since the death of Jesus and since that time, it's all been handled by man. Everything you hear about religion and everything you read in the bible, it's all just man's portrayal of what he thinks Christianity is. Unless of course God was talking for the fun of it in the scriptures that were omitted from the bible.

(And now to make sure that I don't open this thread again and get sucked into never ending debates)

What's flawed is your requirement for physical proof of existence of God.

Green giraffes live on the bottom of the ocean. They are herded about by pink midgets. The giraffes eat apples from the tallest apple trees that grow in the deepest abyss. They like to play volley ball when they are not answering prayers from the true believers. It's true. As a matter of fact, it is a fact. No evidence is needed. You only have to have faith that it is true. Do you believe me? Do you need proof? If you do require proof, sorry, I have none. You just have to have faith that it is true.

Gotcha! They do NOT play volley ball. They ball would float away. So they play 3-D shuffle board instead. I was told so by someone who was spoken to in a dream by the oldest of the green giraffes.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

That was the "old" story, there's some new interpretations out that do in fact cover the "Green Giraffe" movement.

How the hell did humans keep this foolishness going for so damn long anyway?
Are sheeple really THAT desperate and gullible????
Yes, they do certainly seem to be.

Are sheeple really THAT desperate and gullible????

"Oh God that woman is so hot -- I'll do anything to get in her pants tonight"

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)