jclalor

Stewart v Wallace

And from Stewart himself:

“I think there is, probably a liberal bias that exists within the media because of the medium in which it exists,” Stewart said. “I think that the majority of people working in it probably hold liberal viewpoints, but I don’t think they are as relentlessly activist as the conservative movement that has risen up over the last 40 years and that movement has decided that they have been victims of a witch hunt. And to some extent they’re right. People on the right are called racists and they’re called things with an ease that I am uncomfortable with and homophobic and all those other things. I think that that is absolutely something that they have a real right to be angry about and to feel that they have been vilified for those things. And I’ve been guilty of some of those things myself.”

Breaking news - fish notices water.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And from Stewart himself:

“I think there is, probably a liberal bias that exists within the media because of the medium in which it exists,” Stewart said. “I think that the majority of people working in it probably hold liberal viewpoints, but I don’t think they are as relentlessly activist as the conservative movement that has risen up over the last 40 years and that movement has decided that they have been victims of a witch hunt. And to some extent they’re right. People on the right are called racists and they’re called things with an ease that I am uncomfortable with and homophobic and all those other things. I think that that is absolutely something that they have a real right to be angry about and to feel that they have been vilified for those things. And I’ve been guilty of some of those things myself.”

Breaking news - fish notices water.

Ithought this was the most profound thing he said

One’s perspective and world views have the ability to totally screw up ones thinking. It can cloud the truth (On both sides of the political spectrum)

At least he recognizes that. And that says a lot!

I enjoyed the debate between them. To say Stewart had his way with Wallace is dishonest. Wallace did not have his way with Stewart either

I for one, would like to see them have a go at it again. I enjoyed it. I think they did too
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

no idea about msnbc, but I've certainly heard leftist hosts prevent their callers from completing a sentence to avoid having to counter it.

It weakens their argument.

but if the point is to entertain like minded viewership who wants to see him bash a conservative, it works just fine.

Watch the unedited version. Wallace clearly admits that Fox is not balanced and exists to provide the conservative point of view. I wonder why that part didn't make it on the air?

In the end that is how I take Stewarts point. Yes, a lot of news has some form of liberal slant, since the people working in the industry tend to be liberal. However, the other major networks (with the exception of MSNBC, who are clearly following the FOX model), don't solely exist to provide only one side of the coin.

Watch the unedited version. Wallace clearly admits that Fox is not balanced and exists to provide the conservative point of view. I wonder why that part didn't make it on the air?

In the end that is how I take Stewarts point. Yes, a lot of news has some form of liberal slant, since the people working in the industry tend to be liberal. However, the other major networks (with the exception of MSNBC, who are clearly following the FOX model), don't solely exist to provide only one side of the coin.

I did watch the unedited version
I think both were honest in their views
But I disagree with Stewart when it comes to just media slant because of view points
They ARE activists
FOX, while slanted right, is more balanced over all than the other networks

at least IMO

I said when I was 18 many years ago that the media was the problem. I believed that then. And it has only gotten worse
Abraham Lincoln

Just like I can't argue with people who get their news from the Comedy Channel, I can't argue with that either....

Be that as it may
I do not get most of my news from any of them

I do not watch tv news shows of any kind for the most part

But saying the FOX is biased and the others are not, if just a lie
Abraham Lincoln

That's not what Stewart said. There is a difference between having a bias and have bias as your mission statement (but then claim you don't have a bias and are fair and balanced).

That's not what Stewart said. There is a difference between having a bias and have bias as your mission statement (but then claim you don't have a bias and are fair and balanced).

I know what Stewart said
And he is wrong

And FOX is more balanced
At least when compared to the others
By a long shot
Abraham Lincoln

How many times do you see Maddow, Shultz, Matthews or Olbermann (when he was on MSNBC) have conservative guests? I see liberals every time I watch Hannity and O'Reilly. Juan Williams and a lot of other liberals are nearly regulars. In fact juan Williams has hosted O'Reilly. When did you see a conservative filling in for one of the liberal talk show hosts?

I know what Stewart said
And he is wrong

Not according to Wallace he isn't. Or do you think Wallace is wrong too about his own employer?

What are you talking about?
Abraham Lincoln

What are you talking about?

yes, I had this nagging feeling you weren't quite understanding what Stewart meant, or what I was talking about.

I know exactly what stewart was talking about
I dont understand what you think Wallace said
Abraham Lincoln

How many times do you see Maddow, Shultz, Matthews or Olbermann (when he was on MSNBC) have conservative guests? I see liberals every time I watch Hannity and O'Reilly. Juan Williams and a lot of other liberals are nearly regulars. In fact juan Williams has hosted O'Reilly. When did you see a conservative filling in for one of the liberal talk show hosts?

He is as blinded in his position as Stewart is in his.

Must be a liberal affliction[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

They invite conservatives all the time..but for some reason the "conservatives" will not show up. That would require the "conservatives" to answer real questions instead of that paragon of virtuesque Jeff Gannon soft balls they will not go on any of the other media outlets and prefer to run to Fox to get their viewpoints and missives from on high to their faithful followers.

>How many times do you see Maddow, Shultz, Matthews or Olbermann (when he was
>on MSNBC) have conservative guests?

I recall Terry Gross having O'Reilly on once. He walked out. I think perhaps that after that they stuck to guests who were willing to do interviews.

I recall Terry Gross having O'Reilly on once. He walked out. I think perhaps that after that they stuck to guests who were willing to do interviews.

i doubt O'Reilly is the ONLY Conservative willing to do interviews. If that's the only example you can come up with, I'd say my statement is true.

i doubt O'Reilly is the ONLY Conservative willing to do interviews. If that's the only example you can come up with, I'd say my statement is true.

And your statement would still be FALSE...

Maddow had a nutbag Tea Bagger from Southern Oregon on during the last election...and has had others.

They run away faster than an olympic athlete's world record when invited on their shows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DetS7ZFRM7Y

>Meanwhile, particular Fox shows -- such as The O’Reilly Factor and Sean
>Hannity’s show -- actually score consistently well, occasionally even
>outpacing Stewart’s own audience."

Which, I think, was one of Stewart's main points. It's both strange and a little sad that Fox News compares themselves to a comedy show as a source of news information for people.

Stewart made the comparison, as did Poltifact. And it wasn't just TDS that those shows beat out:

" February 2007 Political Knowledge Survey. Pew asked respondents 23 questions, such as who the vice president is, who the president of Russia is, whether the Chief Justice is conservative, which party controls the U.S. House of Representatives and whether the U.S. has a trade deficit. The ability to answer 15 of these questions correctly earned the respondent a place in the "high knowledge" category."...."Since Stewart was referring to "media viewers," this doesn’t undercut his point. However, the data includes an important counterpoint to Stewart’s claim: Viewers of at least one show on Fox scored quite well -- The O’Reilly Factor, of whom 51 percent made it into the high knowledge group. That made it equal to National Public Radio."

and for Hannity:

"April 2008 Media Survey. Compared to the 2007 survey, the 2008 survey looked at a wider variety of media outlets but used a narrower selection of questions designed to test the respondent’s current-affairs knowledge. The pollsters asked three questions: "Do you happen to know which political party has a majority in the U.S. House of Representatives?" "Can you tell me the name of the current U.S. Secretary of State?" And "who is the current prime minister of Great Britain?" Anyone who went three-for-three earned the high knowledge designation...And once again, particular Fox shows scored well above the average. Hannity & Colmes was one of only four choices to exceed 40 percent -- the others were the New Yorker/the Atlantic, NPR and MSNBC’s Hardball"

So yes, at worst, Fox News viewers are as informed (or arguably, slightly better) than the national average. Watchers of Oreilly and Hannity oth, are more informed than the majority of viewers of other news shows (including other networks) as they both ranked in the top tier.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

>Stewart made the comparison, as did Poltifact.

As did Wallace. (And as you do below.) Again, I don't think it's sad that people who watch a comedy show (or who watch FOX) are misinformed. I do think it's a bit sad that Wallace played videos from Comedy Central to defend himself from the claim that FOX is not a serious news channel.

Really? Rather than showcase the accuracy of your news, your argument is that you are not any worse of a news commentator than a COMEDIAN? What's next? Will Mitt Romney say he is a better politician than Dave Chappelle? Will Sarah Palin claim she knows just as much about foreign policy as Lady Gaga? Will Obama claim that he's actually tougher than Edward James Olmos?