JohnRich

City: Keep parked pickup trucks out of sight overnight

>What's the point of being a millionaire if you can't build a garage big enough for your
>truck, Ferrari, Bugatti, boat, etc.? Heck, I even have a hangar for my plane.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe some millionaires prefer to use their garages for building kitplanes, running the business that made them the million etc.

>Personally I don't want my neighborhood to be full of mobile billboards for businesses.

You're right! Outlaw logo trucks, bumper stickers and flags in your neighborhood. Why let your neighbors put their commercial interests, political views and governmental views out there? It's like they're jamming their bumpers straight into your eyes.

Save the eyes!

Can HOA's be imposed upon landowners or do they have to be set up during the initial subdivision?

The HOA's enforce the covenents and restrictions (C&R's). The C&R's are created when the real estate subdivision is first constructed, before any homes are sold on the lots. You have to sign those C&R's when you purchase a house in the subdivision, agreeing to abide by them.

So the argument in favor of such rules goes: If you don't like the C&R's, then don't buy a house there.

But some of them go too far, and there's so much fine print in those C&R's, it's hard to read and understand their full impact, when they're shoved at you amidst a huge pile of other forms to be signed. And usually the C&R's don't even come up, until late in the process when you've already made an offer on a home, and it's hard to back out at that time.

Personally I don't want my neighborhood to be full of mobile billboards for businesses.

That's meaningless unless you state how far you'd go with pushing your "want".

Is it your opinion that you don't like it?

I already stated that.

But you neglected to answer the rest of it, John. Is there a reason for that?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And usually the C&R's don't even come up, until late in the process when you've already made an offer on a home, and it's hard to back out at that time.

Which points out that it's a great idea to ask about these, and other, things before any money changes hands.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

For several years, before her passing, my mother lived in a 'condo community'. They of course, had their HOA. One of their silly rules was... 'NO rose bushes'! Growing-up, my mother had rose bushes around our house. Shortly after she moved into her condo, I helped her plant some rose bushes. A while later, when those bushes began to bloom, the president of the HOA was walking past my mom's place and commented on how absolutely beautiful her roses were! Poor ol' gal didn't even know her own 'rules'! :D:D:D

chuck

I'm sure it differs by state but when I owned in a community that had restrictive covenants I was basically told by a lawyer friend that they were all but unenforceable. I never had reason to test that and our homeowners association didn't seem very intent on enforcing anything in any case so I don't know how true that is.
That was in North Carolina.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I'm sure it differs by state but when I owned in a community that had restrictive covenants I was basically told by a lawyer friend that they were all but unenforceable. I never had reason to test that and our homeowners association didn't seem very intent on enforcing anything in any case so I don't know how true that is.

Our 1st house here in Texas was in a new neighborhood that was off the chain with covenants...

I put out one of those yard bench swings out front for 4 hours on a Memorial Day when the in-laws were here so they could sit & watch the kids play. It was back in by 5pm that evening.

Next day I had a photo of it and a bill for 500.00 in my mailbox. :D:D:D

The HOA Nazi was a guy three houses down, so I put the swing in HIS yard, took a pic of it and sent HIM a bill for a grand! >:(

The guy called the cops on me once for packing rigs in the front yard, he was taking pictures and I asked/told him to leave, "I'm having you arrested...there's a 'no camping' covenant rule." :o

The cops wrote HIM up for being an asshole. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The C&R's are an open ended contract. What I have observed is that HOA's get taken over by a bunch of nosy busybodies that want to start running everyone's life. So, that perfectly reasonable C&R morphs into a monstrosity created by control freaks that need to dictate how everyone else behaves.

-We don't want the grass to be more than 2" high
- You have to edge your lawn now instead of just cutting it
-You can't hang a wreath on your front door
-Your mailbox is the wrong color
-You can't have red mulch in your flowerbed
- I can see part of the boat you have parked behind your hose from the street if stand right here and crane my neck like so

yadda yadda yadda

I have always called them "Yard Nazis", and would be hard-pressed to live somewhere with a HOA.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

For several years, before her passing, my mother lived in a 'condo community'. They of course, had their HOA. One of their silly rules was... 'NO rose bushes'! Growing-up, my mother had rose bushes around our house. Shortly after she moved into her condo, I helped her plant some rose bushes. A while later, when those bushes began to bloom, the president of the HOA was walking past my mom's place and commented on how absolutely beautiful her roses were! Poor ol' gal didn't even know her own 'rules'! :D:D:D

Yeah, if they just ignore the stupid rules it works out nice. But sooner or later someone comes along that insists on enforcing even the stupid rules.

A few years ago I got nasty letters about bald spots in the grass of my front lawn. I ended up covering the whole front yard with rock so I'd never have to worry about bald spots again. But anyway, I read the covenents and restrictions with a fine tooth comb, then drove by the homes of each and every HOA board member, and noted numerous discrepencies for each and every one of them - hoses laying out in the open, illegal signs, etc. Just little stuff, but nevertheless, against the rules. So I wrote them all letters duplicating their own nasty-gram format.

Shortly thereafter they published in the newsletter that official rule violation notices would have a special watermark on them, and that all others are fraudulent and should be ignored. Ha!

Where I live, we have dirt/gravel roads, our own road maintenance crew (2-men). Folks move out here from the big cities to live 'the country life' yet, they don't have a clue. Most of them drive on our roads like it's I-20 0r I-35. They keep the roads tore-up and blame everyone and every thing but themselves. We're in a severe droughtnd need moisture to work the roads. We've put-up speed limit signs that just get ignored. There's nothing in our covenants about 'speeding'. Since we are a 'private residential area', law enforcement can't help us. I had to laugh, though... the other day, one of our notorious speeders vehicle was on the side of the road with the rear axle sticking out of the housing! :D

Chuck

Not from my limited experience. Almost bought a house in a subdivision on a pond. Started asking about parking an RV and was told a story of a guy in the neighborhood that drove a rig and got in trouble with the HOA even though he parked just the truck, not the trailer, in his own driveway. He ended up having to park it at a storage place. :S

F that. I'm in a neighborhood with no HOA. I could walk around my front yard naked and the only thing my neigbors could legally do is call the cops. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The only answer is to live somewhere that there is enough land that you own (and your neighbors own same amount), where you can't see them walking around nekkid, and they can't see you.:) This neighborhood has no HOA, just the measly half-dozen covenants that were put in place when the land was sold off one parcel at a time. Everyone has a different builder, so all the houses are unique. :)
In this ideal/hypothetical neighborhood, everyone has a big pick-um-up truck (no Dakotas allowed).>:( All boats cost 100k +, so when they are parked, they look cool.B| There enough garages that no one can see where the Jags, Porches, Vettes, and Lambos are hidden. ;)

There is, also, one vineyard, just so the place has class!

Gosh, I want to live there. *sigh*

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Can HOA's be imposed upon landowners or do they have to be set up during the initial subdivision?

They are either setup during the initial subdivision or can be entered into later. They can't just annex your property into one though.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Not from my limited experience. Almost bought a house in a subdivision on a pond. Started asking about parking an RV and was told a story of a guy in the neighborhood that drove a rig and got in trouble with the HOA even though he parked just the truck, not the trailer, in his own driveway. He ended up having to park it at a storage place. :S

F that. I'm in a neighborhood with no HOA. I could walk around my front yard naked and the only thing my neigbors could legally do is call the cops. :)

Like I said, I never had cause to test that advice. The HOA can always send you nasty letters. They can also attempt to find you. However, to truly enforce anything they need to go to court. Legal fees are expensive and courts (I was told) are loathe to enforce the covenants anyway. That said, if you moved into a neighborhood that said no RVs and then tried to park an RV there, well, that kind of makes you an ass. So I agree better just to avoid them.

The excessively nitpicky rules against Roses and guys trying to keep you from packing a parachute in your front yard, etc. just gives the whole concept a bad name.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Personally I don't want my neighborhood to be full of mobile billboards for businesses.

That's meaningless unless you state how far you'd go with pushing your "want".

Is it your opinion that you don't like it?

I already stated that.

But you neglected to answer the rest of it, John. Is there a reason for that?

I answered - it's just that none of his multiple guess options were correct; pay more attention.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>What's the point of being a millionaire if you can't build a garage big enough for your

Oh, I don't know. Maybe some millionaires prefer to use their garages for building kitplanes, running the business that made them the million etc.

>Personally I don't want my neighborhood to be full of mobile billboards for businesses.

You're right! Outlaw logo trucks, bumper stickers and flags in your neighborhood. Why let your neighbors put their commercial interests, political views and governmental views out there? It's like they're jamming their bumpers straight into your eyes.

Save the eyes!

If millionaires don't want to live in my village they can buy a house in the cheaper one that's 2 miles away. Moving here and then complaining about the ordinances is like buying a house next to an airport and then complaining about jet noise.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Save the eyes!

If millionaires don't want to live in my village they can buy a house in the cheaper one that's 2 miles away. Moving here and then complaining about the ordinances is like buying a house next to an airport and then complaining about jet noise.

That's is!

We moved to an older section of the same town, old assn. rules, which are all but non-existent.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~